Monstaliner vs UPol vs Herc - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Monstaliner vs UPol vs Herc

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-16-2010, 11:47 AM   #1
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Monstaliner vs UPol vs Herc

My main factors are:

1. Durability/UV Resistance
2. Grip
3. Texture

On a scale of 1-5, those of you who have any of the above materials, please rate.

To make things easier.
1-5 for texture: 5 is smooth, 1 is rough
1-5 for grip: 5 is very grippy in wet, 1 is very slick in wet.

I'm particularly interested in the grip. I know the Herc's texture and it is rough, but I imagine it is pretty grippy when wet. I'd love to hear first hand experience about how slick these materials get when they are wet. I don't want my family climbing in with wet shoes and falling because they slipped on the rails or floorboards.

Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 11:58 AM   #2
Cesaros
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Herc is pretty grippy when wet. has a rubbery texture so as long as its not flooded, you should see very good traction/grip.
Cesaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 12:04 PM   #3
Hesher420
2006 LJ Wrangler 

My experience w/ Herc.

UV Resistant - Great, IF you put the UV topcoat on it.
Texture - Very rough. I've torn open my knuckles on it when a wrench slipped.
Grip - Great, wet or dry.

**'06 Blacked Out LJ**

> > > LJ Owners Group < < <

Black Jeep Society
"We are one. One society. Digitless."
"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Hesher420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 01:25 PM   #4
bige2533
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Great thread. I'm looking forward to seeing the different reviews as I'm thinking about doing this project as well.
Unread 03-16-2010, 02:20 PM   #5
jdub2k5
1999 TJ Wrangler 

im debating on herc or duplicolor

I think I will be hercing it soon
Unread 03-16-2010, 02:48 PM   #6
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Upol and herc are tried and true. Monstaliner hasnt been on the market for very long.

I've had my upol for over a year now in the sun and all sorts of weather (road salt build up from this winter). I washed it off and it looks just like the day i sprayed it. Great stuff, it has UV protectant in there so it won't fade. It's sprayed on via air compressor and shutz gun. You control the texture by what psi you spray at. 45-75...you pick. I love the stuff, people will swear by whatever they have. Although, my buddy has herc and I think it looks like crap and it will fade after a while. I think Raptor is perfect for the inside of the jeep because it's smooth and not rough like most liners.

Grip on the Raptor is about a 4-4.5. I haven't slipped on it yet.

Texture is a 4-5 depending on the psi you spray.

Pics

Right on this footman loop is where it's chipped in the back because of the generator, i didnt prep the footman loops very well because i didn't care about that. Nothin a lil touch up won't fix

durability is a 5 if you prep right and spray think in the right areas. I have chips in areas where i sprayed really light and didn't prep as well because they weren't high traffic areas. I will be laying down another bottle or so this summer touching up. The reason it chipped by my door sill was because of my fire extinguisher. I have a chip in the rear tub area because of my 5500 watt generator moving in and out of it a couple times. That'll give you an idea of how tough it is.

UV protected...yes.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 06:17 PM   #7
Hesher420
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub2k5 View Post
im debating on herc or duplicolor

I think I will be hercing it soon
Stay away from Duplicolor. It is JUNK! Its not a question of if it will chip/flake, but more like a question of, "How will I measure the time it took to chip/flake, days, weeks, months. Years is just unrealistic!

I know some may disagree, but my opinion has been formed from personal experience and reinforced by a friends similar experience.

**'06 Blacked Out LJ**

> > > LJ Owners Group < < <

Black Jeep Society
"We are one. One society. Digitless."
"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Hesher420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 08:28 AM   #8
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I did the herculiner. Its rough as hell and goes on super thick. It might be "too" rough, especially if you roll it on. I'll probably do herc on my new jeep too.
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 11:06 AM   #9
neuterbigwilly
2005 LJ Wrangler 

i used duplicolor on my GMC sonoma. it looks nice and is great for the price. But i would NEVER do it again! it chips, no traction when dry much less wet. impossible to clean! and scratches and looks horrible very quickly! imagine a thin coat of plastic all over everything. its not impressive! and i used a roll on.
neuterbigwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 05:22 PM   #10
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That UPOL looks really good. What is current pricing on it
Green Jeep Member #155

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
Unread 03-17-2010, 05:31 PM   #11
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

2006sport, grip is pretty good when wet too? THAT is my big concern. Tell me more about the texture and pressure to spray at... higher pressure means smoother or rougher? I'd like something between the texture of Herculiner and the smoother Monstaliner. It needs to be grippy w/o being harsh. So would that be a 55 psi spray?

Details (or links to any writeups) would be great!
Green Jeep Member #155

Unread 03-17-2010, 06:52 PM   #12
Unlimitedlou
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have had the Herculiner and now the Monstaliner. The Herculiner is very rough. If you use it alot, the rubber will wear out pretty quickly. It also needs a coating to make it UV sustainable. I just did the Monstaliner, and so far, it is much better. It is ceramic based, so no coating is needed. I am not sure how slippery it will be when wet, but by the roughness, I think it will be ok. So far, I would greatly recommend the Monstaliner. Plus, he has a special right now and it is alot cheaper than Herculiner especially when you factor in the top coat for the Herculiner.
monstaliner-lj-009.jpg  
Unread 03-17-2010, 07:10 PM   #13
99TJSahara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The monstaliner looks fantastic , can I get a close-up?
99 Wrangler Sahara-sold
99TJSahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 07:16 PM   #14
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickpl View Post
2006sport, grip is pretty good when wet too? THAT is my big concern. Tell me more about the texture and pressure to spray at... higher pressure means smoother or rougher? I'd like something between the texture of Herculiner and the smoother Monstaliner. It needs to be grippy w/o being harsh. So would that be a 55 psi spray?

Details (or links to any writeups) would be great!
It's pretty grippy when wet. To me at least, i havent busted my *** getting in and out of my jeep yet when it's wet so that's pretty good. For the best overall texture I'd spray at about 50 psi, not too smooth and not too rough. Higher pressure comes out thinner/smoother, lower is clumpier/thicker. If you look at my pics it doesnt look rough at all.

Read this thread, this is what I followed when I went about doing mine. Great write up. I paid about 110 shipped for the whole kit.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/my...ng-tub-580879/

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 07:48 PM   #15
Unlimitedlou
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99TJSahara View Post
The monstaliner looks fantastic , can I get a close-up?
That's the best pics I have.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.