Monstalinin' My TJ, but PO is giving me hell.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Monstalinin' My TJ, but PO is giving me hell..

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! ECGS Black Friday Sale!!1993-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Stainless Steel Exhaust Mani

Unread 08-25-2010, 11:49 AM   #1
Chiles
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Monstalinin' My TJ, but PO is giving me hell..

I'm going to monstaline by TJ labor day weekend so it'll be ready to drive for school tuesday afternoon. I know what the prep work is anmd all that stuff as I found an amazing writeup by LuckRider. Anyhooo onto my issue.

The previous owner of my TJ didn't think to take care of rust so the bolts holding the driver and passenger seat brackets to the floor are rusted to hell and REFUSE to move. Should I just leave the brackets on and monstaline around them? I'll use the brush to get as close as possible. I'm lining to prevent any rust buildup and to make my jeep easy to clean out. what do you guys think?

Chiles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2010, 12:03 PM   #2
SilverBullit22
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I would suggest shooting some PB Blaster on the bolts and letting them soak for a while before going back at it and removing the brackets. IMO - you're going to want to take care of that rust with some type of paint-on rust converter before you bed liner over it, or you risk eventually having to replace the sheet metal when it rots all the way through.

I put a DIY roll-on bed liner in my TJ earlier this spring, and I for one feel much better now knowing that I took care of all the rust issues first. It might be a little more work, but I think you'll be happier with a little more peace of mind. Good luck!
SilverBullit22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

X 2 on the PB blaster.Spray under the jeep too where the bolts go through the tub.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2010, 12:25 PM   #4
Hotrod97z
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Spray the PB Blaster...a couple times. A good tap with a hammer will usually help to break a stuck bolt free. Tap it on the head of the bolt, not the end.

'03 TJ
Hotrod97z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2010, 12:26 PM   #5
Hotrod97z
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I was considering a Rhino Liner coating. I was afraid that a rough texture would trap ground in dirt and be hard to get clean. Any experience?

'03 TJ
Hotrod97z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2010, 12:31 PM   #6
Zoom By You
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullit22 View Post
I would suggest shooting some PB Blaster on the bolts and letting them soak for a while before going back at it and removing the brackets
I did this a few days prior to removing my drivers seat, which seemed to help but I still had a problem with one bolt that I ended-up having to drill out. Good luck with your project....
2001 TJ Sport Amber Fire, Dual Tops/Dual Doors, 4.0, Banks Ram-Air, Banks S.S. Monster exhaust, five speed, NV3550, A.A. SYE/Tom Woods, 4:56 D30/D35, Detroit Truetrac at both ends, Solid diff covers, 4.5 R.E. Super Flex W/3.5 springs, adjustable upper and lower control arms, adjustable front and rear R.E. track bars, TeraFlex shock relocation brackets, R.E. Mono tube shocks, R.E. front stabilizer, R.E. 3/4" front spacer, 33 X 12.5 TrXus STS, M/T Classic-locks, ShrockWorks Rock Rails, Hanson 52" front bumper, EPi9.0 Superwinch with wireless control, Olympic rear bumper, Olympic Mountaineer rack, Bushwacker 6" Pocket Flares, Optima yellow top, IPF headlights W/ Fatboys, upgraded relay/wiring harness, KC Slims, Bosch rear lights, Garmin c550 GPS, Garmin 76S GPS, Cobra CB 148GTL W/Astatic Mic, Pioneer Sound, 3A Racing fire extinguishers. Manhattan Rated....
Zoom By You is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2010, 12:36 PM   #7
CCGRUNT0331
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrod97z View Post
I was considering a Rhino Liner coating. I was afraid that a rough texture would trap ground in dirt and be hard to get clean. Any experience?
I used Herculiner which does have a mild texture to it, since I use my jeep mainly for my beach adventures yes sand will get in and stay, take the doors off and I get sandblasted on my legs, so when i have time, or right after I get in from the beach, grab the hose and spray, the drains do their job and 85% of the sand is gone.. hope that helps
Unread 08-25-2010, 12:44 PM   #8
tangotag
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I recently Monstalined mine and PB Blaster worked well on many bolts. After breaking 2 T45 and bending a third all impact torx sockets I had 2 bolts in taking out my sportbar that required welding a hex head bolt on top of the rust seized stripped torx head to get removed.
If you can get to the head. You could, on some of the seat bolts, grind the head off and unscrew with a vise grip from underneath.

