Monstaliner Write Up - 2006 LJ - Page 3 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 54 Old 09-19-2010, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
WILLY348
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Here you see the wire coming out from the center console. I might get like some black tape or something. I need to also zip tie them together..

A couple shots of the hole/wires

2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport: Current Jeep
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited: (Sold and missed!)
2004 Ford Mustang Cobra
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 Old 09-19-2010, 03:30 PM
sandandson
1998 TJ Wrangler 

SO stoked to start my tub. Too bad the wife works the next few weekends. I need to find a babysitter!
post #33 of 54 Old 09-19-2010, 05:05 PM
DINOCAVE
formerly CPT Jeep

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have some questions about Monstaliner

-I've seen some bed liners that are porous enough that any dirt that hits it will never come off. Does this stuff come totally clean?
-How thick is it with 2 coats? Thick enough to affect how doors and other parts fit, i.e. if you do the rails and put a hard top back on, will it still seal?
-Can it be repaired if chipped?
-Can it be applied to bare metal? Steel and/or aluminum? Still try to figure out what to do with my Metalcloaks fenders.

post #34 of 54 Old 09-19-2010, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
WILLY348
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT Jeep View Post
I have some questions about Monstaliner

-I've seen some bed liners that are porous enough that any dirt that hits it will never come off. Does this stuff come totally clean?
-How thick is it with 2 coats? Thick enough to affect how doors and other parts fit, i.e. if you do the rails and put a hard top back on, will it still seal?
-Can it be repaired if chipped?
-Can it be applied to bare metal? Steel and/or aluminum? Still try to figure out what to do with my Metalcloaks fenders.
1: This stuff isn't NEARLY as rough as any of the other liners out there. It's quite smooth. I havent tried to clean it yet because it's still pretty clean as of right now. The benefit of lining the tub obviously is you can now just hose out the ENTIRE interior if you want! You could take car wash soap to it and get it as nice and clean as you want

2. I believe its suppose to be the thickness of a dime. It's not enough to affect any thing at all. I was able to put my soft top just as i usually do. I don't think it will make any thing not seal

3. According to Magnetman its easy to touch it up. The stuff will bond right to itself.

4. As far as the metal cloak fenders go, i'm not sure on that. I'd talk to MagnetMan about it and see what he says. I want to say you can't apply the liner directly to BARE metal, you have to have some kind of primer down atleast.

2004 Ford Mustang Cobra
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 54 Old 09-20-2010, 07:53 AM
FamillyCJ7
1983 CJ7 

I will be using Monstaliner to paint the inside and outside of my tub. It will adhere go bare metal/aluminum just either use some Metal Ready (Etches metal) or sand with 80 grit so it has something to bite on to. You could even use a self etching primer.

'83 CJ7 258I6 4-Speed Father Daughter Project - Using Monstaliner/Chassis Saver and Products from CrabTreeTool
NorthEastFL4x4.com - Local 4x4 Enthusiasts website, join up now!
post #36 of 54 Old 09-20-2010, 07:59 AM
erickpl

1997 TJ Wrangler 

It cleans up very easily. A damp rag will work. But I tend to use the hose, get the bigger pieces out, then spray with Simple Green. It's my cleaner of choice.

I did the same thing on my tub rails and door sills. Easy to do and protects areas that tend to get beat up.

-Paul
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
post #37 of 54 Old 09-20-2010, 08:07 AM
austinaubinoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

once you mix the hardener into the gallon of liner can you store the stuff? Like keep it on hand for touch ups?

Im still waiting for them to come out with colored liner to do my white 2000 with. They said it would be out end of august! My interiors been half torn out for weeks now!

Is there not enough to do 3 coats in with the gallon kit?
post #38 of 54 Old 09-20-2010, 08:08 AM
Chiles
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for this thread. My Jeep is in the shop till this Friday which puts it in there for two weeks. I've been feeling discouraged because of it but your thread has given my the boost I need to put my montaliner in.

/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_)-()_)-o-)_)
post #39 of 54 Old 09-20-2010, 08:15 AM
XJelvis
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickpl View Post
It cleans up very easily. A damp rag will work.
Yeah, I got some dust and a little mud up on the wheel wells (no top or doors on) and a damp rag made everything black and shiny again. Monstaliner doesn't have little pits or anything that trap dirt like other bed liners.

