Most common oil pan skid - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Most common oil pan skid

Swag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear BumperAll Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Iron Rock Offroad products - get them from Kolak!

Unread 03-26-2005, 06:03 AM   #1
ctcjason

Most common oil pan skid

Most common oil pan skid

I am looking for the most common oil pan skid, cost and where to get them. I was just looking through Quadratec and they have some that mount with adhesive Click Here ??? WTF?? To me I would think that can’t hold up at all.

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Gun Metal Blue Jeep Club Member #4[/COLOR]
ctcjason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2005, 07:41 AM   #2
cwlongshot
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have this and it seems to work well. I do not find I hit it very often, but on the occasion that I do, I am glad it is there!!! I found one once on a trial in Paragon Park Penn!!! I guess that poor bastard did not attack it too well. Use plenty of silicone, in the right places, if you do get it.

Nth Drgree makes another one that bolts on. It looks a bit more sturdy.

CW
'99 TJ • 4.0 • 5 spd • D30 W/AUSSIE & 8.8 W/ECTED • 4:10's • http://cave76.org/forums/cromag.php?...g&u=cwlongshot

'89 MJ • 4.0 • AW4 • Hi-Pinion D30 with SPARTAN • D44 W/DETROIT LOCKER • 4:56's • http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1230
cwlongshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2005, 08:16 AM   #3
Jay-Mac

for the "low cost" by a bolt on one that gives u much much more protecton, while one that is mounted to the bell housing (i believe nth degree's) will take much more abuse. And they look good
chopped tube bumpers
warn m8000
optima yellow top
31X10.5 BFG'S MT'S

Near Future Mods:
Garvin wilderness rack and basket
Arb Snorkel
Safari/duster/windjammer combo sealed?

Famous Last Words "Hold onto your panties!.....SH*T"
Jay-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2005, 08:23 AM   #4
rhinoss

I have not purchased it yet, although I do like the one that Jay-Mac is speaking of. It bolts on using the bolts from the inspection cover of the clutch. I trust it 1000x more than I would trust silicone to hold that kind of needed protection on my vehicle.
rhinoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2005, 10:47 AM   #5
ColoradoTJ
2012 JK Wrangler 

I bought a Warn one from Red Rock 4x4 seems like it was $150 shipped. I have yet to install it though so I can't coment on durability.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #60

My Jeep

"If we weren't all crazy we would go insane" J.B.
ColoradoTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2005, 02:37 PM   #6
TJ=MT Pockets
2000 TJ Wrangler 

skidrow. http://www.skidplates.com covers everything and works as a slider over the rocks.
Y2K 4L 5spd TJ Sport--4.5" RE SF all adj. arms--1" BL--1" MML--33"bias swampers(soon to be 36" swamper sx's on rockcity diy beadlocks)--D44 4.88's arb w/alloy usa shafts--HPD30 4.88's locrite w/warn alloy inners--warn small hub kit--longfield hd u-joints--currie steering--currie anti-rock--tera low--A-Z Fab cage--and a bunch of skids
TJ=MT Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2005, 06:24 PM   #7
ctcjason

Thanks Guy! If any of you have pics I would love to see them....
[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Gun Metal Blue Jeep Club Member #4[/COLOR]
ctcjason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2005, 08:03 PM   #8
thejafe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Here's my suggestion... Nthº Mobility Oil Pan Skid:

You can view more pics of mine here:

http://homepage.mac.com/thejafe/PhotoAlbum26.html

This item can be purchased straight from Nthº at their site for $135:

http://www.nthdegreemobility.com/EngineOilSkid.htm

You won't be disappointed...!
thejafe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2005, 10:54 PM   #9
BNovak

If i end up getting another one I'm getting the Nth degree. The warn is a POS in my book. If you go the warn route, bet some 1x4" steel stock and weld it onto the plate to make it stronger.

-BN
Unread 03-26-2005, 11:13 PM   #10
kizer

I currently have the Toys By Troy oil pan skid. I did a write-up a week or two ago and posted it on here. You can find it on my front page of my site. Use the link in my signature.