I replaced the 6 same seat bolts with stainless bolts and stainless fender washers. The 2 larger bolts were replaced with Grade 8 with normal washers slightly ground to fit. Replacements were under $20 at Fastenal for seats and sport bar(less torx to deal with). Everything was coated with antiseize on reinstallation.
tangotag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2010, 02:09 PM   #9
Chiles
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullit22 View Post
I would suggest shooting some PB Blaster on the bolts and letting them soak for a while before going back at it and removing the brackets. IMO - you're going to want to take care of that rust with some type of paint-on rust converter before you bed liner over it, or you risk eventually having to replace the sheet metal when it rots all the way through.

I put a DIY roll-on bed liner in my TJ earlier this spring, and I for one feel much better now knowing that I took care of all the rust issues first. It might be a little more work, but I think you'll be happier with a little more peace of mind. Good luck!
Where can I get PB blaster? Also, how would you get rid of surface rust?
Unread 08-25-2010, 02:17 PM   #10
paul0731
2002 TJ Wrangler 

You can get pb blaster at most auto parts stores, walmart, i've seen it at lowes and home depot too.

I'd just sand, wire wheel, or use steel wool on surface rust. Then cover it with clear coat or matching paint.
paul0731 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2010, 02:24 PM   #11
Chiles
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0731 View Post
You can get pb blaster at most auto parts stores, walmart, i've seen it at lowes and home depot too.

I'd just sand, wire wheel, or use steel wool on surface rust. Then cover it with clear coat or matching paint.
Looks like I'm going to wally world tonight. I have some rust holes a buddy of mine is going to patch over by welding sheet metal onto the driver floorboard. I'l pretty damn excited to get started.
Unread 08-25-2010, 07:05 PM   #12
Chiles
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I probably used half the blaster on the bolts, several times each. If all else fails I'll have to tear them out and replace them. Any idea what the bolt lengths are?

EDIT:
I forgot to tap the bolts, I'll do that tomorrow. Removed the carpet from the back half and it feels like I'm driving an APC. My buddy has a YJ and his dad is restoring a Willys MB soon to be followed by an m151 which is also sitting in their yard. His dad was helping me grind some rust out and when the monsta comes in I'm going to see if he'll help me grind the rest out of the tub so I can paint over it with rustoleum primer and then I'll be able to ultimately get started!
Unread 08-25-2010, 07:19 PM   #13
crusher242
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I've been using the PB for years, and soaking works out pretty good. But when you need it done then and there, get Freeze Off. That stuffs been working great for me lately. I put it in my junk yard bag.
Unread 08-26-2010, 07:28 AM   #14
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

This is where the Monstaliner deal is REALLY good. You can get the Chassis Saver stuff with the Monstaliner. I put it down in a few questionable spots after sanding my interior down. Laid down the chassis saver on the rust spots, let it cure for a bit, then brushed on layer #1 of the Monstaliner. Once that cured a bit, I then started with the textured roller for 3-4 additional coats. Looks great. Has texture, prevents rust, but it isn't so textured that dirt is going to stay in there.

The texture
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2010, 09:06 AM   #15
Chiles
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickpl View Post
This is where the Monstaliner deal is REALLY good. You can get the Chassis Saver stuff with the Monstaliner. I put it down in a few questionable spots after sanding my interior down. Laid down the chassis saver on the rust spots, let it cure for a bit, then brushed on layer #1 of the Monstaliner. Once that cured a bit, I then started with the textured roller for 3-4 additional coats. Looks great. Has texture, prevents rust, but it isn't so textured that dirt is going to stay in there.

The texture
Looks great man. Exactly the result I'm going for. But I'm still running into some problems. I PB Blasted last night and hit the bolts this morning with a hammer and they're still not budging! What do I do?

Tags
monsterline , tj , wrangler , rust , bolts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.