Mopar has a new pan for the 42RLE transmission - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Mopar has a new pan for the 42RLE transmission

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-11-2010, 03:18 PM   #16
popeyesides

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
you have a 2006...you already have it.
Yep, I just left the dealer looking at this pan and measured the deepest corner which is front passenger and the dim. is 3.25". I checked my 06 LJ just now and it is the same. I also checked the dim. on the other 3 corners and those dim. match what is on my LJ. I have never had mine cavitate like others have said even when we are in Moab. If anybody needs the 3 other dim. to check their pan let me know.

popeyesides is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2010, 03:29 PM   #17
solarpower
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeyesides View Post
Yep, I just left the dealer looking at this pan and measured the deepest corner which is front passenger and the dim. is 3.25". I checked my 06 LJ just now and it is the same. I also checked the dim. on the other 3 corners and those dim. match what is on my LJ. I have never had mine cavitate like others have said even when we are in Moab. If anybody needs the 3 other dim. to check their pan let me know.
haha..awesome....I just measured the depth of my old pan.

these dimensions are from the INSIDE of pan to top of pan for OLD pan.

Driver side front = 2.0 inches deep

Passenger side front = 2.5 inches deep

Driver side rear = 1.25 inches deep

Passenger rear = 2.25 inches deep

I cannot imagine they dropped the whole thing an inch. There is just not any room there...especially with a medic skid like mine.
Unread 08-11-2010, 03:49 PM   #18
popeyesides

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpower View Post
haha..awesome....I just measured the depth of my old pan.

these dimensions are from the INSIDE of pan to top of pan for OLD pan.

Driver side front = 2.0 inches deep

Passenger side front = 2.5 inches deep

Driver side rear = 1.25 inches deep

Passenger rear = 2.25 inches deep

I cannot imagine they dropped the whole thing an inch. There is just not any room there...especially with a medic skid like mine.
O.D. dim. I measured the pan upside down on table, flange on table.
Passenger front 3.25"
Passenger rear 2.125"
driver front 2.5"
driver rear 1.25"
Hope this helps, Again my measurements are from outside to outside, Close enough to Solarpoers.
Unread 08-11-2010, 03:56 PM   #19
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hmmm are you sure???
yup. thats what they told me.

Quote:
x2...i'm going to have the dealer give me the old one just in case my medic skid doesn't clear.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2010, 04:06 PM   #20
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

About 3 weeks ago I went to the dealer. There was one pan in their system that was a replacement for the 42RLE. That's the one I'm running. It's the same as the previous one that was on my 05 sport. Unless it's come out in the last few weeks, I don't know.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=152304

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Bennettj13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2010, 04:11 PM   #21
popeyesides

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennettj13 View Post
About 3 weeks ago I went to the dealer. There was one pan in their system that was a replacement for the 42RLE. That's the one I'm running. It's the same as the previous one that was on my 05 sport. Unless it's come out in the last few weeks, I don't know.
My parts guy checked for 06 TJ/LJ and said part number 52852912AC supercedes the old number.
Unread 08-11-2010, 04:15 PM   #22
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Just wait 'til these pans shoot up in price like the speedo gears did...

This comes at a great time as we're about to service our trans at 25K miles.
Just ordered it online. When it arrives, if it clears the RE skid, the plan is to add a drain bung prior to install.

Last edited by robncar; 08-11-2010 at 04:25 PM..
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2010, 04:25 PM   #23
solarpower
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeyesides View Post
Hope this helps, Again my measurements are from outside to outside, Close enough to Solarpoers.
yep plenty close enough. The pan is not very thick.

It looks like there is slightly more volume in about the only place they could put it without becoming too low.

I actually saved my old pan initially because I knew there was a market for a higher capacity pan and I have the resources to mass produce one...but after seeing the lack of room to go bigger I did not see enough space to justify a benefit of enough fluid and going in to it any further.

guess I was wrong AND late to the party on that account.

I still use my old magnet at work to hang blueprints...it IS a nice big magnet..too bad it won't fit on new pan.
Unread 08-11-2010, 05:09 PM   #24
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

What is the big deal with the magnets? Everyone talks about how they are big and how they need changed. When I bought my new pan, I bought the new magnet as well. I threw both magnets in the pan. Why not. There was plenty of room. I can't find my damned receipt now to see what part number I ended up with, but if there IS a new one and it's deeper, I might as well get another as cheap as it is. I guess I need to call the dealer and see what they've got on record.

For those looking into changing your tranny fluid... Go to Home Depot, for like 30 bucks there is a plastic siphon pump that will suck 2 quarts at a time through your tranny dipstick. I used it when I changed my pan out a few weeks ago. It was awesome. Super fast, and very effective. It's meant for atvs and small engines, but I bought 10' of clear vinyl tube with it, and I can run it just about anywhere. Just put the tube in the dipstick, pump it up, and open the valve. From now on, I'll use it to service the tranny every time. It's SO much easier and cleaner than breaking out the 3'x4' pan to put under the oil catch.

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Unread 08-12-2010, 04:55 PM   #25
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

new pan is on:

pretty sure the pan will clear my JeepMedic skid without issue...its not much deeper at all, little dissappointed actually. The magnet attachment area is much smaller and some of the passenger side dimples indent less into the fluid space, but overall...meh. My original pan was dented and pushed up in the middle a good 3/8"-1/2"...so it was still worth the $23
Unread 08-12-2010, 05:39 PM   #26
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah i was gonna say it looks the same

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 06:10 PM   #27
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Looks to be the same one I just got.

Unread 08-12-2010, 06:22 PM   #28
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

The newest Petersons has the new pan in the ad.
DBLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 09:02 PM   #29
solarpower
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
new pan is on:

pretty sure the pan will clear my JeepMedic skid without issue...its not much deeper at all, little dissappointed actually. The magnet attachment area is much smaller and some of the passenger side dimples indent less into the fluid space, but overall...meh. My original pan was dented and pushed up in the middle a good 3/8"-1/2"...so it was still worth the $23
told ya it looked exactly the same.

I know you have had more issues than many with that trans..and I doubt this will be a fix all for you....but after looking back to when I installed the pan..once I got the fluid level correct it has been not something I concerned myself with since. Wife grabbed the old pan from shelf on garage (when I took measurements yesterday) and asked what was broken and where did that go...

I remembered back to why I was concerned with it..only had a small dent on side...my trans was slipping and not acting like it had been. The filter was due for change and I needed to straighten my skid anyway...

what I'm saying is there has been a serious improvement that coincidentally coincides with when I put on what I thought was only a slightly different pan.

Hope this pan helps you anyway..
Unread 08-12-2010, 09:10 PM   #30
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hope this pan helps you anyway..
if this pan magically cures my 42RLE woes, I will be one happy man.

i've always thought a dry sump tranny pan, with an external oil filter & reservoir would make the most sense for 42RLE...hmm...i have the old pan...worth looking into maybe??

Tags
42rle , transmission , pan , new

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.