Monstaliner: A Full Install Write-Up - Page 20 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Monstaliner: A Full Install Write-Up

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-07-2010, 04:18 PM   #286
scottywags
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Monkey, I had to do just that on this project I should have pictures up soon. i would say depending on how bad the rust is ( mine is /was bad) be careful not to grind through the tub.
I did a grind/sand/grind/clean/rust dissolver/grind/sand/clean/rust preventer/then chassis saver/monstaliner routine. It seems like a lot but mine was bad in some spots.

scottywags is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2010, 04:21 PM   #287
XJelvis
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygruven View Post
Has anybody used a wire wheel on a grinder to sand the tub? How successful was this method? I finally got my rear seat mount brackets out (cut off the bracket and bolt heads), so I am ready to move on with the project. Thanks in advance!
I've done that for rust removal, but it would be overkill if you mean using it for the "scuff up the surface with the included sanding pad" step of Monstaliner. I think you'd remove too much paint.

Everywhere I sanded down like that, I used Chassis Saver before the Monstaliner.
XJelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2010, 03:13 PM   #288
scottywags
1998 TJ Wrangler 

What do you use to cover the bolt heads when doing the monstaliner? I have the holes stuffed but I haven't seen in any of the threads what they use to cover the bolt heads that werent removed.
Unread 10-08-2010, 06:50 PM   #289
iamcorey
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottywags View Post
What do you use to cover the bolt heads when doing the monstaliner? I have the holes stuffed but I haven't seen in any of the threads what they use to cover the bolt heads that werent removed.
I used maskng tape. Push down hard. Roll lightly.
iamcorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2010, 09:20 PM   #290
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I cheated and just lined them too. I figured if it was serious, I would just try putting a ratchet over the liner. really though, taking a knife and cutting around the bolt when the liner has skinned over should allow you to peel it. I haven't tried it, but I think it might work.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2010, 12:17 AM   #291
asknight
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
I cheated and just lined them too. I figured if it was serious, I would just try putting a ratchet over the liner. really though, taking a knife and cutting around the bolt when the liner has skinned over should allow you to peel it. I haven't tried it, but I think it might work.
That's the standard procedure with truck beds. Just line the bolts and all and when you need to remove a bolt, score the liner around the perimeter of the bolt head with a razor blade or sharp knife and it'll turn free easily if the threads aren't rust locked.
asknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 12:15 PM   #292
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottywags View Post
Agreed, just coat over them
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 12:24 PM   #293
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygruven View Post
Has anybody used a wire wheel on a grinder to sand the tub? How successful was this method? I finally got my rear seat mount brackets out (cut off the bracket and bolt heads), so I am ready to move on with the project. Thanks in advance!
A palm sander with 60 to 100 grit works well. If you go coarse it works faster but be careful on ridges and high spots or will go down to metal. If you just go with 100 grit you'll be safer.

Regarding wire wheel, grinder combo: Most grinders spin way too fast for paint prep. Speeds can be 11,000 rpm. We used a detailers polisher with a wire cup brush because the speed is variable from 0 to 6000 rpm. I still like the palm sander better and no matter what you will still have many areas that can only be done by hand using the supplied brown scuff pad or sandpaper.
Unread 10-10-2010, 05:57 PM   #294
Baldbear
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Finally got a weekend to get the jeep lined. Been slowly taking things out of the jeep little by little and friday finally took out the drivers seat. Cleaned and prepped everything on saturday, used chassis saver on 6 spots inside. Got an early start on sunday and got the first coat on in 2 hours. Went and watched some football and then went back out and put on the 2nd coat. Very happy with the results, no problems were encountered. I too made a small 2" roller, ended up using it over the bigger 4" roller.
Stripped and cleaned.

End results...

Thanks magnetman I am very pleased with the end results, very easy to do.
Baldbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 09:54 PM   #295
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Nice job and great photos, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldbear View Post
Finally got a weekend to get the jeep lined. Been slowly taking things out of the jeep little by little and friday finally took out the drivers seat. Cleaned and prepped everything on saturday, used chassis saver on 6 spots inside. Got an early start on sunday and got the first coat on in 2 hours. Went and watched some football and then went back out and put on the 2nd coat. Very happy with the results, no problems were encountered. I too made a small 2" roller, ended up using it over the bigger 4" roller.
Stripped and cleaned.

End results...

Thanks magnetman I am very pleased with the end results, very easy to do.
Unread 10-15-2010, 01:45 PM   #296
scottywags
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Monstaliner install

Finally finished a few days ago. I've got the drivers seat back in but am waiting to get new bolts for the passenger side. All in all in went pretty well, I do have to say that this stuff really sets up QUICK! By the 2nd coat it was like trying to paint with crunchy peanut butter.
In the 1st pic I am going after the rust with a wire wheel.
2nd pic is just a random from the back.
The 3rd is after just the wire wheel.
4th pic is when I applied naval jelly to help kill the rust.
the 5th pic is after the naval jelly is washed away. Pretty good I think. I could not get up on the side there cause it is warn pretty thin.
img_0233.jpg   img_0235.jpg   img_0237.jpg   img_0239.jpg   img_0240.jpg  

Unread 10-15-2010, 01:48 PM   #297
scottywags
1998 TJ Wrangler 

After a lot of scrubbing and sanding

And here are some pics of the chassis saver applied.
man I LOVE this stuff!
img_0268.jpg   img_0269.jpg   img_0270.jpg  
Unread 10-15-2010, 01:55 PM   #298
scottywags
1998 TJ Wrangler 

And then Monstaliner

Here are some wet and dry pics of the Monstaliner installed.
Thank You for a great product and all the info!
img_0288.jpg   img_0292.jpg   img_0293.jpg   img_0296.jpg  
Unread 10-18-2010, 08:17 PM   #299
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Colors - colors - colors

Revised Monstaliner home page is up.
New colors page is live.

Hello Everyone,

Our work to develop a tintable Monstaliner formula is coming to a close. Our intentions now are to collect information on the most popular
and desirable colors that our customers and the Jeep/Pickup market is looking for. There will be some limitations on what we plan to initially
offer and we do not guarantee that all requests can be fulfilled immediately. Please fill in the form at the link below so we can
communicate with you directly.

MONSTALINERô Color Request Form
Unread 10-19-2010, 03:05 PM   #300
BenchTT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I originally wanted the silver to match the exterior color. Did the black 2 Fridays ago and it came out good but kind of still wished it were silver. BTW I let it sit for 7 days in the garage before putting the interior back together, I now get high every time I drive it. About how long until I wont smell the fumes anymore?
BenchTT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install , liner , monstaliner , write-up , writeup

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.