Monstaliner: A Full Install Write-Up - Page 24 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Monstaliner: A Full Install Write-Up

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 12-29-2010, 05:42 PM   #346
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

find a buddy that has a heated garage and an understanding wife, buy him a case of beer, give him a high five for being a great friend.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2010, 05:47 PM   #347
Coop02x
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygruven View Post
I'll have the help of a friend who drives an XJ, I helped him install his JCR bumper (btw, XJ bumpers are a *****!), so he owes me a hand for a couple hours. We should be able to knock it out pretty easily. I think I'm going to order a couple extra rollers though, just to be safe. From what I've heard, they have fixed the roller degradation problem, but you can never be too safe with something that has a very limited window of time for application. Any tips for getting up behind the pedals/under the dash? That's really the only part I'm worried about getting a good coat on. I also am considering going up under the lip of the cargo area and under the doors, and over the top to protect the tub edges from feet/loading cargo. One last question, were you IN the tub as you lined? or did you do it all from standing around the tub? In which order did you paint? My guess would be up under and behind dash, below door rails, then console components, then driver/passenger foot area, then all the flat, then the wheel wells and tub lips, then tailgate. How did you attack it? Sorry for all the questions, I just wanted to be 110% prepared when I tackle this thing!
If you have someone helping you, then you are good to go. This is definitely not a one man project (at least IMO).

I didn't have any problems with my rollers. To get behind and around pedals, just use a brush. It's not hard to get in and around them. Lining the lip of the cargo area and doors, and your tub rails is not a big deal. Just be sure to tape really good to ensure clean lines. I did all of those areas on mine with no trouble at all.

When lining the front portion of the Jeep, I stood outside of the vehicle. I lined the furthest point forward first, then worked from the middle of the front portion back to the doors. This made it easier to get to things without accidently putting your hand down or your shirt from dropping down into wet material. For the back portion I got up in the tub to line some of the hard to reach places (I was not blessed with height and long arms), then finished from outside the tub. Most people are able to reach everything from outside of the tub.

Hope all of that makes sense and helps! I can throw up some pics of around lip of the doors and cargo area, and tub rails if you want to see how I did it/how it looks.
Unread 12-29-2010, 05:54 PM   #348
Coop02x
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
About how long did it take for you to actually do the lining itself, including brushing under components, rolling, tailgate, etc? Did you have to rush due to quick curing? Did you leave the can closed in between refills of the tray?
It took me about 3 hours for the first coat and 2 hours for the second coat. Keep in mind I was working by myself. With two of you working on it, I would say that you can get each coat down in and hour or so.

I had to be on the move at all times since I was doing it by myself but it shouldn't be so bad if you have someone helping you.

Definitely keep the can closed between refills. Eric said somewhere that even 5-10 mins. here and there can reduce the pot life substantially. If you start to notice that it is thickening up just put a little MEK into the liner and mix it in really good.
Unread 12-30-2010, 02:29 PM   #349
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
i was thinking about doing that exact same thing, luckrider. Stripping down the whole interior except the driver's seat to keep it drivable, then take out the driver's seat to scuff and clean everything, put the driver's seat back in and wait for a time when there are 2-3 days of nice weather (its supposed to be between 50*F and 60*F Jan 3rd-5th here) to do remove the driver's seat again, do a quick touch-up clean and start lining early in the morning. Get the second coat on around 3-4pm, spray with water around 9am the next morning, reinstall the seat the following afternoon around 4pm, leaving the interior stripped for the following week, being careful about my feet. Does that sound viable?
Good answers here to all your questions. I've rolled Monstaliner many times in 45 - 50 deg temps and it works fine but cures a little slower.
May take 4 - 5 hours before it is ready for 2nd coat. If you do find a garage to work in while using any space heaters, DO NOT USE MEK
in there with heaters running.

Other option between coats if your top is on is to run the vehicle with the heat on low blowing from dash vents for an hour or so.
Crack windows a few inches. You can probably cut 2 hours off dry time between coats.
Before you turn heaters on, let solvents evaporate first for 1 hour.

