Monstaliner: A Full Install Write-Up - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Monstaliner: A Full Install Write-Up

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-15-2009, 11:36 AM   #46
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
Raptor is pretty soft stuff. It will stand up fine to your feet and smaller stuff, but I've dinged mine up a bit with jack stands, a jack, a hi-lift and other stuff. I keep a bottle of truck bed liner around for touch ups. I've added a large 1/4" rubber mat to the back of the jeep to protect the bed liner from getting dinged up. It works wonderfully. If this stuff is significantly harder than Raptor (I bet it is), then I think it's worth it. Luckrider, do some tests once this stuff is fully cured. Drop some crap on it to see what happens. Be careful, though. My Raptor didn't fully cure for about 2 weeks. I waited 3 days to put the seats back in and scraped up a couple spots when doing so.
Has it really been that soft for you? I had a 5500 watt generator sliding around in the back and no dings whatsoever. Literally threw my back seat in there metal brackets downward and no dings not even a scratch. Threw a floor jack either with the same results...that's pretty weird man that its soft for you.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2009, 11:49 AM   #47
TheHeretic
Kool Kat 4x4

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Could have been a curing issue. I had LineX installed in the bed of my 2009 F250, and a carelessly thrown in piece of L 3" x 3" x 1/4" made a nice scratch all the way to the paint. Okay, a tad extreme. I think the dealership didn't allow enough time for curing before delivering it to me.

The only True Professional Mechanic in the Greater Toronto Area for Modified Jeeps, and trucks. If Rock Spyder hasn't seen it before, or done it before, you don't need it.

http://rockspyder4x4.com

http://koolkat4x4.org
TheHeretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2009, 11:59 AM   #48
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerd View Post
Could have been a curing issue. I had LineX installed in the bed of my 2009 F250, and a carelessly thrown in piece of L 3" x 3" x 1/4" made a nice scratch all the way to the paint. Okay, a tad extreme. I think the dealership didn't allow enough time for curing before delivering it to me.
actually Line-X cures in less than an hour. its sprayed on hot, so it dries at room temperature. Rhinoliner takes days to cure - its sprayed on at room temp. they use slightly different chemical reactions to cure.

while liners are usually pretty tough, they aren't indestructable...you can cut/scratch/destroy them. its only plastic (ok, a polymer).
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2009, 12:01 PM   #49
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I can scrape my Raptor up with something sharp and heavy no problem.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2009, 01:41 PM   #50
finalreckoning
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah I was going to suggest that before it cured, to take some of the leftover liner and roll some on some scrap metal, so he can beat up on the scrap metal and see how durable it is.
finalreckoning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2009, 01:54 PM   #51
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well. I did start putting it back together some. I have the driver's seat in. The center console, all the wires. The tail gate latch and covers. I also have all of the brackets for the rear seat in except for the rear driver's side. You need to reinstall the seatbelts before putting that bracket in, and I can't get the driver side rear belt to retract enough to let me bolt it in. I had the same problem with the passenger side, but I was able to fix it somehow. I was carefull putting the driver's seat in, and I will wait some for the passenger. I accidentally dropped the entire seatbelt retracter on the stuff, not even a scratch. I have been bouncing around in the tub, and spinning on it with my shoes absentmindedly. It seems to still be a little soft, but it also seems to be holding up. I will update later, and post some pics.

As for the price, we are trying to determine coverage amounts, so I think the price will drop some because it will be a smaller kit. I think I will even take a comparison pic versus the Line-X in my dad's truck.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2009, 03:00 PM   #52
Whobeme
2010 JK Wrangler 

I had the same problem with my seat belts. I found that if I tilted them forward or backward a little while gently trying to pull the belt out they would release and allow the belt to be pulled out. Then I could bolt it back on.
Whobeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2009, 04:48 PM   #53
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I fixed the one, but my dad starting taking the other one apart. We are going to stop by the our local dealership tomorrow to see if someone can get it to reel out.

I will have FINISHED Pics in a few minutes. I need to transfer and upload them. Stay tuned.
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Unread 11-15-2009, 04:52 PM   #54
TheHeretic
Kool Kat 4x4

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Waiting...

The only True Professional Mechanic in the Greater Toronto Area for Modified Jeeps, and trucks. If Rock Spyder hasn't seen it before, or done it before, you don't need it.

http://rockspyder4x4.com

http://koolkat4x4.org
TheHeretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2009, 04:54 PM   #55
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckrider View Post
I fixed the one, but my dad starting taking the other one apart. We are going to stop by the our local dealership tomorrow to see if someone can get it to reel out.

I will have FINISHED Pics in a few minutes. I need to transfer and upload them. Stay tuned.
DONT take it apart.

Its an easy fix...shake the seatbelt mechanicism while slowly pulling down ...should work fine. It took me a while to fix mine too.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
-Zach
Unread 11-15-2009, 05:13 PM   #56
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Time to put it all back together.

The easiest thing to start with is the front console that covers the shifters. It goes back on the way it came off. There is also something shiny towards the bottom of the picture. This is the clip for the carpet. There is one on each side.

Here you can see the plate that sticks out. This is why we covered the ugly thing. I took great care when reinstalling the front seat so that I didn't scratch the coating. It was easiest to just bring it in from the back.

When putting the pins back in for the wires to the 3rd brake light, using a little bit of lube helps pop it in. I don't have pictures of the cover on the gate, but make sure the wire colors match. The top wire should be white, and the bottom one black, but it may be flipped, the specific position doesn't matter, it just matters that it is black to black, and white to white.

I also did the face bottom and sides of my rear bumper.

This is about how much liner was left over.

You can see here more than 30 hours after mixing the liner is still good enough to use. We covered it between use, so I would imaging the pot life is 10 hours in the open.

Just another picture showing the rear gate. You can clearly see the neat line left from the tape.

I have one surprise left for everyone, but I wont show it till a little later. I am not sure when, but it should be by the end of the night (well.... before I go to sleep).
Unread 11-15-2009, 05:15 PM   #57
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006sport View Post
DONT take it apart.

Its an easy fix...shake the seatbelt mechanicism while slowly pulling down ...should work fine. It took me a while to fix mine too.
Because of you I now need to go outside to get pics. I kept telling him NOT to, but he wouldn't listen. Hold on.
Unread 11-15-2009, 05:17 PM   #58
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

alright, Get some and lemme see.

Quote:
-Zach
Unread 11-15-2009, 05:22 PM   #59
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

See how far in my dad got it stuck. UGH... I told him not to.

and this one
Unread 11-15-2009, 05:25 PM   #60
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

OK, that's not a problem, I had the same one. Hold the mechanism end in your hands while you step on the metal ends that bolt to the tub..shake (not vigorously but the seat belts work on a pendulum type system and when rocked back and forth they lock up so shake enough to unlock it) and pull up slowly..it'll take a lot of attempts but it works. You will have to hold them straight up and down just like they would be mounted in the Jeep

Quote:
-Zach

Last edited by 2006_Sport; 11-15-2009 at 05:38 PM..

Tags
install , liner , monstaliner , write-up , writeup

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.