Mopar has a new pan for the 42RLE transmission - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Mopar has a new pan for the 42RLE transmission

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 08-24-2010, 04:18 PM   #31
undercoverfab
Vendor
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
if this pan magically cures my 42RLE woes, I will be one happy man.

i've always thought a dry sump tranny pan, with an external oil filter & reservoir would make the most sense for 42RLE...hmm...i have the old pan...worth looking into maybe??
I installed the new Mopar pan today with my engine skid. No clearance issues. In fact, I can't really see a significant reason to "upgrade". I just installed it to check for clearance.

One positive side effect is that I discovered my transmission was overfilled by at least a quart. Got that squared away and my 42RLE is running MUCH better. It was acting like there was a major problem. The torque converter wouldn't unlock for about 5 seconds after you stopped almost killing the engine, shifts were very soft, etc.

Glad the pan swap actually accomplished something. It's certainly not an "upgrade" in my book.

(334) 873-4000

Jeep Forum 10% Off Discount Code: jeepforum.com

Check us out on Facebook

undercoverfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 01:33 PM   #32
thejafe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'll be picking up this pan when I do my trans service later this month. Is the trans filter the same as the one used with the previous pan?
thejafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2011, 10:19 PM   #33
thejafe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Bump. Still looking for an answer to the above question as I have a filter sitting here and not sure if I'm gonna have to pickup a new one to work with the "upgraded" pan. Anybody got the info?
Unread 08-01-2011, 10:31 PM   #34
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The filter will work, it is the same for deep and shallow pans. The only difference in that area is how tall the filter's spacer is to position the filter down lower to sit lower in a deeper pan. The new pan didn't come with a spacer to position the filter lower?

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2011, 10:32 PM   #35
thejafe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
The filter will work, it is the same for deep and shallow pans.
Great . Thanks, Jerry .
Unread 08-02-2011, 07:40 AM   #36
commodore_dude
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Hmm... has the price for this plummeted or something? I'm seeing it for about $7 online now, but I'm wary that it might be the old part or something. My transmission has been slipping for several months when cold (only 41k miles ), so I was thinking about getting a flush and may as well do this too...

1998 Buick LeSabre Custom
commodore_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2011, 08:07 AM   #37
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodore_dude View Post
Hmm... has the price for this plummeted or something? I'm seeing it for about $7 online now
Actually, the price has gone up. Used to be $6 and change.

But, if you want that good feeling that comes with paying more, they are available on Ebay for $39.95 (shipping extra.)
tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2011, 09:18 AM   #38
Best4x4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Make sure you get a new magnet! The old magnet from the old pan will not work with the new pan.
05 Electric Lime Green LJ with a 4spd Auto, 2.5inch Suspension Lift, OME Shocks, OME Steering Stabilizer, 32inch BFG M/T's on 17inch Moab's using Spidertrax Spacers, UCF Aluminum TC Skid, Novak Cable Shifter, Brown Dog MML, Rokmen 1/2 BL, Banks CAI, Diehard Platinum Marine Battery, JW Speaker 8700 LED Head Lights, Safari Nets, G.E.A.R Overhead Console/G.E.A.R Tailgate Storage, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn Gas Tank Skid, Mopar Rock Crawler Rear Bumper, Warn XD9000i Winch with Warn Wireless Remote, and a Uniden 880 CB Radio
Best4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2011, 12:35 PM   #39
commodore_dude
2006 LJ Wrangler 

How about if I have an 06? My impression from reading through the thread was that the 06 magnet was fine. Also, did some more searching and there are folks saying the new one isn't any deeper than the old one

1998 Buick LeSabre Custom
commodore_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2011, 12:54 PM   #40
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodore_dude View Post
How about if I have an 06? My impression from reading through the thread was that the 06 magnet was fine.
If you have the later version magnet, you should have the later pan as well. And, if you have an '06, you should have the later version.

Look at the bottom of your pan. Do you see a concave, dome-shaped depression on the bottom, left side of the pan? Or is there a convex, round recess that is flat on the bottom?
tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2012, 10:20 PM   #41
knbwhite
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
The filter will work, it is the same for deep and shallow pans. The only difference in that area is how tall the filter's spacer is to position the filter down lower to sit lower in a deeper pan. The new pan didn't come with a spacer to position the filter lower?
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but the spacer thing caught my attention.

I pulled something out of the fluid intake hole when I did my service a while ago, thinking it was a piece of the seal from a previous filter. I think I threw it away with the old filter. Have any idea about how long this spacer might be?

I'm gonna change out the fluid and install a Mopar filter to see if it helps to get rid of the occasional P0740 I have. Jeep is my DD, so I don't want to keep it down long when I go in to it.
knbwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 05:45 AM   #42
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by knbwhite View Post
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but the spacer thing caught my attention.

I pulled something out of the fluid intake hole when I did my service a while ago, thinking it was a piece of the seal from a previous filter. I think I threw it away with the old filter. Have any idea about how long this spacer might be?

I'm gonna change out the fluid and install a Mopar filter to see if it helps to get rid of the occasional P0740 I have. Jeep is my DD, so I don't want to keep it down long when I go in to it.
The non-Mopar filters have been known to cause issues. I don't recall a "spacer" from when I did mine. Just made sure the old o-ring was removed.

By the way, what's a 2006 JK Wrangler?
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #43
TGLPilot

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangofox007 View Post
If you have the later version magnet, you should have the later pan as well. And, if you have an '06, you should have the later version.

Look at the bottom of your pan. Do you see a concave, dome-shaped depression on the bottom, left side of the pan? Or is there a convex, round recess that is flat on the bottom?
Before I crawl under there, which is which? I couldn't really see what you were referring to in the pix.
TGLPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 07:25 PM   #44
knbwhite
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLPilot View Post
Before I crawl under there, which is which? I couldn't really see what you were referring to in the pix.
I will try to answer this since TF7 hasn't posted since September. From what I remember from inside the pan on my 06 there is a hill, and the large magnet sits around that hill like a donut on a ring toss game. I think in the pictures you can see the the old pan has a recess on the inside that the smaller magnet fits in. This recess looks like someone glued a silver dollar on the bottom of the pan and painted over it.

This makes sense that you cant use the old magnet, because the center hole (if it even has one) is not big enough to go around the half ping pong ball sized hill in the 06 pan.
Unread 01-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #45
knbwhite
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robncar View Post
By the way, what's a 2006 JK Wrangler?
A lesson to us all, don't fill out profiles after a few beers.

Tags
42rle , transmission , pan , new

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.