Monstaliner Write Up - 2006 LJ - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 54 Old 09-16-2010, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
WILLY348
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fropleyquark View Post
just one thought, I saw you taped off your rear roll cage. I did mine this way as well. Do yourself a favor and line the rear cage up to the pads, itll look cleaner.
I havent done any thing yet.. those are luck riders pictures

2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport: Current Jeep
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited: (Sold and missed!)
2004 Ford Mustang Cobra
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 54 Old 09-17-2010, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
WILLY348
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ok its picture time! Got pretty much all the prep work done today. Tomorrow.. the liner goes down! I'll only post the pictures right now. I'll add captions later.. gotta run out the door right now

Interior all stripped out (basically)

You can see the masking i did before my scuffing. I did this so i wouldnt scuff areas that i didn't want to get scuffed up.

Will be doing both door openings..

Some shots on how i want to line the back end..

Masking the curve in the door like this is pretty easy. What you want to do, is just place a piece of tape at an ange, then take a razor blade and cut away the masking tape on the line of the jeep.

This is after i had it all scuffed. This was the last time i washed it with soap. (I washed it twice. Once before i sanded it to get a bunch of the debree out, and second after it was all scuffed).

Picture of it scuffed up

This is how it sits right now. I know i know, running plastic isnt necessary, but i like to KNOW that the liner isn't going to get any where i dont want it. Plus, it only takes MAYBE 5 minutes do run the plastic like that.

2004 Ford Mustang Cobra
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 54 Old 09-17-2010, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
WILLY348
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Bump for more views.

Tomorrow morning the liner goes on! Just have to MEK it and maybe throw down a little more masking and im ready!

2004 Ford Mustang Cobra

post #19 of 54 Old 09-18-2010, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
WILLY348
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ok so the first coat is ON! It's not all that bad to do at all. It just takes a little time to kind of get an idea on how you want to do it.

What i did is i started on the passenger side. I did the foot wells and then followed it back to just before the start of the bed. I coated towards the middle to the transmission hump then went and did the drivers side. After that i did the side walls followed by the bed in the back. After that, i did the tail gate, rails, and door openings. It's critical to do those last because you'll be leaning into the jeep quite often so you dont want to lean on freshly laid liner.

Heres your pictures for the proof! I have to wait until 2:00 PST to lay down the 2nd coat (11:43 AM PST right now).

A shot of the tail gate..

A shot of the side rail..

The door opening..

Close up door opening shot

Here you can see my idea worked out great! I bought a mini 2 inch roller, and then took one of the foam rollers Magnetman set me and cut it down a little bit on a bandsaw. Worked PERFECTLY! Highly recommened. I'd recommend Magnetman to maybe send a 2" roller and a smaller foam roller for the jeep kits (TJ/LJ atleast).

This shows how i went all the way up the side wall..

Did the tail gate opening also

2004 Ford Mustang Cobra
post #20 of 54 Old 09-18-2010, 02:29 PM
sandandson
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm doing mine in a few weeks (bought the 1-gal kit last week) I was going to ask how you got up between the wheel well and the tub rail. GOOD THINKING! I bought extra rollers with my kit, I'll have to chop one of them down.

Did you just cut it in half, or what?
post #21 of 54 Old 09-18-2010, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
WILLY348
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandandson View Post
I'm doing mine in a few weeks (bought the 1-gal kit last week) I was going to ask how you got up between the wheel well and the tub rail. GOOD THINKING! I bought extra rollers with my kit, I'll have to chop one of them down.

Did you just cut it in half, or what?
Well i just kind of took a little off at a time on the bad saw until i was happy with how much i had to work with. Make sure to only cut one edge off.. so you can put the perfectly straight edge on the insde of the roller. Gonna head down in a second here and start applying the second coat

2004 Ford Mustang Cobra
post #22 of 54 Old 09-18-2010, 02:42 PM
telkinsjr
2004 LJ Wrangler 

This thread just brought back horrible memories of Monstalining my LJ. Great product and I love it, but like I told my friends . . . I'm not helping you put it in if you get it.

04 LJ: 4.0, auto, 4.88s, Aussie Locker front, Trac-loc rear, 3" BDS lift, Rock Krawler HD steering, 1" BL, 35" KM2s, MCE Flattie Fenders, Olympic A/T Slider front and rear bumpers, A/T rock rails, XRC8 winch, onboard CO2, Hummer-style intake, Hi-lift, HighRock tire carrier, CB, Bluetooth, Monstaliner
post #23 of 54 Old 09-18-2010, 06:13 PM
XJelvis
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Very nice job on cutting down the roller to fit that side wall! I was going to cut one down, but it wouldn't fit my smaller rollers, so I just did it with the brush.

