Monstaliner Project (write up)...finally!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Monstaliner Project (write up)...finally!!

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 05-07-2010, 11:32 PM   #1
aerojeeptj

Monstaliner Project (write up)...finally!!

The day finally came when I had some unexpected time off and my good friend Moses2564 on here kept insisting this would be the perfect opportunity to get this project done. I had bought Monstaliner a few months back after taking advice from Luckrider. He probably has the best write up I've seen so far but I thought I would have a little fun with it too.
Anyways I decided to take Moses' advice and suddenly start the project. Headed to the garage and within an hour and a half or so I had removed everything from the interior except the dash board (of course), and roll cage padding. One thing to be sure to do was get all the little screws (carpet snaps, jack accesory pouch straps, and any wires that were clipped onto the floor pan). I did this all while waiting for him to come over; we had painted his fenders the previous night before and he had to put them back on before he could drive over.

Supplies Needed:
(Kit will supply some of basic needs)
-Gloves, lots of them!
-Sandpaper/Scuffing pad
-MEK
-Blue tape
-Extra Polyurethane brushes (if you don't feel like cleaning old ones)
-Extra paint trays (same reason as above)
-Maglight (for spotting for touch ups)
-Some sort of tarp or cover to keep paint off your garage floor
-Breathing mask (highly recommended)
-Dawn soap (helpful if you get paint on your hands
-Caffeine
-Friends
-Music, lots of it

The stripped interior. Notice my floor pans were silver because I used Chassis Saver 2 months prior to control the surface rust I was getting from the leaks in my Jeep. It worked pretty good.

After Moses arrived at 5:30 we scuffed the interior using the supplied scuffing pad which did a great job, and 120 grit sand paper I believe. Then came the MEK, which I suggest holding your breath while doing.

(this picture is prior to wiping it down with MEK)
By 7:30 we finished up and watched the Wings destroy San Jose 7-1!

Sometime around 9 we got back to working. I began taping while he was under the Jeep inspecting the drive shafts and brakes. We tend to do stuff like that when ever we hang out lol.

The taping was annoying but very crucial, the better you tape, the better the result so don't skimp on it.

The Lair

Originally we were going to call it a night but Moses had this great idea of "lets start painting now!" It had to have been 1:30 AM

I decided to paint all the way up to the tub rails, thought it wouldn't hurt. It's a little bit of a pain to paint but it's worth it.

Caffeine and listening to Taking Back Sunday on repeat helped the time fly! It had to have been around 3:45 AM when we finished the first coat. Many parts required the brush and dabbing to get the texture. If you're in my situation where the lighting isn't all that great (and you lack extra utility lights) we realized using a mag light and spotting the tub over you can actually catch spots you missed. We each took turns with one spotting and the other doing touch ups.

We went inside sometime after 4, both of reeking of Monstaliner. I will explain why, and I don't suggest you following us on this route. The temp really dropped to the high 40's that night so we kept the garage door shut while painting. Every 20 mins or sooner we would crack the door or open it completely to get some fresh air in there but the instructions suggested not painting unless it's 50 degrees or higher. With the garage door shut it was definitely more than 50 in there. Regardless we got the painting done, but Moses walked out of my garage and he said he saw his Jeep looking all wavy. The fumes were a bit strong. Listen to what the instructions say about ventilation!!

We took a nap at around 6 AM and planned on getting up at 9:30 to go back at it but my phone died and the alarm didn't go off. We got up at 11 and had to have a buddy come get us to go up to Meijers to get more supplies. It had stormed all night and morning and Moses' Jeep was soaked inside and out lol

Before the second coat, the Red Bull girls made a visit to my place and hooked us up with some energy!!

The tape is removed immediately after the second coat.

The second coat came out beautiful and we then removed the all the tape which at times were difficult but the results were great. We finished around 2-3 PM estimated.

After cleanup we headed back to Moses' place to finish working on the linkage for his TC and then we went to test it out off road....then it stormed, but luckily we put the top on this time.

