Monstaliner: A Full Install Write-Up - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Monstaliner: A Full Install Write-Up

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 11-19-2009, 07:52 PM   #106
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogTJ View Post
Luck...you did a great job. I'm a visual learner so this is a big help for me for when I start this nonsense. I think I'm going to hit Magnetman up tomorrow (paycheck day) and see about ordering a plain gallon Jeep kit. Looks great, glad you're happy with it so far.

As for the other thing (recall crap) what was the production date time frame for the problem parts. I got a '05 TJ as well that was built in April I believe. Let me know.

Great job again
I am glad this guide helps. I am also a visual and hands on learner, so I felt something like this guide would be perfect for many. I really am happy with how it came out, even worth the little setbacks, I learned a lot.

As for the recalls, you can grab your vin and go here My Jeep: Official Jeep Owners website - Warranty, Vehicle Specs, Service Contracts, Financing, Dealers and search for TSBs for your specific Jeep. It is on the left side of the page. I believe mine was also made around the same time, so I would definitely find out.

JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2009, 08:00 PM   #107
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

When you say that after 3.5 hours it was dry enough for the second coat to go on, was it dry enough to crawl into the rear , roll around, and not get any on you? Since I'll be doing up under the rail edges, I'll probably have to sit/kneel on the first coat to apply the second....

Thanks.

As for the seatbelt, don't know if there is such a thing as too far to recover ... but mine refused to pull back out unless the retractor was absolutely perfectly angled like installed in the Jeep. try putting the retractor intoi the hole and holding it in place as if installed, then pull the belt out.

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2009, 08:08 PM   #108
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Boodyrider, once again, I guess it seems like a big point to me since I say it so much, High humidity helps cure the stuff faster. After about 2 hours it was dry to the touch for the most part, but there were a few spots that were tacky enough to get on you if you rolled around. 3.5 hours was more than enough time for it to be cured enough that you could roll around in it (although I wouldn't suggest that). At that point... it was similar in texture to the little rubber pieces on the soft top side bows, but it was a little more skinned over. I hope that horrible description helps.
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Unread 11-20-2009, 06:55 AM   #109
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I think magnetman has a good idea about the Jeep specific kit. However, I'd recommend against the 1 1 gallon can. You mention a shelf life once opened and that could work against people if they have to do a coat one day, then do another the next (or 2 days later). Perhaps selling it as 4 1 qt cans would be a better way to go and break up the reactant into containers so you could get a consistent mix between the liner and the reactant for each batch. It would allow more application flexibilty and putting on a fresh coat. I'd imagine you'd mix 2 quarts for the first application since it sounds like that is the heavy coat. But some may do a 1 qt application, then 2 qts and be done. Saving that last 1 qt for touchups or fender flares later...

Just my opinion though.
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2009, 07:06 AM   #110
dendrophobe
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Luckrider, empty your inbox so I can PM you my address.

Thanks!

2005 TJ Sport, Light Khaki Metallic
RE 3.5" coils, OME shocks, Currie control arms, JKS track bars, JKS 1.25” BL, JKS 1” BMML, 35x12.5x15 Goodyear MT/Rs, American Racing ATX Chamber (Teflon), JB Conversions SS SYE, Tom Woods driveshaft, Savvy Gas Tank Skid, Warn 9.5ti, Viking synthetic winchline w/safety thimble, Metalcloak bumper, Metalcloak steering box skid, Savvy rear bumper, HP30 w/Aussie Locker, Barnett cover, XRF ball joints, Savvy tie rod flip, mini-skids, housing end JJ's, , Currie Steering, OME steering stabiliser, Metalcloak Tube Fenders/rear flares/rocker guards, ORO SwayLOC, Banks Stinger Exhaust, Cobra 75 WX ST with Wilson Silver Load, S-POD, Alpine/MOPAR RB1 Navigation Unit w/MOPAR iPod integration, Superlift Truspeed speedo correction, Lightforce 140 Lance driving lights, OTRATTW switch panel, Tinted UPOL Raptor Liner, Savvy Black Magic brakes, Centric rotors, Superior Evo rear shafts

In the garage: Viking Offroad 350 series Hawse fairlead, ARB compressor, Savvy corner guards, Novak 231 cable shifter, EBC green stuff/Centric rotors (rear), Savvy tub rails, Savvy taillights
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2009, 07:29 AM   #111
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

LMAO... I suggested that to Magnetman in the original product thread a month ago.

