Monstaliner: A Full Install Write-Up - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Monstaliner: A Full Install Write-Up

Advance Adapters SYE KitsARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-28-2010, 08:59 PM   #196
cadeucsb
1999 TJ Wrangler 

luckrider, when pulling the front seats out...whats the best position to have the seats in for easy removal/re-installation? On the front passenger side, did you have the seat fully slid forward/tilted up?

cadeucsb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2010, 09:01 PM   #197
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, I did that months ago, and IIRC, after unbolting it, I left it in the upright position slid forward. Then I rolled the top out and lifted the res out.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2010, 09:17 PM   #198
TheHeretic
Kool Kat 4x4

2005 TJ Wrangler 

M.e.k.

Okay, can I use Acetone instead of M.E.K. ? I can't find this stuff ANYWHERE in Ontario.

The only True Professional Mechanic in the Greater Toronto Area for Modified Jeeps, and trucks. If Rock Spyder hasn't seen it before, or done it before, you don't need it.

http://rockspyder4x4.com

http://koolkat4x4.org
TheHeretic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2010, 09:19 PM   #199
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You can. It dries a little quicker, but it will still remove the wax and gunk from the paint.
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Unread 05-28-2010, 09:24 PM   #200
TheHeretic
Kool Kat 4x4

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
You can. It dries a little quicker, but it will still remove the wax and gunk from the paint.
Thanks for the very quick reply!

I just finished removing everything but the driver seat. I need to be able to drive it out of the garage tomorrow morning to start sanding, and such.

The only True Professional Mechanic in the Greater Toronto Area for Modified Jeeps, and trucks. If Rock Spyder hasn't seen it before, or done it before, you don't need it.

http://rockspyder4x4.com

http://koolkat4x4.org
TheHeretic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2010, 09:25 PM   #201
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeretic View Post

I just finished removing everything but the driver seat. I need to be able to drive it out of the garage tomorrow morning to start sanding, and such.
No Problem

I used a bucket to move it the 15ft. from the driveway to the garage
Unread 05-29-2010, 11:26 AM   #202
cadeucsb
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeretic View Post

nice, I am almost at the same place, still need to remove the passenger seat/shifter console. Then its sand/tape time and liner time next weekend.
Unread 05-29-2010, 07:26 PM   #203
xplodn
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I am still throwing this around for my TJ and my new truck needs a liner too.... but I am not 100% sold that this will take the abuse I use my truck bed for. Lets just say that any and everything goes inside the bed as long as the outside still looks perfect I dont care.

My original plan was to do it over the winter here but never got around to it... guess ill have to plan to get a garage AC unit for this job, shucks.

I know lots of the locals are waiting for a report on UV and abuse. Magnet man, since we last spoke about a test rig in the southwest sun, any new info? it would HAVE to be 110% UV stable
xplodn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2010, 09:35 PM   #204
cadeucsb
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Man sanding white is a serious pain in the ***. Sanded a ton today, plenty of paint dust and it looks no different than when I started, so no clue if I have done enough...I can only see the scuff/scratches if I angle the sun to look for them. Plus the previous owner had mud in the tub (no carpet), so some nicks/crannies are impossible to clean with soap/water/brush/rag (hope that doesnt bite me in the *** later via peeling liner).

My rear latch was a little different on my 99, I did have to remove torx screws to remove the metal latch cover and the torx to remove the actual latch were under that (didnt remove those).

Also managed to sheer the passenger seat rear bolt (non torx)...got the seat out, but gonna have to drill it out and find a replacement.
Unread 05-30-2010, 05:40 AM   #205
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Grab some MEK and a paper towel. Wipe it down, and the paper towel should changed colors. If it does, you have sanded enough.

Good luck replacing that bolt. Bring the head to a bolt shop and get a grade 8 replacement. I believe the factory bolts are grade 5, but there is nothing wrong with overkill when the bolt means safety.
Unread 06-02-2010, 10:27 PM   #206
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplodn View Post
I am still throwing this around for my TJ and my new truck needs a liner too.... but I am not 100% sold that this will take the abuse I use my truck bed for. Lets just say that any and everything goes inside the bed as long as the outside still looks perfect I dont care.

My original plan was to do it over the winter here but never got around to it... guess ill have to plan to get a garage AC unit for this job, shucks.

I know lots of the locals are waiting for a report on UV and abuse. Magnet man, since we last spoke about a test rig in the southwest sun, any new info? it would HAVE to be 110% UV stable
Let me ask a question before I answer yours.

When you go to the car dealer to buy a new car do you ask the sales guy if this paint job will still look good in the AZ sun in 3 or 5 years?
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 10:31 PM   #207
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

color yet?

Want to STOP?

Edited
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 10:36 PM   #208
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpster View Post
color yet?
Update will be on Monday. Very soon now, in final testing mode
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2010, 08:19 AM   #209
xplodn
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
Let me ask a question before I answer yours.

When you go to the car dealer to buy a new car do you ask the sales guy if this paint job will still look good in the AZ sun in 3 or 5 years?
You know... nevermind.
xplodn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2010, 10:22 PM   #210
cadeucsb
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Did mine today...was supposed to be cool and humid today, so set the day aside for it. Turned out to be 95 today....yay for working outside all day long in that. Worked in the garage, but this stuff cures FAST in warm temps. Took me about 2hrs to lay the first coat by myself. By the time I finished that coat, where I started was already no longer tacky. Still gave it 1.5 hours more to dry before coat two.

It was waaaay more time consuming than I expected, a lot of brush work required where the roller cant fit or would make a mess. Also a lot of touch up on coat two as I could see white spots where I had applied it and needed filling in. All in, it was a 9-5pm day with a 1.5 break for drying/lunch (and it was completely prepped/taped last weekend).

Magnetman gave me a couple foam pads for adding texture to the brushed areas. Worked great for final touch-ups too. Tape was a bit fussy in places to remove, but nothing a little touch up couldnt fix.

Overall, I am very impressed with Monstaliner ...my back is gonna hate me tomorrow, but at least the jeep looks great. Chassis saver came in handed for rusty/corroded spots too.

Before:

After:

Tags
install , liner , monstaliner , write-up , writeup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.