The paint is basically dry now but it needs to cure and what not. I'm going to mist it tomorrow when it's ready to help cure it some more then maybe later or the following day put it all back together. Surprisingly we almost went through the whole gallon but as I said earlier it looked awesome! I think I am going to be pretty happy with this product and I'm glad I let Luckrider talk me into this over Rhinoliner. If you do this, be sure to have a bud help you out, it helps time go by faster.

Hope you enjoyed!

Buy Monstaliner!

Last edited by aerojeeptj; 05-08-2010 at 11:15 AM..
aerojeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2010, 11:47 PM   #2
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looks pretty good. You forgot the most important pics though....

Pics of the Red bull girls.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2010, 11:49 PM   #3
aerojeeptj

lmao I know thats what I said earlier! I know the girls tho so I'll have to do it later
Unread 05-08-2010, 12:06 AM   #4
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Awesome!

Thanks for the pics. Glad you finally got it done.

Regards
MagnetMan
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2010, 12:11 AM   #5
aerojeeptj

Thanks Magnetman!
Unread 05-08-2010, 12:16 AM   #6
aerojeeptj

Oo ya, quick question Magnetman, how soon can I start misting it? Does it have to be a full 24 hours or so like the manual said? And do I mist it just once or frequently? Thanks
Unread 05-08-2010, 12:26 AM   #7
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I just noticed that you mentioned Moses' Jeep was soaked. Does that mean you sold him on the stuff?

Anyway, aren't you glad that you saved yourself hundreds of dollars by doing it yourself and having a fun project?
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Unread 05-08-2010, 12:34 AM   #8
aerojeeptj

Haha well it was soaked because he left it outside and neglected to put the top and doors on for 4 weeks until today lmao. But yes he liked the results alot and is planning on lining his with Monstaliner in the future.

And yes, I am very happy I did not blow all that money for a liner that's going to rip my feet up and be impossible to wash. I like the look of this so much that I am unsure if I want to put the carpeting back in. The money I saved on this will go towards the lift. Thanks again man for suggesting this
Unread 05-08-2010, 12:46 AM   #9
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I just added my review of the stuff here on JF. Here is the link: Monstaliner - Monstaliner Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Unread 05-08-2010, 12:48 AM   #10
Moses2564
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Definitely looks good Jeff. Took forever and got me high as all get out, but it looks damn good. I was thinking after the fact that maybe we should have put a coat of the stuff on my fenders. Oh well, another project later down the road.

All in all we got quite a bit accomplished this week. Who knew fracturing a toe in two places could be so lucrative.
Moses2564 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2010, 12:53 AM   #11
aerojeeptj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses2564 View Post
Definitely looks good Jeff. Took forever and got me high as all get out, but it looks damn good. I was thinking after the fact that maybe we should have put a coat of the stuff on my fenders. Oh well, another project later down the road.

All in all we got quite a bit accomplished this week. Who knew fracturing a toe in two places could be so lucrative.
Haha thanks man, couldn't have done it without you! It should be fun to do it again. And yes the fractured toe helped a ton!
Unread 05-08-2010, 12:59 AM   #12
aerojeeptj

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
I just added my review of the stuff here on JF. Here is the link: Monstaliner - Monstaliner Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
looks good, I should probably do the same sometime down the road
Unread 05-08-2010, 01:30 AM   #13
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerojeeptj View Post
Oo ya, quick question Magnetman, how soon can I start misting it? Does it have to be a full 24 hours or so like the manual said? And do I mist it just once or frequently? Thanks
You can wet it down as soon as 10 hours after the last coat was applied and that's it, just once is enough
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2010, 02:31 AM   #14
aerojeeptj

Ok good, I just did that, thanks
Unread 05-08-2010, 02:50 AM   #15
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good. I would have gone this route if I knew about it when I put my raptor on last year. I love my UPol raptor but it has since chipped in a few places that I have caused myself (dropping hi lift, fire extinguisher sliding around, kinda threw my back seat in there lol.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.