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2009, 08:29 AM   #112
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Erickpl and Boodyrider, yeah, we have had a few conversations through pms, one of the most recent ones, we discussed coverage. I also suggested say quarts, hlaf gallons would be nice, but I don't ever see half gallon paint cans. He mentioned working on packaging it in the smaller cans.

Dendrophobe, sorry, I had some pms that I forgot to clear. There is now space for two.
Unread 11-20-2009, 08:32 AM   #113
dendrophobe
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Got it, thanks

2005 TJ Sport, Light Khaki Metallic
RE 3.5" coils, OME shocks, Currie control arms, JKS track bars, JKS 1.25” BL, JKS 1” BMML, 35x12.5x15 Goodyear MT/Rs, American Racing ATX Chamber (Teflon), JB Conversions SS SYE, Tom Woods driveshaft, Savvy Gas Tank Skid, Warn 9.5ti, Viking synthetic winchline w/safety thimble, Metalcloak bumper, Metalcloak steering box skid, Savvy rear bumper, HP30 w/Aussie Locker, Barnett cover, XRF ball joints, Savvy tie rod flip, mini-skids, housing end JJ's, , Currie Steering, OME steering stabiliser, Metalcloak Tube Fenders/rear flares/rocker guards, ORO SwayLOC, Banks Stinger Exhaust, Cobra 75 WX ST with Wilson Silver Load, S-POD, Alpine/MOPAR RB1 Navigation Unit w/MOPAR iPod integration, Superlift Truspeed speedo correction, Lightforce 140 Lance driving lights, OTRATTW switch panel, Tinted UPOL Raptor Liner, Savvy Black Magic brakes, Centric rotors, Superior Evo rear shafts

In the garage: Viking Offroad 350 series Hawse fairlead, ARB compressor, Savvy corner guards, Novak 231 cable shifter, EBC green stuff/Centric rotors (rear), Savvy tub rails, Savvy taillights
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2009, 08:35 PM   #114
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well... I guess this is the time for another update. I when to the stealership again today, and planned on stopping by another one to take a smart car for a test drive (as a joke). Well, the smart car was gone so we just headed over to schedule an appointment to take care of my two recalls. While there I test drove a 2010 SRT8 6-speed Challanger :envy: That thing was AMAZING.

Ok... for the real update. Almost ALL of the smell is gone, that is much quicker than I expected. While at the dealership I found out I am eligable for a loaner if they need to keep it for mor than 1 day (that will only happen if I need the crankshaft too). The guy who did the test drive with us knew quite a bit about Jeeps (this is the biggest Jeep dealership in the area, dealing with a lot of wranglers). He say the liner, and liked it a lot more than the owner's son's Jeep which was hurced in and out. He agreed that the finish was great.

When I got home I did a couple of really small tests. I took the 3/4" shakle out of my bumper and started dropping it, first on the bare tub. I would have taken pictures, but it didn't do ANYThING at all. Not even a little but of color change, fading, scratching ect.. I was very excited. I even dropped it about 5 feet above my bumper, and actually hurt my foot when it bounced off. This stuff keeps surprising me more and more.
Unread 01-23-2010, 12:34 AM   #115
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well... It has now been 2 months since I Lined the tub. Here is a breakdown of my thoughts after this time.

Over these past 2 months I have racked up about 2500 miles, about half with the carpet in, half with it out. I took all of the carpet out one day (I really can't remember why), and I just left it out for about 1 month. Over this time it got quite a bit of testing, and I think it has exceeded all expectations.

