Mods to avoid - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Mods to avoid

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-29-2007, 10:05 AM   #1
jericho2068
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Mods to avoid

Most of us have done it, paid money for mods that we regretted later! What mod do you regret? I'll start with something small, I went with a stainless light bar, instead of black...Yours?

jericho2068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2007, 10:05 AM   #2
msavard
2004 TJ Wrangler 

OEM/Warn Engine Skid.

Fine for the casual wheeler but if you play in the Rocks DO NOT GET THIS SKID.
4.0L Auto • 35" Maxxis Bighorns • D30/D44 w 4.88 Gears • 2.5" OME LJ/XJ lift • JKS Trackbars • Brown Dog MML • 1" BL • Warn Engine Skid • Aussie Locker (FR) / Rubi Air Locker (REAR) • SYE/CV • Nth Adj Control Arms • Bestop Oversize Tire Carrier • PSC Rocker Knockers • ORO Swayloc • TNT Tube Fenders

MIDSOUTH JEEP CLUB > Jeepers from TN, AR, MS, and KY
msavard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2007, 10:08 AM   #3
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

stage build ups, if you know you want 6" LA and 36" iroks save and and do that and skip the 2" and 32s

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2007, 10:11 AM   #4
sixshooter05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Anything Chrome !!
Blue Jeep Club #145
2005 Wrangler X Patriot Blue 4.0L 6 speed
RC 2.5 lift w/ 3/4" front spacers, 2.2 shocks & steering stabilizer. JKS disco's
3.07 gears 31x10.5x15LT Firestone Destination AT
sixshooter05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2007, 10:16 AM   #5
Steelman
IX-X-XIII-XIV-XL-XLIII

1998 TJ Wrangler 

When I first got my Jeep a couple of years ago, I bought a set of used tube steps. They didn't last long...they ended up kinda shaped like a rainbow! Thankfully I only paid $40 for 'em. Much happier with my Shrockworks rockers now!
my rig: http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
Are you bipolar, passive agressive, or just unable to recognize the dichotomy of your thought processes?
Steelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2007, 10:25 AM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

ProComp suspension lift, ProComp ES-3000 shocks, nerf bars (tube steps), tail light guards, first-generation Tera control arms (distinguished by having polyurethane bushings at both ends), under-hood tool box, under-hood Hi-Lift mount, K&N air filter, throttle body spacer, dimpled/drilled brake rotors, 33" spare tire on factory spare tire bracket... and probably a few other mods that I'll remember later.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2007, 10:32 AM   #7
chutta
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Safari doors cuz I was a *****newbie, along with overhead light bar and tubes(dealer)
05x 4.0 6sp 30/35, aussie front, 3.73's, r/c 4"x lift, adv adptr sye, shifter bracket, tw cv ds, 33 t/c skid, 33x12.5 dunlop mud rovers on steelies, psc sport cage/rockers, warn fr bump/steer and 30 diff skid, sirius,cb, hand throttle 1"bl/mml 265/16's pepboys at's on orig moabs for street. Lowrance H20c for gps
chutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2007, 10:34 AM   #8
HitIt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Wow Jerry, that reads like a used Jeep ad.

Olympic 4x4 bumpers for me. Cheap price = cheap parts.
HitIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2007, 10:35 AM   #9
Chris_
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Those plastic bumper caps that replace the floaties. I tore one off on my very first wheeling trip, and you can't just snap them back on.
Unread 06-29-2007, 10:37 AM   #10
Mayfair_Jeeper
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Safari doors cuz I was a *****newbie
Why??I thought they were kind of cool looking and functional. Keep you from fallin gout, but still have the open air feeling....Not arguing, just wondering why you didnt like them...
Mayfair_Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2007, 10:39 AM   #11
Scottfloors
Lets All Go Hunting!

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ner'f I never put them on and gave them away!
Scottfloors is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2007, 10:41 AM   #12
Cooneys08JK

2008 JK Wrangler 

K&N air filter

Jerry what was wrong with the K&N fliter...I love mine I actually just recharged it for the 2nd time and it still looks brand new...What problems did you have?

In regards to the forum..Mine would be a non waterproof after market clarion headunit which got soaked and never worked right again....

'99 Chilli Pepper XJ- Wheeler- BFG ATs, 2 " BB + bolt on stuff
Cooneys08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2007, 10:48 AM   #13
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooneyb
K&N air filter

Jerry what was wrong with the K&N fliter...I love mine I actually just recharged it for the 2nd time and it still looks brand new...What problems did you have?....
It's well known as probably the worst air filter you can buy so far as how well it actually filters the air. Even a scientifically conducted (via ISO standards) air filter test confirmed just how bad it is at filtering out fine dust and silica.

Check out a recent post I made at http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...6&postcount=21 for a little more information.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2007, 10:52 AM   #14
dspgajeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Putting a full size CB in my Jeep because someone gave it to me. I didn't know that the actual CB is the cheapest part and their ain't a lot of room in the jeep. I made two stupid mistakes. (a) I looked on this forum for a couple of hours and didn't find a mounting place I liked from your suggestions. So I mounted it on the passenger side of the stick shift cover ( I don't know what the official name of this area is). It seemed like a brilliant idea until I tried to pull up my tumble passenger seat and it hit the CB. (b) I bought a 9 foot cable because I convinced myself the wrangler couldn't be that long. Well, it connected. But, just barely and not routed the way I wanted thru the cab.

If I was starting from scratch I would have bought a much smaller unit. But, I don't give up easily so Last week I bought a seat riser kit and mounted the CB under the seat. I like this alot more. Now I can see over the hood, get to my CB when necessary, and tumble my passenger seat!!

2003 Rubicon
Warn M8000, Tuffy Bolt Locks, Best top Soft Top, OEM Hard Top, Warn Tow Hooks, Class III Hidden Hitch, Scanegauge II, Cobra CB 40x with Firestik II antenna, Sirius Radio, Topfive Rack (avoid), All J 2x3 Rubicon Boulderbars, and HF Cargo Carrier.
dspgajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2007, 10:54 AM   #15
adurbin
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The mod I regret most right now, is the mod that was recently done to my fender on a wheeling trip to harlan ky. My fender looks like a pretzel now.
Northeast Tennessee Jeep Club Member #1
adurbin is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.