94 YJ, 2.5L, 5sp Sold.
97 TJ, 4.0, 5sp Sold.
01 XJ, 4.0, Auto
post #40 of 54 Old 09-20-2010, 08:18 AM
XJelvis
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaubinoe View Post
once you mix the hardener into the gallon of liner can you store the stuff? Like keep it on hand for touch ups?

Is there not enough to do 3 coats in with the gallon kit?
Once you mix the whole gallon, the pot life is like 6-10 hours. So no, you really won't be able to keep it on hand for more than a day.

On my TJ, I used 99% of the gallon doing two coats. Others have had extra, but I doubt it's enough for a full third coat. Maybe a third coat on the high-use areas like floor pans though.

94 YJ, 2.5L, 5sp Sold.
97 TJ, 4.0, 5sp Sold.
01 XJ, 4.0, Auto
post #41 of 54 Old 09-20-2010, 11:20 AM
erickpl

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJelvis View Post
Once you mix the whole gallon, the pot life is like 6-10 hours. So no, you really won't be able to keep it on hand for more than a day.

On my TJ, I used 99% of the gallon doing two coats. Others have had extra, but I doubt it's enough for a full third coat. Maybe a third coat on the high-use areas like floor pans though.
Not quite correct. If left uncovered, it will be useless in 6-10 hours or so. BUT if you have a plastic cover, like saran wrap, and put it over the can, then put the lid on, it will keep better and longer. Put it in a fridge (we have a beer fridge in the garage), it'll keep even longer. If you don't use the plastic barrier, you will NOT be able to get that can open again easily.

You may need to add a bit of MEK to it then stir it in well to thin it back out to the usable point, but it does work.

You should have enough left for the small miscellaneous touchups in areas you missed or you can apply extra layer or 3 to the floorboards where your feet will go. I finished off my gallon with a few extra layers in the front floorpans.

-Paul
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
post #42 of 54 Old 09-20-2010, 12:06 PM
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickpl View Post
Not quite correct. If left uncovered, it will be useless in 6-10 hours or so. BUT if you have a plastic cover, like saran wrap, and put it over the can, then put the lid on, it will keep better and longer. Put it in a fridge (we have a beer fridge in the garage), it'll keep even longer. If you don't use the plastic barrier, you will NOT be able to get that can open again easily.

You may need to add a bit of MEK to it then stir it in well to thin it back out to the usable point, but it does work.

You should have enough left for the small miscellaneous touchups in areas you missed or you can apply extra layer or 3 to the floorboards where your feet will go. I finished off my gallon with a few extra layers in the front floorpans.
^This. I had about 1/3 of the can left after 2 coats from doing my first Jeep, and I covered it, left it in the cold garage, and was still able to use it to make a patch for my bumper. That was on my last Jeep, but it worked well. For this one I packed away 1 quart separately.

Thanks to SuperWade2 For the 1 Year Upgrade!
Support Our Troops!

JFI Member #7:

: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ:
BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s

Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
post #43 of 54 Old 09-20-2010, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
WILLY348
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiles View Post
Thanks for this thread. My Jeep is in the shop till this Friday which puts it in there for two weeks. I've been feeling discouraged because of it but your thread has given my the boost I need to put my montaliner in.
Don't be at all. It's just time consumeing is all. Do it over the course of the weekend and you'll be fine. Hardest part is takeing apart / putting the interior back together.. and a monkey could do that

2004 Ford Mustang Cobra
post #44 of 54 Old 09-20-2010, 01:07 PM
bldeagle10
1999 XJ Cherokee 

it seems like i would like it better for the interior only cause i plan on putting the carpet down afterwards. to me it just looks like krinkle paint... im sure its alot more protective than krinkle paint but i dont think i would feel as reassured having under the chassis. ill leave that to duplicolor. but im deffinately convinced i want it in my interior now! awesome write up. im glad i read it
post #45 of 54 Old 09-20-2010, 01:46 PM
timmytimm3
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
^This. I had about 1/3 of the can left after 2 coats from doing my first Jeep, and I covered it, left it in the cold garage, and was still able to use it to make a patch for my bumper. That was on my last Jeep, but it worked well. For this one I packed away 1 quart separately.
I bought an empty 1/4 can and filled it to the absolute top with the leftovers. We'll see how long it will last like that.

Monstaliner is a great product. My brother already hates his herculiner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.