Monstaliner Write Up - 2006 LJ - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 Old 09-09-2010, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
WILLY348
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Monstaliner Write Up - 2006 LJ

Alrighty.. so i ordered the kit last week. According to UPS i should have the kit next week on Tuesday. So with that, tomorrow i want to get some of the "easy" things out of the way.

My plan is i want to remove the passenger seat, the rear seat, rear seat belts, bolts, center console, etc. all so that next weekend i wont have as much to take out and hopefully get it done faster.

I'm curious about the carpet and my amp/sub/wires. If i take the carpet out will the heat on the floor have any affect on the amp, sub, or wires running to both of them? I just don't want to take the carpet out and have any of that get melted to the floor!

I'll do my best to take pictures along the way.. because as the saying goes..

-EDIT-

And by the way.. heres some shots of what the liner is going into

No wheeling shots yet.. just got back from vacation. Got the lift installed a week before that so i havent gotten the chance to go out yet with the long arms

2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport: Current Jeep
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited: (Sold and missed!)
2004 Ford Mustang Cobra
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 09-09-2010, 08:18 PM
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

It shouldnt effect your wires.

01 TJ. 35 inch KM2's. 4.5 RE. 2 inch body lift. dana 44. Detroit Locker. Olive Drab!! all set for trout and bambi!
post #3 of 54 Old 09-09-2010, 08:18 PM
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

by the way, thanks, looking forward to the write up

01 TJ. 35 inch KM2's. 4.5 RE. 2 inch body lift. dana 44. Detroit Locker. Olive Drab!! all set for trout and bambi!

post #4 of 54 Old 09-09-2010, 08:20 PM
rdtj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have a herculiner which is almost the same and I have two 10 inch subs in the rear of my jeep. The wiring hasnt been affected one bit.
post #5 of 54 Old 09-09-2010, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
WILLY348
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdtj View Post
I have a herculiner which is almost the same and I have two 10 inch subs in the rear of my jeep. The wiring hasnt been affected one bit.
Well im just referring to the bare metal of the tub being in contact with the wires until i can line the jeep next weekend

I'm also only thinking about takeing pictures of the prep / applying the liner. I don't think its really all that necessary to take pictures of the strip down.. that has already been pretty damn well covered by LuckRider (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/mo...ite-up-901675/)

2004 Ford Mustang Cobra
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 54 Old 09-09-2010, 10:03 PM
rdtj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It wont hurt the wires. I know because my jeep didnt have carpet when I got it. I went without carpet for probably a year and a half before i put a liner on mine and it never affected the wires one bit.
post #7 of 54 Old 09-09-2010, 11:31 PM
LiveAndLearn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I am in the process of saving up 450 to do the line-x. is this the same concept? just rolled on?
post #8 of 54 Old 09-10-2010, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
WILLY348
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter0103 View Post
I am in the process of saving up 450 to do the line-x. is this the same concept? just rolled on?
Yes basically. That and less then half the price of that Line X job

2004 Ford Mustang Cobra
post #9 of 54 Old 09-10-2010, 10:41 AM
bstew417
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Looking forward to the write up. I'm thinking about doing the same thing, thanks.
post #10 of 54 Old 09-10-2010, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
WILLY348
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Alright, so heres pictures of what i did today. Won't have any more updated pictures until atleast next weekend. I decided to leave my center console in for convenience.

I didn't want to post any pictures of doing the tear down.. because really a trained monkey could take apart the interior of a jeep. Its very basic stuff.. if you can turn a wrench you can take apart your jeeps interior. Like i said above, LuckRider has already done a very nice job on documenting the tear down of the interior.

I'll also add that with my expierence of the tear down.. when you go to remove the bolts that hold the rear seat brackets in place, BE CAREFUL! These suckers are in the jeep TIGHT. Your muscles say PUSH HARDER HARDER HARDER but your brain tells you if you do that you will strip the bolt! Make sure you use the correct size torx heads on every single bolt or you will be stripping the bolt heads (i did use the correct size to clarify).

Heres some advice i took from LuckRider's thread. Tieing up as much of the seat belt as i could to make the re installation easier:

Lastly, i have a question. For the people who have installed Monstaliner, or any bedliner for that matter, what did you do to all this rubbery stuff on the floor that is every where? I'm assuming that this is the seam sealer. Did you guys just scuff this stuff up with sand paper and roll the liner right over it? Or did you remove it with a chizzle?

This is what im talking about..

2004 Ford Mustang Cobra
post #11 of 54 Old 09-10-2010, 10:20 PM
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry it took so long for me to get to your question. I was visiting my cousin today. No problems with the wires. I drove for about a week without an interior. I believe the wires touch the tub bare under the carpet anyway.

The only part where that might be a concern is the transmission tunnel, and that does not get hot enough to melt wires, and you should not have any running on it anyway (at least on the sides of the hump where it gets hot).

As for the seam sealer, yep, just scuff and clean. The monstaliner covers and sticks to it amazingly well. I have seen a couple of people remove it, but I really don't think the look is worth the effort, and it really does provide a nice layer of protection for the metal.

Thanks to SuperWade2 For the 1 Year Upgrade!
Support Our Troops!

JFI Member #7:

: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ:
BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s

Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
post #12 of 54 Old 09-11-2010, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
WILLY348
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'll also add that my plan is to line the door jam openings and the side rails of the jeep. On the inside of the jeep i won't line all the way up the side walls of the jeep just because i think it would be to difficult to deal with all the mounting holes of my rocker panels and corner guards. I was just also thinking to myself that i might want to do the part of my half doors that comes in contact with the soft uppers. The soft uppers rub on the half doors and wears away the paint. Every so often ive been throwing on touch up paint. So maybe i'll scuff that part up and line it

This is what im talking about you can see on the right side all the mounting bolts for my gen right armor:

So i'll do just as LuckRider has done here.. but also do the rails of the jeep.

2004 Ford Mustang Cobra
post #13 of 54 Old 09-12-2010, 12:13 AM
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I also did the top rail this time, and the entry gap. The top rail looks really nice with the liner on it, and has not interfered with the soft top at all. The hard top will be going on when it gets colder, and you could see where it was abused before from the top being put on/taken off.

Thanks to SuperWade2 For the 1 Year Upgrade!
Support Our Troops!

JFI Member #7:

: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ:
BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s

Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
post #14 of 54 Old 09-16-2010, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
WILLY348
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ok guys, i thought i'd get a shot of all the supplies. Here you go:

The monstaliner kit itself. This is the one gallon kit:

The supplies i bought. Bought an extra brush, 1 1/2" blue tape, 2 sanding blocks (100 grit), some 80 grit sand paper, a mini 2" roller incase i decide to d o the side walls, the MEK, and a paint tray.

I may or may not use all the supplies, what ever i dont use im gonna take back to lowes. I think the sanding blocks may be easier to use then the supplied sanding pads. We'll see how they work.

I might have to cut down one of the roller pads to work on that little 2" roller, we'll see.

Tomorrow i'm gonna finish stripping the interior, clean it, scuff it, clean it again (water/soap), mask off what i want to mask off, and then saturday ill MEK it and line it.

2004 Ford Mustang Cobra
post #15 of 54 Old 09-16-2010, 08:52 PM
Fropleyqk

1999 TJ Wrangler 

just one thought, I saw you taped off your rear roll cage. I did mine this way as well. Do yourself a favor and line the rear cage up to the pads, itll look cleaner.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.