Moaning when turning steering wheel?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Moaning when turning steering wheel?!

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 10-20-2005, 08:31 AM   #1
wyldejackyl

Moaning when turning steering wheel?!

My TJ has always done this when it gets cold..now since it's getting cold again, it's doing it again, and loudly. Whenever I turn the steering wheel, I get this low moaning noise, like a dog crying or something. I lubed up the steering shaft and the bushing that holds it right after that u-joint and that's not where the noise is coming from. It appears to be coming from someplace in the column, like right behind the wheel. There's no adverse effects other than that noise, but it's annoying me. I'm tempted just to shoot some white lithium back there and see what happens. I'm not sure how to take the column apart either to get at the internals..

anyone else ever heard of this happening before?

55/100W H4 Hella headlamp conversion w/ dual relays
wyldejackyl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2005, 08:35 AM   #2
BEANS

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Can you hear the noise when you turn the wheel with the engine off?
JSK QUICK DISCONNECTS THAT I'LL NEVER DISCONNECT
LIMITED SLIP WITH 4.11'S FRONT AND BACK
S.Y.E
7'6" SNOWAY POLY PLOW
Elect Radiator fan on a Delta control
Borla Header, Catback Exhaust By Volant 304SS
BEANS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2005, 08:58 AM   #3
wyldejackyl

I haven't tried that as it's almost impossible to do w/o power steering. I believe I would though..
Unread 10-20-2005, 09:10 AM   #4
Jeepin' Rock Cl
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldejackyl
I haven't tried that as it's almost impossible to do w/o power steering. I believe I would though..

Lift the front wheels in the air.
Jeepin' Rock Cl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2005, 09:24 AM   #5
freakyone

Check you power steering fluid. My steering box has a slow leak & I hear this kinda noise when the fliud is low while turning the wheel.

[URL=http://www.freakyone.net]http://www.freakyone.net[/URL]
freakyone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2005, 09:28 AM   #6
BEANS

2001 TJ Wrangler 

The reason is to eliminate your power steering pump and box.
If you don't get the noise, it's your power steering. I have driven vehicles with the same noise. The fluid is low or the pump is going south.
JSK QUICK DISCONNECTS THAT I'LL NEVER DISCONNECT
LIMITED SLIP WITH 4.11'S FRONT AND BACK
S.Y.E
7'6" SNOWAY POLY PLOW
Elect Radiator fan on a Delta control
Borla Header, Catback Exhaust By Volant 304SS
BEANS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2005, 09:40 AM   #7
csmark
2002 TJ Wrangler 

This may seem over simplified but is worth a shot, i've had a similar problem. Make sure you've checked the level of your power steering fluid, as it contracts in the cold and can seem as if you're low. I had a moaning problem and added fluid and it was gone after i topped off.
csmark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2005, 09:41 AM   #8
derek45

check the rubber seal at the firewall, mine squeaks when it's cold.

NRA Life Member
USPSA/IPSC
IDPA
derek45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2005, 10:00 AM   #9
wrangler2002

If your power steering is moaning when the ambient temp is COLD, then i would assume it's probably your pump that is doing the moaning. I would also assume that it's the fluid thatís too thick... and the pump is struggling. The noise is probably the pressure relief valve that is opening. Does it sound like when you turn the steering wheel all the way and push agains the steering stops?

I would flush the fluid and replace it. Not sure what year is your Jeep but for the later model you can replace it with ATF+4. I thing all new Jeeps come with ATF+$ from the factory to address the moaning issue during cold weather. I think a TSB was issued...
wrangler2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2005, 11:30 AM   #10
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Just a shot here, but I'm pretty sure what he is describing is NOT the PS pump.

mine does the exact same thing, and the sound comes from right behind the wheel, (not the engine compartement) and is a rubbing, non-mechanical sound.

I think it is just one of the rubber seals, as it ONLY happens when its cold, and after a turn or two, and a little heat, it stops completely.

I haven't had my top on in a few years, and it definately happens first thing in the morning when it's colder out... in the summer, nothing.

Annoying... but not a problem, so I think I'll just turn the stereo up more.

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...

Last edited by JoonHoss; 10-20-2005 at 01:50 PM..
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2005, 12:00 PM   #11
scottman
2010 JK Wrangler 

You can squirt lube of your choice down into the firewall area from the steering wheel side, this will fix the moaning.
scottman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2005, 12:11 PM   #12
Metal
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Mine has the same noise you described. It's been there since I bought the Jeep new. I haven't figured it out yet. Keep us posted if you come up with anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
Quit overthinking the lockers. Either get real lockers or forget it, 99 percent of everything else is just mental masturbation for the sake of discussion.
Metal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2005, 01:45 PM   #13
wyldejackyl

I don't think it's the pump either. When I hit the steering lock I hear a "psshhh" noise until I release pressure. This is the valve I guess you are talking about. My fluid level is fine, i checked that first. I know what you are saying by raising the wheels off the ground, I'm just saying when I put my ear to the steering column it's louder there than with my head in the engine compartment (with someone else turning the wheel). For a time that little cup/seal thingy that snaps into the firewall was disconnected, and I noticed the noise got a lost more worse/frequent when I snapped it back into how it needed to be. I'm not sure what kinda lube to use on this. WD-40 isn't much of a lube and white lithum will chunk up in the cold, so I might drip some gun oil down there. It's tenacious but watery at the same time it might do the job. I honestly really don't think i'ts the pump. I wanted to know if there was a grommet or something in the column that would cause this noise. I've also heard the term "clockspring" to describe this noise..although I had something like this happen in my vw. I mixed Redline grease with acetone (semi-dissolves it), and squirted it with a syringe and needle behind the wheel and let it drip down the shaft and the acetone evaporated. The noise went away without me having to pay for costly repairs. I haven't tried it yet on the jeep because I figured there was something I was missing. I guess I"ll just lube the hell out of everything I cna get at, but yeah, I really think it's coming from behind the plastic housing of teh column.
Unread 10-20-2005, 02:32 PM   #14
momomike3

^

mine does the same thing. It seems like it is just something rubber going against something plastic. Mine goes away once im out of my neighborhood.... so its not a big deal for me.
momomike3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2005, 02:34 PM   #15
DestructoJr
The Thin Blue Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldejackyl
My TJ has always done this when it gets cold..now since it's getting cold again, it's doing it again, and loudly. Whenever I turn the steering wheel, I get this low moaning noise, like a dog crying or something. I lubed up the steering shaft and the bushing that holds it right after that u-joint and that's not where the noise is coming from. It appears to be coming from someplace in the column, like right behind the wheel. There's no adverse effects other than that noise, but it's annoying me. I'm tempted just to shoot some white lithium back there and see what happens. I'm not sure how to take the column apart either to get at the internals..

anyone else ever heard of this happening before?
yeah my wheel does it when it gets cold too its just the rubber rubbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marneaus
10 because you're awesomely conservative and bash all the liberals. hoorah!
www.offroadoverstock.com

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
--John Stewart Mill--
DestructoJr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.