Mobil 1 Filter? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Mobil 1 Filter?

8.8 Swap Kit w/ TRUSS for Jeeps~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 01-03-2006, 11:43 AM   #1
Ivan
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Mobil 1 Filter?

Having a hard time tracking down the part number (Mobil's part number) for Mobil 1's oil filter for a 2001 Jeep Wrangler (4.0 of course).

Any one know the number or where to get it?????

[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32021"][COLOR="Blue"]Blue Jeep Club Member #228[/color][/URL][/CENTER]
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2006, 11:55 AM   #2
Difranco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan
Having a hard time tracking down the part number (Mobil's part number) for Mobil 1's oil filter for a 2001 Jeep Wrangler (4.0 of course).

Any one know the number or where to get it?????
Current Vehicle:
Year: 2001
Make: Jeep
Model: Wrangler
Engine Type: 6cyl. 4.0Liter Power-Tech

Filter matches for the vehicle you selected:

Mobil 1 Model M1-204

Other options

Fram Model PH16 <------ BAD CHOICE

Purolator Model L14670

Purolator Model PL14670

source: http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...Care_Home.aspx
Orange Jeep Club Member #13--Metalhead Jeep Club Member #13--Poseur Jeep Club Member #13
Gun Control: Means never having to say "I missed you!"

FOR SALE: OE Rubicon Shocks / OE Rear Bumper / OE 3rd Brake light / OE Front Trackbar / OE Rear Trackbar -- PM for details and make your best offer.
Difranco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2006, 12:03 PM   #3
Rusty the Scoob

A filter for a Ford 5.0 (Fram PH8A or equivalent) is larger but bolts right up... extra filtration surface for free!
2001 TJ Sport 2" coil lift, 31" TrXus, swapped in 3.73s, ORFab cage, Aussie front locker, A to Z Fab rocker skids, JeepMedic Oil Pan Skid, JeepMedic LCA skids, Alloy USA D30 Seals, Warn Diff Skids, Cobra 75wx CB, Jeeperman prototype front bumper, 9.5ti, custom rear bumper, Rokmen frame tie-in kit.
Rusty the Scoob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2006, 12:06 PM   #4
Andy1100

Ok, you got me......... reeled me in.
Why is the FRAM PH-16 a bad choice????
I've been using it on mine since day 1, now with 77,000 miles on it, it runs great and uses absolutely ZERO oil.
Unread 01-03-2006, 12:12 PM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Fram was bought out by Allied Signal years ago and since then, their quality has taken a big nose dive. The couple oil filter tests I've seen have all pretty much said the same thing, that Fram's filters had the worst quality and the most problems with leaky anti-drainback valves.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2006, 12:12 PM   #6
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Fram is no good since they were bought out.

I use the M1-204

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2006, 12:14 PM   #7
Ivan
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Difranco

Filter matches for the vehicle you selected:

Mobil 1 Model M1-204

Other options

Fram Model PH16 <------ BAD CHOICE

Purolator Model L14670

Purolator Model PL14670

source: http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...Care_Home.aspx
Thanks Difranco!
I looked all over the Mobil 1 site (I thought) and could not find any info on filters for specific autos.
[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32021"][COLOR="Blue"]Blue Jeep Club Member #228[/color][/URL][/CENTER]
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2006, 12:14 PM   #8
Andy1100

Hmmm thanks for the info. Guess I'll switch up filters!
Unread 01-03-2006, 12:41 PM   #9
Difranco

The best filters are the Pureolator filters especially their premium filter the "PureOne" (about $5.50 here) which is half the cost of the K&N ($12 to $15) or the Mobile 1 ($8 - 11).

When I first bought my TJ in August of '05, I spent the first 3,000 miles researching and reading about oil, filters and greases. I spent more time reading about that then about Jeeps and mods.

So the PureOne and Mobile 1 are what I use at every 6,000. I will be dropping the $40 dollars next month to have my used oil tested by a lab to see if I need to decrease/increase my Oil Change Interval or not.

Sidenote: I did have good results with Castrol Syntec in my old Nissan Frontier Crew Cab, after 90,000 miles it didn't burn any oil at all and I was doing oil changes about every 10,000 miles.
Orange Jeep Club Member #13--Metalhead Jeep Club Member #13--Poseur Jeep Club Member #13

FOR SALE: OE Rubicon Shocks / OE Rear Bumper / OE 3rd Brake light / OE Front Trackbar / OE Rear Trackbar -- PM for details and make your best offer.
Unread 01-03-2006, 12:55 PM   #10
Difranco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan
Thanks Difranco!
I looked all over the Mobil 1 site (I thought) and could not find any info on filters for specific autos.
No problem. Their access to that info is not easily found as you have to go thru their oil selection wizard.

Unread 01-03-2006, 01:19 PM   #11
alexb

you can also use a bigger filter M-206

I'm using an oversized filter Mobil M-206 or Purolator PL-30001
alexb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2006, 01:32 PM   #12
numnuts

Jerry Is wright on the fact Fram like to to cater to the wall mart... k mart croud. the filters are natoriuosly getting failures on there anti drainback system, and sence the TJ,S are horizontal to your block, you need a product that has super good antidrainback capabilities. Purolator wether it be PURE ONE, or reg purolator are good so is ac delco, I use the ford filter made by Bosch my self, in my TJ In my opnion Mobil 1, amsoil are hyped up in there marketing, Change your oil on a common bases and use a good rated filter. Hastings. lee maxi, PURE ONE, acdelco. Ford motercraft use to make excellent filters, purolator, wix, BOSCH, These all in my opioion, are good named filters that you dont have to pay 10.00 a pop for.
numnuts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2006, 02:01 PM   #13
Polaris

crap, I've been using Fram for the past few years. What retailers carry the Pureolator, and is the PL-30001 the same size as the PH8A?
ORIGINAL Black Jeep Club Member #34

ThePointbreak.org | Mods and Wheeling pics
Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2006, 02:03 PM   #14
Jeepin' Rock Cl
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I like the Pure One filter for the 5.0L Mustang, fits nicely and extra large filter.
Jeepin' Rock Cl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2006, 02:10 PM   #15
MotownTom

Has anyone actually seen, first hand, an engine getting destroyed because it used a Fram filter? To be honest, I think it's an old wives tale.

I've used Fram filters (Tough Guard) for many, many years and never had any problems.
My '93 Cherokee had 84,000 miles on it when I sold it last March and she ran like a top. I'm using the same Fram filter on the new (in March) Rubi.
I've also used K & N drop in air filters for years with NO problems, although they get a bad rap too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.