If top is off you may consider draping some plastic over vehicle to hold in some heat.
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2010, 04:18 PM   #350
Coop02x
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
Good answers here to all your questions. I've rolled Monstaliner many times in 45 - 50 deg temps and it works fine but cures a little slower.
May take 4 - 5 hours before it is ready for 2nd coat. If you do find a garage to work in while using any space heaters, DO NOT USE MEK
in there with heaters running.

Other option between coats if your top is on is to run the vehicle with the heat on low blowing from dash vents for an hour or so.
Crack windows a few inches. You can probably cut 2 hours off dry time between coats.
Before you turn heaters on, let solvents evaporate first for 1 hour.

If top is off you may consider draping some plastic over vehicle to hold in some heat.

Sorry, I should have commented about space heaters and MEK instead of assuming that it was implied. If you are in a garage and have to use MEK while lining, Make sure heaters are off and the coils have had time to cool down quite a bit. After using MEK be sure to use a box or ventilation fan to get the fumes out and get some fresh air in.
Unread 12-30-2010, 04:34 PM   #351
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop02x View Post
Sorry, I should have commented about space heaters and MEK instead of assuming that it was implied. If you are in a garage and have to use MEK while lining, Make sure heaters are off and the coils have had time to cool down quite a bit. After using MEK be sure to use a box or ventilation fan to get the fumes out and get some fresh air in.
Good advice. We don't need any pics of charred jeeps or missing hair and eyebrows!
Unread 12-30-2010, 07:08 PM   #352
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

^^^Yeah, common sense should be used with that stuff. Seems like this stuff likes to burn

JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2011, 11:12 PM   #353
monkeygruven
2004 TJ Wrangler 

MagnetMan, can you send me an extra roller? And my 1 gal kit didn't come with any gloves.

The real trail rated badges are located on your skid plates.
monkeygruven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2011, 09:17 AM   #354
mcicero

2014 JK Wrangler 

I am sorry if this is been covered but I am at work and don't have the time to go through 24 pages. Anybody spray it on? I am wanting to spray it on but have never sprayed anything in my life, but I have talked to one person who did and said it wasn't that hard just want some feedback on this. Also anybody do any of the fender flares? If so how does it hold up on them being flexible?
mcicero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2011, 10:58 AM   #355
monkeygruven
2004 TJ Wrangler 

All of that has been covered on probably every page of this thread. Yes, spray with a Shutz gun at 20-80psi. Many people do their flares, but it requires the additional step of using an adhesion promoter. There are pics of Monstalined flares earlier in this thread.

The real trail rated badges are located on your skid plates.
monkeygruven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2011, 11:00 AM   #356
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
MagnetMan, can you send me an extra roller? And my 1 gal kit didn't come with any gloves.
Please PM me your shipping address
Unread 01-22-2011, 04:20 PM   #357
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Hey I just realized that the 1 gallon kit does not include gloves

Sent them anyhow with your roller.
I got to fix that. We're working on a new box for the 1 gal kit to also include a roller pan.

Check it!

Unread 02-11-2011, 01:57 PM   #358
pjgamber

THINK Im going to use this to do the inside of my XJ, including replacing the headliner. looks easy enough to install.

thanks for the great writeup.
pjgamber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2011, 10:57 PM   #359
06TJfototkr
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Well safe to say I'm not only going to buy this stuff to use in my TJ in spring, but when I fix the floor, I think I'll get it for my Nissan 240sx as well... If I can get it in white! If not, that's cool too but I'd prefer white for the Nissan. Looks like a helluva product, you've got me sold here in a month or 2 when its spring and warmer! Great write-up too, very comprehensive.
Unread 02-21-2011, 10:59 PM   #360
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, I am glad it is helping so many people. The Nissan project sounds pretty interesting.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
install , liner , monstaliner , write-up , writeup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.