Most reliable Jeep wrangler made - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Most reliable Jeep wrangler made

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-16-2008, 09:17 AM   #1
kanjii

Most reliable Jeep wrangler made

First timer here looking to purchase a used Jeep. Love the style of the TJ series and CJs...something about those round headlights

Anyways, I am looking for the most reliable year or series made. 6cylinders and 5sp which is what I want. I don't plan to rock crawl with them, just wonderful weeknd getaways and looking forward to those famous Jeep waves.

Last edited by kanjii; 05-16-2008 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: information not necessary
kanjii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2008, 09:20 AM   #2
FifteenCents
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Personally I would recommend the TJ, the coil springs are nicer on the
road. There is a whole lot of aftermarket stuff for both so that is not
an issue. The TJ will get a little better MPG due to the updated computer.
The main problem I have and hear the most about is the Trottle Position Sensor
fails fairly regularly, I have replaced mine twice in 6 years. It gets bad spots in
it that causes the computer to get confused, which affects drivability.

But as always, listen to advice but go with what you want.

http://www.tjhardcore.com
The ultimate TJ owners only forum
FifteenCents is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2008, 09:24 AM   #3
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The '94 will have those bastard square headlights.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2008, 09:24 AM   #4
FifteenCents
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Did you post this in the YJ section too, I'd like to find out what they say...

Unread 05-16-2008, 09:24 AM   #5
rayar3
If Jeeps could fly...

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Well the 1994 is a YJ, with those square headlights that you're not a fan of. There are differences in TJ's too, little updates like on the interior, some engine/ignition changes. TJ's were made 1997-2006, YJ's 1987-1995

All comes down to the $$$$ you want to pay.
Unread 05-16-2008, 09:29 AM   #6
snowrydr01
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I would also reccomend a TJ, i have had a TJ and a YJ and the differences are night and day. Accourding to JP magazine (good source of info for first timers) the most reliable years are the 2000-2004 6cl since those are the years they threw a trans in that was WAY beefier then ever needed. That being said the AX-15 trans from 97-99 in 6cl are still solid and will handle most of what you are planning to do. Mine personally started to get iffy around 100K but still went past 120K when i sold it, you just had to be easy going into second gear.
snowrydr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2008, 09:30 AM   #7
kanjii

Thanks. I will post this also in the other forums too. I have edited the thread also
kanjii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2008, 09:39 AM   #8
FifteenCents
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowrydr01 View Post
I would also reccomend a TJ, i have had a TJ and a YJ and the differences are night and day. Accourding to JP magazine (good source of info for first timers) the most reliable years are the 2000-2004 6cl since those are the years they threw a trans in that was WAY beefier then ever needed. That being said the AX-15 trans from 97-99 in 6cl are still solid and will handle most of what you are planning to do. Mine personally started to get iffy around 100K but still went past 120K when i sold it, you just had to be easy going into second gear.

Hey, great first post...

Unread 05-16-2008, 09:44 AM   #9
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here's a good link that lists the major changes to the TJ over the model years:

http://www.geocities.com/jeepboy49028/changes.html
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2008, 09:48 AM   #10
BChamberlin
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanjii View Post
First timer here looking to purchase a used Jeep. Love the style of the TJ series and CJs...something about those round headlights

Anyways, I am looking for the most reliable year or series made. 6cylinders and 5sp which is what I want. I don't plan to rock crawl with them, just wonderful weeknd getaways and looking forward to those famous Jeep waves.
I've got the 99 Sport which has the I6.... I've heard that's probably one of the better Jeep engines. I get a little depressed about gas milage from time to time but then I see one of the new JK's (which I am not a fan of) and think wow... they arne't getting much better gas mileage AND they're paying $400 a month. LOL! Nothing beats a paid off vehicle that's reliable. As you can tell, I'm not a fan of car payments.
BChamberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2008, 09:55 AM   #11
djt283
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have a TJ, and I've never had a YJ so I can't say from experience which is better. I do love my TJ though. Another thing to keep in mind is that if you get the newest model you can afford, you may end up with some improvements (and lower mileage). My '01, for example, does not have a distributer, which makes routine maintenance even easier.

Look over the above link to TJ models, and see all the changes from year to year.
djt283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2008, 10:04 AM   #12
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
The '94 will have those bastard square headlights.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2008, 10:09 AM   #13
Bmel17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

buy an H3

SIKE!

test drive one of them all (CJ, YJ, TJ, JK) see which one you like first then look to consumers digest for reliability ratings. Then buy something your comfortable with, and have fun. They are all Jeeps so we'll all wave you no matter what!
Bmel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2008, 10:11 AM   #14
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchamberlin View Post
I've got the 99 Sport which has the I6.... I've heard that's probably one of the better Jeep engines. I get a little depressed about gas milage from time to time but then I see one of the new JK's (which I am not a fan of) and think wow... they arne't getting much better gas mileage AND they're paying $400 a month. LOL! Nothing beats a paid off vehicle that's reliable. As you can tell, I'm not a fan of car payments.
I agree completely.I actually thought of getting a JK and fixing it up.Then I came to my senses.The thought of car payments and $5000 to fix up something I really don't even like the looks of pretty much cured the insanity.My 98' has been great and still has another 10 years worth of mileage in it.All my money goes into mods(and beer),not payments.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2008, 10:34 AM   #15
Lud04X
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I've had both the YJ and TJ. Still wish I kept the YJ. Would have been fun to have 2 Jeeps!

The YJ is kinda cool in its own way. I actually like the square headlights and how the instrument gauges are laid out. Never seen another dash like that. If you're going for a YJ go for a 1991-1995 since they have fuel injection and please go with the inline 6. I had 180,000 on mine with only the Throttle Position Sensor going out once.

I now have a TJ because I wanted A/C and the coil springs. I think it has more flex than the YJ. If you go with a TJ go for 2001 and up. It has an improved exhaust manifold that won't crack like the older TJ's, less TPS problems from what I hear, it is a distributorless ignition, and the soft top is quieter on the road, due to the 4 ply sail cloth top.
35x12.5x15 Goodyear MTR's w/ Kevlar, MT Classic II's
D44 rear axle w/ ARB, alloy shafts, 4.56 gears
Dana 30 with ARB, 4.56 gears, alloy shafts and ujoints
Lud04X is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.