Finish: The Tub looks great whether there is carpet on it, or if it is just Monstaliner. The orange peel look of the liner dulls the shine of the liner a bit, and I think that is a good thing. It also provides sufficient grip for things in the Jeep (although my coffe can with tow chains slid, but it is a plastic can). There is nothing rough about it, so it is very smooth to the touch, and doesn't scratch your arms at the fender wells when grabbing something.

Durability: After allowing the stuff to cure, the abuse was on. I started by dropping a shackle as mentioned above. A little later the real abuse started to come. I "accidentally" threw my tow chain (it is a beastly chain since it bent the bucket of a teramite pulling a maple tree stump that was 6' x 3' plus roots out), and that just put little white marks that came off with a little bit of spit and rubbing. We had the seat out for a while too. When I put the carpet back in the second time, I kind of threw it in out of laziness. Same little white marks.

Repairability: It is amazing how easy it is to actually repair this stuff. When I put the seat back in for the first time, I didn't give the bumper nearly enough time to cure. I dropped the corner of the seat on it, and it chipped through 1 coat of Monstaliner, 4 coats of properly cured Rustoleum Hammered Paint, and 2 Coats of self etching primer. It ended up being down to bare metal, and after a couple of weeks there was some rust. I hit it with a wire wheel on the drill (did nothing to the Monstaliner, just took the rust back to bare metal), and did something Very Amazing (to me at least).

We cracked open the used can of Monstaliner and poured a little bit of M.E.K. underneath the top skin of the leftovers. Since it was still rubbery, it thinned out nicely, and 1 month old liner was once again viable. I used to mixing stick to full in the hole, and a foam brush to add some texture (it is now more like Line-X, but you can only feel the difference, not see it). I applied that in horrible conditions. The bumper was about 35 degrees, and it was about 40 outside. It even rained the same night I put it on. After 1 month, that is still a great patch that is unnoticeable.

Comfort: Since I have driven with and without the carpet for a reasonable amount of time, I can comment about both.
Noise: With the carpet in, it is easily understandable that the noise has gone down quite a bit. As mentioned earlier, 55mph is comfortable at about 13 or 14 on my radio (this is the volume on the stock 2005 RBK radio, and will be used for all volume quantification). I would run have it at about 23 for 55mph before the install. I also notice a big difference in how much of the engine that I can hear. I think the driveline noise is where most of the noise reduction comes from, but that is to be expected. Without the carpet is a little different. I had a fairly good preference of 17/18 at 55mph without the carpet, but that was only for about 1 week. As the weather started to get colder, the wind noise on the windshield has gotten louder, so it I am only taking the numbers from similar weather. This is still a great reduction in noise, and I am very glad about it.
Insulation: As we approached colder weather, the insulating abilities of the liner start to show. It is hard to put a number to this like the noise, but the tub retains the heat much more with and without the carpet. I used to keep the heat all the way in the red after it got warm inside. Without the carpet I have been actually gotten hot trying to do that. I now have to turn the blower all the way down, and turn the knob to a little right of center to maintain the heat. With the carpet it is a whole different story. I was actually on my way home from class once, and it was 30 degrees out. I forgot about turning the heat on once the Jeep was warm, and it was just on lowest fan setting, all the way in the red. I got about 7-10 miles down the road, and I was starting to get hot. I turn the blower off completely, and the Jeep still held the heat so well that I had to turn the red knob down some as hot air was still being forced through the vents. I think that speaks a lot in terms of warmth.

A little off topic, but I do have an update for my recalls. After scheduling the first appointment, it took all of 2 seconds for the techs to realize that I would need the cam shaft positioning sensor too, so they were able to give me my Jeep back without even having to take it apart. I come back a few weeks later (it took them forever to find the needed part), and they took care of the issue in 2 days (drop off on Sunday, got it back Tuesday around noon). Just 2 days ago the CEL decided to come on, and after checking the code, I found out that the cam shaft positioning sensor was out of alignment. When I took it to the dealership they told me if it was from the recall work it would be free, but if it was for something else it would be $98 just for plugging it in to the computer even though I told them what it was. I got a call back about 10 min after leaving saying it was ready to be picked up. The sensor was off by about 12 degrees, just like I said . So... anyone who gets the P0016 CEL, that should be the problem.

