Monstaliner: A Full Install Write-Up - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Monstaliner: A Full Install Write-Up

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 11-16-2009, 10:51 PM   #91
generalkaos
2004 LJ Wrangler 

That's awesome magnetman! I'll be waiting.

generalkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2009, 11:27 PM   #92
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
Herculiner stains more because the rubber particles are a bit too large and too close together so they trap dirt in the surface. There's too much rubber in the gallon.

A note to any wanting a Herculiner type product for cheap...
We will be making one very soon. It has a smaller rubber particle than Herc
and will not be as rough. Will sell for $65 per gallon with rollers.
I'll have a further discounted price for JeepForum members
Packaging will be in Quarts and Gallons
Wow, quart packaging would be amazing. My dad and I were saying you guys should sell a 4 quart kit for Jeeps. It seems to be the perfect amount for the tub, bumpers, and any extras that people may want to cover.

An another note, I kept one of the roller trays. It has a coat approximately the same thickness as the Jeep. I am interested to see how it holds up since I didn't prep it in any way. Right now it is pretty flexible and can move easily with the tray.

MagnetMan, so how do you think it turned out?
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2009, 12:29 AM   #93
WILLTAKE
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Luck

I know that in the write I read for the Herc the guy had the same problem with his belts, took them apart and fixed them with no problems, riveted them back together and life was good after.

However, if you do not feel comfortable with that check Ebay

tj seat belt, buy and sell Parts Accessories on eBay Motors

There seemed to be plenty on here and fairly cheap also check the for sale forums on here because there has to be a few people swapping over to harnesses from stock belts or even post a wanted ad.

Good Luck and let us know how it works out
WILLTAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2009, 01:05 AM   #94
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

looks GREAT!
Unread 11-17-2009, 01:58 PM   #95
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I now must thank all who thought this was worthy of crawling. Because of you, it has now made the Top Voted Threads of the week with 13 votes.
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Unread 11-17-2009, 02:45 PM   #96
bogiemj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Looks awesome you have convinced me in getting my wrangler done also. I know its been said and talked about a few times so far, but if you do take the carpet out in the future let us know how the noise level is.
bogiemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2009, 03:39 PM   #97
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogiemj View Post
Looks awesome you have convinced me in getting my wrangler done also. I know its been said and talked about a few times so far, but if you do take the carpet out in the future let us know how the noise level is.
I sure will. I am fully convinced that with the carpet out it should still be less road noise than with no liner but yes to the carpet. This stuff is THICK. I rode to class today with no top (1hour, 45 degrees and it was amazing). Once again I was surprised at how much quieter it was compared to before.

I think either this weekend or next weekend I will start doing some durability tests. Things like chains, hammer, other hard metal things should make for good tests. I think I will even do slide tests. Maybe throw a hammer, a tow chain, and a tool box in the back, and see what it takes to make it slide (without the carpet of course).
Unread 11-17-2009, 04:46 PM   #98
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckrider View Post
Well... I am assuming you don't have a mom like mine. It will make it back out eventually, I am just not sure how quickly. The point of bed lining it was to protect it. I had a little bit of surface rust forming on the driver's front floorboard, and the paint was scuffed under a lot of the carpet.

At minimum I will use was salty carpets as a reason to take it out, then I will conviniently not put it back in. Or I will show my mom that i can sell it for like $60 and that I have no need for it. Actually, I took told me dad I am thinking of starting a thread with a poll asking JF their take on the situation. I may just end up taking the carpet out tomorrow after our trip. I really am not sure what I will do yet. I am almost possitive I will wait till after out trip to the airport so that the fumes aren't as strong, not that they are all that bad now.

You want to know what she wanted me to do last night?

She wanted me to start putting the interior back together. My dad and I put the second coat on starting at about 4pm, there is no way I would be able to do that.
Your Jeep looks good. I like the Monstaliner but don't like the price tag.

Does the Jeep belong to you or your mother?
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2009, 07:39 PM   #99
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well... everyone claims that it is mine, and I will take it over one day, but she did pay for it, and it is registered to her (my dad forgot his wallet the day we picked it up, otherwise it would be registered to him, but she would have final word). I do understand that I have to listen to what she says since it is hers.

Ringwood, I don't know if you read MagnetMan's post, you don't have to buy the $240 kit, you only need 1 of the 2 gallons, and there will be a kit for $65 with rollers with similar to herculiner, but with smaller grain rubber. I wouldn't count them out due to price right away. He also said they will be working discounts for JF members.
Unread 11-18-2009, 10:27 PM   #100
BuzzBee
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckrider View Post
You want to know what she wanted me to do last night?

She wanted me to start putting the interior back together. My dad and I put the second coat on starting at about 4pm, there is no way I would be able to do that.
WOW! I'm not saying this in the sophmoric junior high way, but it sounds like I married your mom! My wife throws my dinner away when I leave the table to go to the bathroom. I think they must be sisters or something....
BuzzBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2009, 11:04 PM   #101
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzBee View Post
WOW! I'm not saying this in the sophmoric junior high way, but it sounds like I married your mom! My wife throws my dinner away when I leave the table to go to the bathroom. I think they must be sisters or something....
Sounds about right. That made me laugh quite a bit.
Unread 11-19-2009, 08:21 AM   #102
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Luck, I read through this and don't recall seeing it. How long did it take you to do all the sanding? 2 days? How long did it take to do the rolling on of each coat?
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2009, 08:30 AM   #103
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

It was harder to determine roll time and sand time since we were in and out both days,

For sanding it took about 4-5 hours for my dad and I. In the middle somwhere we went to go look at new phones (finally got them last night), and then we finished and cleaned it up. My dad and I tried to work out the times, and the best we could do was 2.5 to 3 hours before we left, and 1.5-2 hours when we got back.

Rolling was actually much better, I believe the first coat was about 1.5-2 hours including taping, mixing, and other bs going around holding us up. The second coat was much quicker since everything was already taped. We ran to Sam's Club while it dried, watched a little TV. We let it sit for about 3.5 hours, plenty for it to dry (like I said, it was very humid, and humidity is your friend with this stuff). The second coat took about 1 hour.

This is a great project for a weekend where you can spend some time, take a break, but ultamatly get the work done.
Unread 11-19-2009, 10:06 AM   #104
BigDogTJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Luck...you did a great job. I'm a visual learner so this is a big help for me for when I start this nonsense. I think I'm going to hit Magnetman up tomorrow (paycheck day) and see about ordering a plain gallon Jeep kit. Looks great, glad you're happy with it so far.

As for the other thing (recall crap) what was the production date time frame for the problem parts. I got a '05 TJ as well that was built in April I believe. Let me know.

Great job again
BigDogTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2009, 10:48 AM   #105
alex_c
1997 TJ Wrangler 

looks great! Good job. I'm still undecided on whether or not I want to do this, but threads like these definitely make it look worthwhile.
alex_c is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install , liner , monstaliner , write-up , writeup

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.