Also, good call on the plastic draped over the body. After Monstalining my TJ, I found a bunch of specks on my rear bumper and tailgate that had permanently adhered to the paint.

94 YJ, 2.5L, 5sp Sold.
97 TJ, 4.0, 5sp Sold.
01 XJ, 4.0, Auto
post #24 of 54 Old 09-18-2010, 07:56 PM
AJeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Great job! Ive been thinking about doing this to my TJ. Lost of good tips in your write up. Looks awesome, can you post some pics of it when it totally completed. I want to see some pics of how your lines around doors came out.
post #25 of 54 Old 09-18-2010, 08:15 PM
bravobravo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

looks good, how much money did you find under the seats?

when i striped my interior i found twelve dollars in change and an old research paper i did in 11th grade

the paper was immediatly burned

^ it made more sense in my head

removed for stirring the pot
post #26 of 54 Old 09-18-2010, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
WILLY348
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJeep View Post
Great job! Ive been thinking about doing this to my TJ. Lost of good tips in your write up. Looks awesome, can you post some pics of it when it totally completed. I want to see some pics of how your lines around doors came out.
Yup.. i'll take a bunch more pictures tomorrow. I'll take some of before i reassemble and after. Tomorrow will be devoted to completely putting my jeep back together.. ugh :

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravobravo View Post
looks good, how much money did you find under the seats?

when i striped my interior i found twelve dollars in change and an old research paper i did in 11th grade

the paper was immediatly burned
Sadly.. i only found maybe like 60 cents. However.. i did find some like discusting old candy bar on the inside of the bottle jack mount.. had to use a puddy knife to get it out of there.

It's quite suprising how much CRAP is in the inside of your jeep when you REALLY tear it down and take a look!

2004 Ford Mustang Cobra
post #27 of 54 Old 09-18-2010, 10:20 PM
Polecat

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by telkinsjr View Post
This thread just brought back horrible memories of Monstalining my LJ. Great product and I love it, but like I told my friends . . . I'm not helping you put it in if you get it.

Same here. Not the most fun job to do but totally worth it. I like how you did the door openings and top rail. When I did mine I didn't do the tailgate as I wanted to have enough left over to do the front grill to protect from bugs and stone chips. I get a lot of compliments on that.

I have heard that it is good to apply to fiberglass and I might get some to do my hard top which is in dire need of restoration. If I do that then I will do the tailgate and maybe the top rails as well.

Over the mountains and through the woods, across the stream and up the slickrock, down the canyon and over the rocks to nobody's house I go.
post #28 of 54 Old 09-18-2010, 11:33 PM
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

What is all of this animosity towards lining the tub? I enjoyed stripping down the Jeep, washing it out, rolling the liner in the wide open areas and that stuff. I did not enjoy the sanding that much, but it was fine, and the crevasses are a pain, but I wouldn't hesitate to help a friend or forum member if asked.

Thanks to SuperWade2 For the 1 Year Upgrade!
Support Our Troops!

JFI Member #7:

: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ:
BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s

Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
post #29 of 54 Old 09-19-2010, 02:18 AM
bldeagle10
1999 XJ Cherokee 

im pretty excited to see the end result. cant wait. i want to do the interior of my XJ and maybe a few other places. bumpers and such. few exterior parts. depending how it looks in person.
post #30 of 54 Old 09-19-2010, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
WILLY348
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Alright well i can finally say that it is all done. Just got done cleaning up and every thing. I got a little picture crazy (35 pictures total) so you can all see what you want to see. I got some pictures before i got it all put back together and some after. Took me 4 hours to put it all back together this morning. I think takeing it all apart took longer then putting it back together.

My only recommendations to any one would be when putting the seats back in put a blanket over the door openings of the jeep when doing the front seats, then for the back put a blanket over the bed of the jeep just behind the seat mounts. This will just help you make sure you dont scratch it up.

I didn't even bother putting the little tiny bottle jack in my jeep. I dont see the point.. how in the hell would that little tiny jack reach the top of my jeep sitting with a 5.5" RE LA, 1.25" body lift, and 35's I already have a hi lift jack any ways.

I'll also share below how i delt with the wiring for my amp. I drilled a hole through the side of the center console on the passenger side and ran the wires through that. Thats a better way of running them vs running them down the side of the jeep and then haveing them on the floor

Heres the lines i masked for the rear of the jeep..

Passenger side line for the door opening

A shot of the roll bar behind the drivers seat

2004 Ford Mustang Cobra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.