modification process????? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > modification process?????

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-15-2004, 01:16 PM   #1
Jeepin_Al
DAJC.......Get stuck!!!!

modification process?????

ok, here is the problem, I have the dana 35 with 3.07's and drum brakes, I want 4.10's or 4.56's and disk brakes and a stronger axle to handle some 33's. I am going to get a ford 8.8 out of an explorer and swap it out rather then regear and reinforce the d35. I don't have the money to do everything at once, but I am going to be getting a set of RE adjustable control arms pretty quick and want to put an SYE/cv in and am wondering about the length of the CV. Can I get the SYE/CV now and install them and then do the 8.8 swap or is the length that much different? I am just floating an idea so any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks alot, AL

Unread 06-15-2004, 08:33 PM   #2
pnshr99

sye / cv length

I don't know for sure on length but I have a 6" fabtech longarm and my cv measures out at 17" center to center after the sye was put in. Itshould be the same if you have a smaller lift and should not matter if you do it before or after the lift is on.
pnshr99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2004, 09:01 PM   #3
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

When you do the 8.8 your driveshaft will have to be modified.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2004, 10:28 PM   #4
EDM0656

All the reading I've done contradicts this. Going from a Dana 44 to a Ford 8.8 requires a longer driveshaft, but going from a Dana 35 to a Ford 8.8 should not. Keep reading or wait until someone replies that has done the swap.
Crager Black Steel Wheels 3.75" backspace
Bestop Bikini
Mirror Movers and some lights
Cobra 29 CB
and a few more payments
EDM0656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2004, 12:52 PM   #5
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I used my same driveshaft when I swapped my 35 for the 8.8 - I was fortunate. Worse case scenario is you may have to shorten your driveshaft which is pretty inexpensive.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.