mono tube or twin tube - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > mono tube or twin tube

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 02-25-2005, 12:48 PM   #1
mud n rox
2001 TJ Wrangler 

mono tube or twin tube

Whats the difference between a mono tube and a twin tube shock?? I know the mono has one tube and the twin has two, but how do they differ in performance? Why would I want one over the other??

Caution: Rock and a hard place just ahead.

[/FONT][/I][/B]
mud n rox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2005, 01:07 PM   #2
mwiggs2017

Good question..i was wondering the same..
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers
32x11.50 BFGoodrich M/T
[COLOR=SandyBrown][B]Student Jeep Club, Member #3[/B][/COLOR]
(O||||||O) "Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive"-[I]Van Wilder[/I]
mwiggs2017 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2005, 02:19 PM   #3
Parts_Breaker

Twin Tube Gas
This type of shock absorber has two tubes. An outer reservoir tube and inner pressure tube. The piston moves up and down inside the pressure tube and oil is forced through the compression valve or the rebound valve.

As the oil displaces, an inert gas such as nitrogen at relatively low pressure (around 5 atmospheres) is maintained on the oil in the reservoir tube.

The reason why an inert gas at pressure is used, is to reduce the chances of aeration. This type of shock absorber eventually will fade if used hard and simply requires time to cool for full damping to return.

Mono Tube
As the name implies, this type of shock absorber uses only one tube and the piston valving controls both rebound and compression damping. A floating piston separates the nitrogen gas from the oil and the gas is at a high pressure generally above 20 atmospheres.

This type of shock absorber is more prone to stone damage than the twin tube types. Once the tube is hit, the rod piston and/or floating piston will no longer seal properly against the cylinder wall.

With the gas at the bottom of the shock absorber, it's difficult to design one with as much travel as the twin tube designs above. As such it's a popular shock absorber on road cars and as it heats up, the gas pressure increases and exerts more force on the oil. The end result is that the damping rates increase with heat.

More info here...http://www.safari4x4.com.au/80scool/...absorbers.html
Parts_Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2005, 02:22 PM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The above is true but monotube shocks are generally better shocks and is what I recently swapped to. Rock damage isn't really a common enough issue to worry about since shocks are generally tucked pretty well up and out of the way. So far as them not being suitable for long-travel suspensions, there are some well known suspension lift manufacturers that would disagree with that. For example, Rubicon Express's "Extreme" shocks that are available at extra cost on RE's high-end long-travel kits are monotube designs.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2005, 02:30 PM   #5
mud n rox
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, so which one do I want to have on my jeep?? My wheeling is on trails and hills, and a little mud never hurt.

Caution: Rock and a hard place just ahead.

[/FONT][/I][/B]
mud n rox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2005, 02:35 PM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lug nut
Sounds to me like the twin tube is more suited for 4 wheeling since it is less likely to incure damage.
Once again, that is not true, the operative word being "likely". MANY hardcore rigs are running monotube shocks. In all the years I've been Jeeping, wheeling, and rock crawling, I have never personally seen or read of it happening. I'm not saying it has never happened, just that it must be pretty darned rare.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.