Monstaliner: A Full Install Write-Up - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Monstaliner: A Full Install Write-Up

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-15-2009, 07:29 PM   #76
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxnyj18 View Post
So you put the carpet back in? You realize normally, rust starts forming from the underside of your body. I would be more worried about that then anything else, but whatever your money not mine.

I know the rust forms from the underside, and not the inside. I happen to live in NY where we get a lot of snow, and even more salt. The driver's side floor board had some surface rust forming from the salt soaking through the carpet. I wash the salt under the Jeep, but who actually remembers to clean the salt inside tracked in from shoes?

I think the salt on the shoes is actually worse here. With so many people worried about lawsuits, places POUR salt all over stairs and sidewalks, so we get way to much salt inside of vehicles.

I will once again say, I knew the carpet thing would be controversial, but the pros currently outweigh the cons (almost no cons, but the Mom mod gets in the way of everything).

JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2009, 07:42 PM   #77
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculz View Post
What about herculiner? I know that one is thicker than a mo-fo but when i would go wheeling and step back inside with dirt or mud, it would stain the coat since i removed the carpet and never placed it back in after hacking it off with a razor blade.
I missed this comment, sorry. As far as I know, herculiner is not UV-protected, that means it needs a coat of paint to keep it from fading. I would assume this is why it also stains.

This is an assumption, and anyone who has herculiner, if you want to add experience, that would be great.
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Unread 11-15-2009, 09:34 PM   #78
Douglas S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxnyj18 View Post
So you put the carpet back in? You realize normally, rust starts forming from the underside of your body. I would be more worried about that then anything else, but whatever your money not mine.

You should try reading, it tends to explain things.
Unread 11-15-2009, 09:45 PM   #79
1997_Sport
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas S. View Post
You should try reading, it tends to explain things.
I was just busting his balls, like I have on multiple threads. I know the reasons he has, since I read pretty much every post in here. So thanks for the advice, but I already did it.
Unread 11-15-2009, 10:28 PM   #80
WILLTAKE
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Hey great write up. I already herc'ed the inside of my tub but was still curious about the final product. It looks great and makes me wish that I had waited a little longer to put my Herc in.

A quick tip for the seat belts (sorry too late for you) PRIOR to unbolting them, pull a little slack in the belt and then tape or tie them off so that they can't retract and cause these problems.

I was reading your steps and got that "this is gonna suck" feeling when I saw you remove them without locking them in place.
WILLTAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2009, 10:59 PM   #81
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTAKE View Post
Hey great write up. I already herc'ed the inside of my tub but was still curious about the final product. It looks great and makes me wish that I had waited a little longer to put my Herc in.

A quick tip for the seat belts (sorry too late for you) PRIOR to unbolting them, pull a little slack in the belt and then tape or tie them off so that they can't retract and cause these problems.

I was reading your steps and got that "this is gonna suck" feeling when I saw you remove them without locking them in place.
Yeah... I need to make a note of that somewhere in the write-up. I guess this is the time to do it.
Unread 11-16-2009, 09:08 AM   #82
j_bydesign

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nice job... goods pics... I did the Hercu liner in mine about two years ago... two labs who just refused to stay clean when at the parks! go figure? I must admitt after 15+ in CT... I am happy to be in south FL where I do not have to worry about road salt and harsh winters... bigs worry is whether or not to put the doors on for the late afternoon sprinkles... Well done!

'04 TJ... '65 CJ5(sold :( )... 89' Int. Harvester Toter!
j_bydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2009, 11:23 AM   #83
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_bydesign View Post
Nice job... goods pics... I did the Hercu liner in mine about two years ago... two labs who just refused to stay clean when at the parks! go figure? I must admitt after 15+ in CT... I am happy to be in south FL where I do not have to worry about road salt and harsh winters... bigs worry is whether or not to put the doors on for the late afternoon sprinkles... Well done!
Thanks for the kind words. I wish that was all I had to worry about...

On the seat belt front, I stopped by the stealership, the service guy had no idea at all. He sent me through the little glass door to the parts department because he could get an exploded view. Turns out, that view is just how it installs. What a waste.No help at all. I was also reminded why they are called stealerships. That little box costs almost $375 for $25 worth of materials and Mexican labor (says made in Mexico on the back). I will continue to play with it until I get it to work. I might just have to break down and buy a new one.

When I say new one, I mean running to the junk yard. This is a call to anyone who took their rear seats out permanently. Do you have a rear seat belt setup? Willing to help a fellow TJ owner? Please send me one!!!
Unread 11-16-2009, 05:50 PM   #84
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckrider View Post
Thanks for the kind words. I wish that was all I had to worry about...

On the seat belt front, I stopped by the stealership, the service guy had no idea at all. He sent me through the little glass door to the parts department because he could get an exploded view. Turns out, that view is just how it installs. What a waste.No help at all. I was also reminded why they are called stealerships.
Not to defend your particular dealership employees, but the service guys have likely never removed a seatbelt unless they were replacing it for a new one. The parts diagram might have helped, as the service adviser suggested, if it was a serviceable part and showed an exploded view of the seatbelt itself... but seatbelts are considered non-serviceable for liability reasons. So all the parts department can do is order a new one... the prices of which are set by Chrysler, not the dealership.

