Monstalinin' My TJ, but PO is giving me hell.. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Monstalinin' My TJ, but PO is giving me hell..

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Reply
Unread 08-26-2010, 08:12 AM   #16
Imped
Web Wheeler
 
Imped's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 19,258
Keep going at it. You REALLY want to pull the seats and everything else in order to do a proper lining job. Once the bolts are out, go to the hardware store to pick up all new hardware and a tap to clean out the threads. Use some antiseize on them so you don't have this problem again when you want to pull the seats out for a good cleaning.

If you need to, do whatever it takes to get some really good leverage on them. Get a long extension and a 2 or 3 foot breaker bar and go to town. Just make sure your socket is good so you don't strip the bolts.

__________________
OlllllllO
Float Test Build
IndyORV
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2010, 08:25 AM   #17
Chiles
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Keep going at it. You REALLY want to pull the seats and everything else in order to do a proper lining job. Once the bolts are out, go to the hardware store to pick up all new hardware and a tap to clean out the threads. Use some antiseize on them so you don't have this problem again when you want to pull the seats out for a good cleaning.

If you need to, do whatever it takes to get some really good leverage on them. Get a long extension and a 2 or 3 foot breaker bar and go to town. Just make sure your socket is good so you don't strip the bolts.
I'm about to go re soak the bolts in PB and then I'm going to give them hell. Its like EVERY SINGLE BOLT HOLDING EVERY SINGLE SEAT. Except the very front bolts, those are being nice.
__________________
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_)-()_)-o-)_)
Chiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2010, 09:55 AM   #18
erickpl
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: northern AL
Posts: 4,469
Have you tried a bit of heat like from a propane torch to heat it up a bit? Don't do that lots of PBBlaster on it though.

PB Blaster may take multiple soakings over multiple days from top AND bottom (yes the bolts go through), but give it a shot. Patience is required.
__________________
-Paul
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2010, 10:22 AM   #19
Chiles
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickpl View Post
Have you tried a bit of heat like from a propane torch to heat it up a bit? Don't do that lots of PBBlaster on it though.

PB Blaster may take multiple soakings over multiple days from top AND bottom (yes the bolts go through), but give it a shot. Patience is required.
I've got all but one of the hex bolts out, and I'm gonna keep at it. All the bolts will be replaced but I'll hold onto the old ones so I can know what to look for. Still need to get the torx set to get those out but I don't think it'll be that big a hassle. Thanks alot for the replies, as you see it has worked haha.
__________________
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_)-()_)-o-)_)
Chiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2010, 11:44 AM   #20
Imped
Web Wheeler
 
Imped's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 19,258
Good job man, keep giving that one hell. It'll budge soon. Just make sure to clean out the threads with a good tap before you put the new bolts in.
__________________
OlllllllO
Float Test Build
IndyORV
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2010, 04:46 PM   #21
Chiles
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Good job man, keep giving that one hell. It'll budge soon. Just make sure to clean out the threads with a good tap before you put the new bolts in.
Yeah absolutely. One of the torx bolts holding the left mount for the backseat is being difficult, so I may try to access it from the other side... how is the only question.
__________________
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_)-()_)-o-)_)
Chiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2010, 01:12 AM   #22
smooth9883
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 148
I just lived your nightmare a week ago. I ended up breaking 5 bolt heads on accident due to extensive rust build up on the under side of the body. I went through two can's of PB blaster. After the first two bolt heads broke off I started to get really good at removing the rest. I would baseically break the bolt heads off with a breaker bar because they would become so tight with the rust. Once I broke them off I would drill them out. After that, I would put a punch down the center of the remaining part of the bolt and nut and hammer away until the nut busted off the weld from the body.

Now I just have to go and get new nuts and bolts. Much easier than trying to torque them out gently and try to re use rusted hardware.

Have fun!
smooth9883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2010, 09:40 AM   #23
Chiles
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth9883 View Post
I just lived your nightmare a week ago. I ended up breaking 5 bolt heads on accident due to extensive rust build up on the under side of the body. I went through two can's of PB blaster. After the first two bolt heads broke off I started to get really good at removing the rest. I would baseically break the bolt heads off with a breaker bar because they would become so tight with the rust. Once I broke them off I would drill them out. After that, I would put a punch down the center of the remaining part of the bolt and nut and hammer away until the nut busted off the weld from the body.

Now I just have to go and get new nuts and bolts. Much easier than trying to torque them out gently and try to re use rusted hardware.

Have fun!
If it gets to the point I can't get a bolt out no matter what I'll just drill into the head and destroy it. After that I'll just replace them with stronger ones. The weak die off to make room for the strong. This is the way of the force.
__________________
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_)-()_)-o-)_)
Chiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
monsterline , tj , wrangler , rust , bolts
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.