More Problems with Lift Install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > More Problems with Lift Install

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-23-2005, 11:57 PM   #1
rjkjoe

More Problems with Lift Install

Alright, I'm calling it a night for installing my 1 1/4 body lift and 1" BMML. I've got everything in place except I can't get the front mount lined up right (as posted before) and I can't get the passenger side bolt tight underneeth the Jeep because of a bolt in the way that wasn't there when I took the motor mount off to begin with. Now I tried my shifter and it won't stay in 2nd 4th or 6th. What should I do????

rjkjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2005, 12:01 AM   #2
AjRagno
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjkjoe
What should I do????
Go to bed

I'm sure you'll be fine tomorrow, when you're refreshed.
AjRagno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2005, 01:45 AM   #3
Moab Man

The body lift and motor mount are causing your shifter to hit against the opening in the floor. You will most likely need to cut the hole larger.
Moab Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2005, 08:10 AM   #4
rjkjoe

Cut what? How do I get the shifter boot off? This is turning into a huge headache. But I guess it'll be worth it when I'm done.
Unread 09-24-2005, 08:45 AM   #5
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Normally you would have to adjust your shifter boot... but because you have a 6 speed (leather shift boot, bag style), I'm assuming your boot isn't catching... does the boot bunch up a lot when you shift into 2 4 or 6? If so move it up an inch... pop the boot off of the bezel on the console and there will be a ring around the shift itself... move that up an inch. If that doesn't help, take the boot off completely and shift... see what it's getting hung up on.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2005, 09:40 AM   #6
rjkjoe

The boot is bunching up when trying to shift in 2nd 4th and 6th. How do I remove the shifter bezel?
Unread 09-24-2005, 09:44 AM   #7
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The boot is bunching up when trying to shift in 2nd 4th and 6th. How do I remove the shifter bezel?
I know on the 5 speed it just pops up with a little force... just put the tip of your fingers around it and pull up... should pop right out.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2005, 11:03 AM   #8
PDX_XJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Get creative and move your console back 1" or so. That's what I did. Works great.

Another alternative is now getting a flat skid.
Unread 09-24-2005, 11:06 AM   #9
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_XJ
Get creative and move your console back 1" or so. That's what I did. Works great.

Another alternative is now getting a flat skid.
Moving the console back is probably the best/easiest way to eliminate this problem. Installing a flat skid opens up a whole new can of worms.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2005, 09:21 AM   #10
rjkjoe

Any more suggestions on relocating the shifter. If I take the boot off I can shift through all the gears. Has anyone heated up the shifter stick and bent it foward. I'm thinking this might be the easy solution.
Unread 09-25-2005, 10:53 AM   #11
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Any more suggestions on relocating the shifter. If I take the boot off I can shift through all the gears. Has anyone heated up the shifter stick and bent it foward. I'm thinking this might be the easy solution.
Once again, it'd be a whole lot easier to just move the console back an inch as many do. Take it off, redrill the floors in the hole 1" further back and remount it.

One more thing you can try first is to remove the neopreme piece that is at the bottom of the shift lever underneath the shift boot. Pull the shift boot away from its mounting flange by grabbing it at the corner and lifting up. You'll see the neopreme tube underneath that is there only to support the boot... that doesn't really need supporting. That piece of neopreme can restrictsthe shift lever throw a bit after a body lift has been installed so removing it may fix your shifting problem. It can't hurt, I took mine out 7-8 years ago for this reason.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2005, 12:13 PM   #12
rjkjoe

I'd move my console back however there is no room. It extends all the way to the back seat where the floorboard raises and the cup holders are right against that. That's why I'm looking for alternative ideas.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.