Modification advice for light wheeling. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Modification advice for light wheeling.

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-14-2010, 12:21 PM   #16
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam36 View Post
im a complete rookie lol, im not sure which axle i have or my rear gear ratio lol....how do i go about finding that out....sorry about my lack of knowledge haha
I'm as new as you around here.... just a few more yrs of living under my belt!
Plate (between two bolts) on the rear pumpkin cover, or..........
Go to dealer Parts Dept, with VIN #, and ask for a "Build Sheet". Free and it wil list all factory parts/options installed on your TJ. Handy to have!

Plate on my axle reads... "3 07 5993-1". That's a 3.07 gear ratio.
Other row of #'s is for different info.

RJ

RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 12:53 PM   #17
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
im a complete rookie lol, im not sure which axle i have or my rear gear ratio lol....how do i go about finding that out....sorry about my lack of knowledge haha
See the Boot Camp Thread linked in my sig? click that.

lucky for you the 6-speed manual has pretty close, deep gearing, so you wont notice the tire size change near as much as an auto.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 03:25 PM   #18
bmw91
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
look at your front axle on the left side of the differential cover. there should be a tag between the two center bolts, well on mine it is anyways.

oh and as for light offroading, what i'm doing is getting the 2.5 rc lift with 31x10.5 bfg ats. im getting it all done next week.
bmw91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 10:10 PM   #19
IggyThump
2005 TJ Wrangler 

You can find your rear axle type online, just do some research on your type of Jeep. Mines a Rocky Mountain Ed so it came stock with a dana 44 rear axle so I had no problem getting the 4 in lift and running 33's
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Red"][B][SIZE="4"]Red Jeep Club Member #595[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

05 Rocky Mountain Edition TJ I6-4.0L, 4" RC suspension lift, D!ck Cepek Crusher 33x12.50/15's, Flowmaster 40

[COLOR="Red"]./l ,[____],
l---L [COLOR="black"]0[/COLOR]lllllll[COLOR="black"]0[/COLOR]-
[COLOR="Black"]()_) ()_)-o-)_)[/COLOR][/COLOR]
IggyThump is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 10:26 PM   #20
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

A little effort with search and reading the FAQs goes a long way.

Short answer: 33s are gonna cost to do right, because you'll need to regear... and then do it again when you go to 35s.

Wheel it as is, add some armor, look at a thousand builds, read why not just how they did it, and start putting stupid amounts of cash away each month... then build a balanced machine all at once.

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 11:35 PM   #21
vilseck21
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have the Rough County 2.5 inch lift, and love it. That life also give you 200 more dollars to play with
vilseck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 11:45 PM   #22
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilseck21 View Post
I have the Rough County 2.5 inch lift, and love it. That life also give you 200 more dollars to play with
Until you have to toss the shocks for being too stiff and add better ones...

I LIKE the progressive idea, if the spring rates are good for YOU, and cheap shocks tend to ride that way and be too stiff... but for the price, the RC 2.2 2 1/2 is a pretty fair start.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Unread 07-15-2010, 12:02 AM   #23
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodyrider View Post
Until you have to toss the shocks for being too stiff and add better ones...

I LIKE the progressive idea, if the spring rates are good for YOU, and cheap shocks tend to ride that way and be too stiff... but for the price, the RC 2.2 2 1/2 is a pretty fair start.
yep. everyone is saying to replace the shocks with OME, or even skyjacker shocks. heck, i run stock replacement shocks in the rear.
Unread 07-15-2010, 12:38 AM   #24
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

My vote is a BB/1.25"BL and OME or Bilstein shocks. Get some swaybar disconnects if you can afford them. Just like someone stated earlier, keep and eye on the for sale section for cheap used parts. All the stuff youre looking for pops up quite often.
Unread 07-15-2010, 09:21 AM   #25
cam36
2012 JK Wrangler 

thanks alot guys for all the ideas! theres alot of good suggestions ill keep in mind
cam36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 10:25 PM   #26
cam36
2012 JK Wrangler 

just outta curiosity, has anyone gone to rausch creek?
Unread 07-15-2010, 10:29 PM   #27
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
just outta curiosity, has anyone gone to rausch creek?
Yup. You'll want armor on the entire underbody, at a MINIMUM engine/oilpan skid, tank skid, rockers. After the first trip you'll find out what other armor/skids/plate welded to the bottom of stuff you'll want.

Raush is worth the drive.

Unread 07-15-2010, 10:32 PM   #28
cam36
2012 JK Wrangler 

are there any trails that you can take a stock wrangler on? me and my buddies wanna go we both got stock jeeps...except he has 31's on his
Unread 07-15-2010, 11:46 PM   #29
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
are there any trails that you can take a stock wrangler on? me and my buddies wanna go we both got stock jeeps...except he has 31's on his
Trails range from green to blacks or whatever...greens are very mild. you could even run light light blues

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 11:51 PM   #30
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach06 View Post
Trails range from green to blacks or whatever...greens are very mild. you could even run light light blues
x2... x2... and Zack, I really want an invite to Flatlander's party/wheeling because I want to see your rig as well as Luckrider's up close... and I NEED to see Flatlander's build up close

Tags
tj , wrangler , mod , modification , advice , help , suspension , lift , body lift , bl , tire

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.