Monroe Max-Air rear shocks for towing. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Monroe Max-Air rear shocks for towing.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 07-29-2013, 10:39 PM   #1
SCouch
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Monroe Max-Air rear shocks for towing.

Has anyone used Monroe Max-Air rear shocks to level the Wrangler for towing or heavy rear loads? I have read somewhere that air shocks do not ride well on the highway, but I believe they may have been speaking of off-road air shocks. I am also entertaining the air spring kits like below. I intend to keep the suspension mostly stock, will be pulling a 10' enclosed trailer with 2 motorcycles. The LJ will only see light off road duty, and I would like to keep the OEM ride.

http://www.andysautosport.com/jeep/1...l00190432.html

SCouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 06:47 AM   #2
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Installing AirLift load leveling airbags on your Jeep.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 07:57 AM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I installed Airlift lift bags in one of my previous tow vehicles for towing a boat & they did a great job at leveling the Jeep out from the boat's tongue weight.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 08:24 AM   #4
SCouch
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks! I also need shocks, and thought I might solve both problems with air shocks. I've searched around, but haven't found much info on the air shocks.

The air bags look like a good way to handle the added weight of a front bumper and winch, and retain the factory ride.
Unread 07-30-2013, 09:00 AM   #5
vtx531
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have Max Air shocks front and rear. They didn't make them for Jeeps when I got them a few years ago. I think the rears were from an E-150 and the front from a 70's Pontiac car and I had to modify them and use bar-pin eliminators. I always keep them at minimum pressure. They will raise up about 1.25" at full pressure. I tow a 2,500lb boat/trailer and never need to air them up. Max tongue weight is only about 200lbs anyways so not really that much weight on the rear end. I am thinking about going back to regular shocks. The Max Air shocks ride fine.

MY JEEP
vtx531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCouch View Post
The air bags look like a good way to handle the added weight of a front bumper and winch, and retain the factory ride.
Air bags are strictly for temporary uses, like when towing a trailer with a heavy tongue weight. For permanent height adjustment, like after having installed heavy items like a winch, you need either taller/stiffer springs, or spring spacers. And air bags definitely don't maintain the factory ride.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
SCouch
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Got it. Trailer use is the reason I'm getting them for, scratch the use for winch.

Air bags won't ride similar to factory at the minimum pressure with no load? With a higher pressure and a load, I'm ok with a stiffer ride.
Unread 07-30-2013, 01:18 PM   #8
2k2wranglerx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Wow. Just buy a weight distributing hitch and do It right. No major install. And it actually distributes the weight to te front wheels rather than just "leveling" the tow Rig. And when you're not towing its factory everything.

I used a Reese setup. Way overkill for your application but it makes way more sense than dealing with airbags. And not to mention takes a lot of stress off the rear axle.
Unread 07-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #9
2k2wranglerx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0024E...AC_SX110_SY190

There's lighter duty ones. But you just don't have to crank the load bars down as tight. Some have anti sway too. Which is a bonus behind a swb tow rig.

Here's one with sway control. This one uses the friction style control.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0071X...AC_SX110_SY190

There's also nicer ones with cam sway control. They're a little more $
Unread 07-30-2013, 06:41 PM   #10
SCouch
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The leveling bars are a great idea for my enclosed trailer. But that's a lot to do for my utility trailer with a 4 wheeler.

Do the leveling bars require a heavy duty hitch? I have a receiver rated Class III 5,000 lbs
Unread 07-30-2013, 07:24 PM   #11
SCouch
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I decided to install an Airlift kit and see how it works. I appreciate the information on the lightweight leveling hitch, I'm going to see if I can find a light unit for my heavier trailer. I like the idea of the Airbags, because any load seems to make Wranglers squat in the rear, and its cheap right now.

I ordered the Airlift kit online at Advance Auto, got 15% off, and a $25 coupon for my next parts order(code JL21 if you order). Airlift has a $100 rebate for the bags and controller, so I'm about $100 for the entire kit.

Airlift Air Shock Controller
Part No 25804 $140.99 Discount -$21.15 $119.84

Airlift 1000; Coil Spring
Part No 60811 $99.99 Discount -$15.00 $84.99
Unread 07-30-2013, 09:02 PM   #12
2k2wranglerx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The leveling bars are a great idea for my enclosed trailer. But that's a lot to do for my utility trailer with a 4 wheeler.

Do the leveling bars require a heavy duty hitch? I have a receiver rated Class III 5,000 lbs
I don't believe so.

Quote:
I decided to install an Airlift kit and see how it works. I appreciate the information on the lightweight leveling hitch, I'm going to see if I can find a light unit for my heavier trailer. I like the idea of the Airbags, because any load seems to make Wranglers squat in the rear, and its cheap right now.

I ordered the Airlift kit online at Advance Auto, got 15% off, and a $25 coupon for my next parts order(code JL21 if you order). Airlift has a $100 rebate for the bags and controller, so I'm about $100 for the entire kit.

Airlift Air Shock Controller
Part No 25804 $140.99 Discount -$21.15 $119.84

Airlift 1000; Coil Spring
Part No 60811 $99.99 Discount -$15.00 $84.99
So to save 50 bucks you're going to basically make your jeep ride like hell and tow no better.

All you're doing with those is leveling the jeep. You still have the SAME tongue weight whether you have airbags or not.

The load bars actually reduce the tongue weight. That's what fixes the squat in the back. In theory if you run a heavy enough load bar you could remove the rear tires and the axle would be off the ground.

I just don't understand why people insist on airbags for towing. Airbags are for carrying heavy loads. Not towing.

Your rig. Do what you want.
Unread 07-30-2013, 09:15 PM   #13
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
So to save 50 bucks you're going to basically make your jeep ride like hell and tow no better.
my jeep with airbags rides the same as without, and it's more stable with heavy loads...including towing.

Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 09:37 PM   #14
2k2wranglerx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
my jeep with airbags rides the same as without, and it's more stable with heavy loads...including towing.

Towing with a proper setup would blow your mind then.

Airbags don't fix you being over your tongue weight. Wd hitch does. It actually lessens the tongue weight, fixes the squat, and moves the weight forward to the steer axle.
Unread 07-30-2013, 10:00 PM   #15
SCouch
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post

All you're doing with those is leveling the jeep. You still have the SAME tongue weight whether you have airbags or not.

I just don't understand why people insist on airbags for towing. Airbags are for carrying heavy loads. Not towing.

Your rig. Do what you want.
I don't know if you have an LJ, but they can hold a lot more than a short wheelbase.

Wranglers tend to squat under any load. This past weekend, I had one person in the back, a couple of small bags, some tools(the back was full) and it was squatting. I'm not going to attach sway bars every time I hook up my utility trailer. I just don't see that as necessary. I'm adding the air bags for loading and towing purposes. I've also seen several people state that the airbags didn't make that much difference in the ride, or actually improved the ride.

I do agree, that I should get the leveling hitch for the larger heavier trailer.

I'll let you know how this plays out, for better or for worse.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.