If you're a regular customer of theirs, they'd probably sell it for well under list price... as I do with all my regular customers. If they consider you a really good customer, you might be able to talk them into looking for a service bulletin about seatbelts, but thanks to Chrysler's lawyers it probably just says something like "Do not allow seatbelts to fully retract. If a seatbelt is fully retracted it must be replaced."

A search for "remove seatbelts" or something similar on the forum probably would have warned you not to allow the seatbelts to retract all the way. Unfortunately, I don't know if it can be repaired or not, but I seem to remember reading a thread detailing taking the seatbelt apart so it can be extended again. A search might answer that question too...

I'll be Savvy someday!
neZZr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2009, 05:51 PM   #85
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

So I just finished dinner after dropping my aunt off at the airport. 4hours in the Jeep teaches you a lot of things. Before I start, note that it was my dad the speed demon driving, not me.

Ok... the first thing we noticed was a major reduction in road noise. We couldn't really place it with the noise from the windshield, but after popping behind a truck pushing 80, we realized you couldn't really hear much pout of the Jeep.

The next thing I noted was more quantifiable. I usually keep the radio at about 23 doing 55. With the the new liner and carpets, we were running just over 75 and it was perfect at 20. That is quite a reduction. Th compare apples to apples, running at 55, it was comfortable at 14 or 15. That is a pretty good reduction in noise.

A reminder to all. Stay away from City Highway Traffic (I know, it is an oxymoron).

To Zach, since you have a soft top with the 42rle behind the 4.0, and soft doors (iirc) what is you radio level?
Unread 11-16-2009, 05:56 PM   #86
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neZZr View Post
Not to defend your particular dealership employees, but the service guys have likely never removed a seatbelt unless they were replacing it for a new one. The parts diagram might have helped, as the service adviser suggested, if it was a serviceable part and showed an exploded view of the seatbelt itself... but seatbelts are considered non-serviceable for liability reasons. So all the parts department can do is order a new one... the prices of which are set by Chrysler, not the dealership.

If you're a regular customer of theirs, they'd probably sell it for well under list price... as I do with all my regular customers. If they consider you a really good customer, you might be able to talk them into looking for a service bulletin about seatbelts, but thanks to Chrysler's lawyers it probably just says something like "Do not allow seatbelts to fully retract. If a seatbelt is fully retracted it must be replaced."

A search for "remove seatbelts" or something similar on the forum probably would have warned you not to allow the seatbelts to retract all the way. Unfortunately, I don't know if it can be repaired or not, but I seem to remember reading a thread detailing taking the seatbelt apart so it can be extended again. A search might answer that question too...
It really doesn't have anything to do with my dealership. You are right there. As for being able to take it apart, that is also impossible, or at least I would never do it. I hear you on the part of the service guys, they probably have never dealt with that.

On another note, I found out that I have 2 recalls. 1 is for the oil pump drive gear. The other is for the tranny cup bracket??? The nice info lady from Chrysler said I should go get those fixed, and have them look at the seatbelt while they are at it to avoid the diagnostic fee ($98).
Unread 11-16-2009, 06:01 PM   #87
jdub2k5
1999 TJ Wrangler 

if you had to buy a new seatbelt, a junkyard would have one for like 15 dollars
Unread 11-16-2009, 06:01 PM   #88
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It really doesn't have anything to do with my dealership. You are right there. As for being able to take it apart, that is also impossible, or at least I would never do it. I hear you on the part of the service guys, they probably have never dealt with that.

On another note, I found out that I have 2 recalls. 1 is for the oil pump drive gear. The other is for the tranny cup bracket??? The nice info lady from Chrysler said I should go get those fixed, and have them look at the seatbelt while they are at it to avoid the diagnostic fee ($98).
I don't remember off hand what the trans recall is, but you definitely want to have the oil pump recall taken care of. My jeep was just outside the build date for that problem, but another guy I work with had to get a new camshaft and related parts as a result of that recall... I think his had only 2500 miles on it at the time!

I'll be Savvy someday!
neZZr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2009, 06:31 PM   #89
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all of the info guys. Once I found out about the pump gear, I KNEW I had to get it fixed asap. I will have to make an appointment. My mom will be flipping, but I will just have to reassure her it is all Free.

As for the seatbelt, I will make some calls on Thursday if I can't get it to work.
Unread 11-16-2009, 10:12 PM   #90
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I missed this comment, sorry. As far as I know, herculiner is not UV-protected, that means it needs a coat of paint to keep it from fading. I would assume this is why it also stains.

This is an assumption, and anyone who has herculiner, if you want to add experience, that would be great.
Herculiner stains more because the rubber particles are a bit too large and too close together so they trap dirt in the surface. There's too much rubber in the gallon.

A note to any wanting a Herculiner type product for cheap...
We will be making one very soon. It has a smaller rubber particle than Herc
and will not be as rough. Will sell for $65 per gallon with rollers.
I'll have a further discounted price for JeepForum members
Packaging will be in Quarts and Gallons
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install , liner , monstaliner , write-up , writeup

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.