A different note. Remember when my dad screwed up my seatbelt? It really was toast, but thanks to a great forum member, I was on my way within a few days. Thanks Dendrophobe for helping me out there.

Edit 2/27/2010:

Well... I have another update:

With the outages these past few days, the Jeep has racked up about 600 miles since Tuesday. Yesterday my uncle got power back and offered us his son-in-laws generator. We took the rear seat and carpet out and grabbed it last night. We had the 5250 watt generator and a 4 gallon gas can in it. The generator has some spilled gas, and so did the can. No issues with the gas on the liner, and it was great. The generator weighs a TON.... we had 6.5 gallons of gas in the generator, and it weighs about 400lbs-500lbs wet. We slid it in place once we got it in, and not a single scratch. We made a couple of sharp turns and stops (95% of the people really don't belong on the road in a state of emergency), and it stayed planted.

We got it home, and I cleaned the back of the Jeep a little. I sprayed some simple green to wet the mud, and paper towels wiped it right up. The gas created no issues, and we had 0 problems. We even had to run it back and forth a couple of times today to get it running (turns out the gas was full of dirt, and there was no oil).

Last edited by LuckRider; 02-27-2010 at 08:22 PM..
Unread 02-07-2010, 09:52 PM   #116
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

So I just got a pm from MagnetMan with the details of the super off that they will be running. I must tell you guys, if you were planning on buying it today, I would wait a little. I can't give details, but it will make the decision between liners quite a bit easier.
Unread 03-05-2010, 01:26 PM   #117
XJisTHErightWAY
2001 XJ Cherokee 

My experience with Herculiner on my bumper has been fantastic. I've been through brush, nudged some trees, even had a mountaineer slam the gas and reverse into me. Not a a problem with it on the strength side at all. However, I found it to fade and look less than aesthetically pleasing in its current state which lead me to look for something different for the inside of the Jeep (will just touch up bumper with the left over Herc I have)

First I looked at U-Pol Raptor liner because the review has been on the homepage of JF for the past 6months and I saw some good results. Then I researched Monstaliner and I have found an equal amount of praise, but with a HUGE presence on the forum and excellent CS. The inside of my Jeep will definitely be getting done with this stuff. MagnetMan actually sent me the answer to my pm that I sent him 5 mins ago while I was writing this.
Unread 03-05-2010, 01:47 PM   #118
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJisTHErightWAY View Post
My experience with Herculiner on my bumper has been fantastic. I've been through brush, nudged some trees, even had a mountaineer slam the gas and reverse into me. Not a a problem with it on the strength side at all. However, I found it to fade and look less than aesthetically pleasing in its current state which lead me to look for something different for the inside of the Jeep (will just touch up bumper with the left over Herc I have)

First I looked at U-Pol Raptor liner because the review has been on the homepage of JF for the past 6months and I saw some good results. Then I researched Monstaliner and I have found an equal amount of praise, but with a HUGE presence on the forum and excellent CS. The inside of my Jeep will definitely be getting done with this stuff. MagnetMan actually sent me the answer to my pm that I sent him 5 mins ago while I was writing this.
Herculiner has definitely been a contender as a DIY product for a long time. This year we are going to challenge that in a big way.

I've lived, breathed and practically slept with Monstaliner for 5 years up until September last year. This is going to be fun and all you guys that have helped, hopefully will be able to witness to the birth of a new star.

Thank you everyone for the support you have given me!

MagnetMan
----------

Last edited by magnetman; 03-05-2010 at 02:25 PM..
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2010, 10:10 AM   #119
asknight
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
So I just got a pm from MagnetMan with the details of the super off that they will be running. I must tell you guys, if you were planning on buying it today, I would wait a little. I can't give details, but it will make the decision between liners quite a bit easier.
Any links to this special deal?
asknight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2010, 11:30 AM   #120
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by asknight View Post
Any links to this special deal?
See the bottom of my signature here
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
install , liner , monstaliner , write-up , writeup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.