It bolts up to the back of the transmission and the front cups the front of the oil pan. Its so low profile I've never come close to hitting it. Most of your other engine skids hang lower as well they protect more. As well I'm running a 1-inch motor mount lift so I have 1-inch of additional insurance. Not much when coming down on a big rock that doesn't measure.
kizer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2005, 11:46 PM   #11
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I ran that siliconed-on skidplate from TurboCity for a few years. Then one day I was about to change the oil and discovered that it was gone, and I have no idea where it fell off. Others I know had them fall off too so they're not all that reliable.

I'm now running a Tera oilpan skidplate but I can't recommend it since it is only supported at one end. I'll probably be going with the Nth Mobility one of these days as mentioned above. I've seen them a few times and they look to be a good and strong design.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2005, 07:25 AM   #12
StealthTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizer
I currently have the Toys By Troy oil pan skid. I did a write-up a week or two ago and posted it on here. You can find it on my front page of my site. Use the link in my signature.

It bolts up to the back of the transmission and the front cups the front of the oil pan. Its so low profile I've never come close to hitting it. Most of your other engine skids hang lower as well they protect more. As well I'm running a 1-inch motor mount lift so I have 1-inch of additional insurance. Not much when coming down on a big rock that doesn't measure.
The problem with that skid (and the one the Tera makes which is real similar), is that if you get a rock (or anything) up behind the skid, where it bolts to the bellhousing, and then have to back it, it can, literally, break the bellhousing..
It's happened before with the Tera skid..

Fred
[b]Misc[/b] - Tera 2wd lo.
[b]Tires[/b] - 35x12.50 MT/R's siped on 15x7 Champion Beadlocks.
[b]Recovery[/b] - Warn XD9000i
StealthTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2005, 08:53 AM   #13
Raybz

Warn....you can get it from the dealer for $120 no shipping

there is a dealer here by me that gives a 20% discount for some clubs ( I happen to be in one of them ) so I got MINE for $95
Unread 03-27-2005, 10:51 AM   #14
mparker
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have the skid row (skidplates.com) skid plate. I had a rock give way and shift underneath me. I landed hard on this skid plate and a gouge in the powder coat was the only damage. This thing supported the whole weight of my Jeep after an impact.

The whole reason i own this thing is that I have an auto-tranny. Prior to installing the skid plate, I had put a hole in the auto-tranny once. No tranny fluid=no movement. After winching myself out of the rock garden I was sorry I had cheaped out and not bought the necessary skid plates. I had already put this skid plate on my to-do list, but I kept getting the other stuff first, lift, winch etc.

In hind sight, the skid plates were more important than the lift. The lift made it so i could tackle bigger rocks. But regardless of the size of rocks, ROCKS BITE BACK! Having adequate protection is more important than anything else.

A skid plate is not something you upgrade later. Find something you trust that meets with your future mod plans, things such as a long-arm lift can impact your skid-plate purchase. Don't make your decision on price, since a trail recovovery sucks because your buddy has to tow you out, or you have to pay a mint to a tow truck driver. Make your decision based on what will work, then find the vendor that will give you the best price on your equipment choice.

If I were in your shoes I would look at Skid Row or Nth (both mentoned above. The difference I see is that the Nth gives more ground clearance, however the Skid Row provides more coverage (from the exhast to the factory transfer case skid.)

Once i can get in some grubbys I will climb under my Jeep with the digi cam and take a couple pics to post if you would like.
mparker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2005, 12:20 PM   #15
BNovak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raybz
Warn....you can get it from the dealer for $120 no shipping

there is a dealer here by me that gives a 20% discount for some clubs ( I happen to be in one of them ) so I got MINE for $95

Yeah, but does there 20% discounnt cover a new oil pan when the warn buckles on a rock and breaks your oil filler off?

Mine took one hit that literally pushed the oil drain BELOW the level of the skid - lot of good the skid was after that.

Took it off, drove over it to flatten it out, and then welded some steel onto it to make it stronger.

It's only 3/16 stamped - if you are getting one, get at least 1/4" or it will have to be strengthened if you run rocks.

I'll try and take a picture of what mine looks likt now, even after being flattened out.

=-BN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.