Moab Preparation - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Moab Preparation

Only 2 Days left to win $3,800 Jeep Parts!Count Down to KOH Sale!Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Reply
Unread 01-30-2015, 01:04 PM   #1
WeezyBlue
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Brunswick OH
Posts: 233
Moab Preparation

I'm planning a trip to Moab this September with some friends. I've never been there, and don't really plan to do any stuff that's too crazy, especially since one of the guys going is driving a lifted F150 ecoboost on 35s. I've been wheeling for a fairly long time, but usually know when to let off the throttle and I've never broken anything on the trail. However, I'm usually less than 100 miles from home. Ohio to Utah is a long way, and I'm driving my Jeep the whole way there and back. Add to that the fact that the terrain is totally different from what I wheel around here and who knows what may happen.

For a brief overview of my Jeep, it's an '05 Rubicon with 60,000 miles on 35" KM2s. 6 speed manual, stock gears. Full size spare. I have a 4" savvy lift in my garage, will be installed this spring and tested out first. Rancho RS9000XL shocks. Currie steering and antirock already installed.

Also adding when installing the lift is an UCF UHC tcase skid with lopro mount and Tom Woods rear shaft. I'm hoping to get RCV front shafts and Factory Ten rear shafts by then as well.

I would then carry the stock front and rear axle shafts as spares, along with the rear driveshaft. A new set of spare ball joints, and wheel bearings. I plan to grab a used alternator and starter along with an assortment of bolts from Davey's Jeeps.

What else should I be looking at for those of you that have made this trek?

__________________
KD8UCX
CURRENT: '05 TJ Rubicon
Past: '06 TJ SE
WeezyBlue is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2015, 01:09 PM   #2
Tonellin
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,362
Serp belt! That would ruin a trip pretty quick
__________________
06 LJ Rubicon
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/lj-rubicon-build-1481013/
Tonellin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2015, 01:15 PM   #3
mclaggan123
jeepaholic
 
mclaggan123's Avatar
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: virgina beach, Va
Posts: 498
Get some u joints, gas and water cans, a way to air up, tire patch kit. And don't forget extra fluids, oil, gear, trans, transfer case, and antifreeze.
__________________
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/lj-owners/

2006 Rubicon unlimited, silver. 5.5" long arm lift. 35" BFG KM2's on 15" black steelies. skidrow steering skid and radiator skid . LOD rear bumper with tire carrier. Flowmaster 44 exhaust. .CB with tuffy Overhead storage . Offroad lights in bumpers front and rear plus 2 more on the winch hoop.
mclaggan123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2015, 01:32 PM   #4
RockyMnt1
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Woodland Park, Co
Posts: 312
Sunglasses and a hat!

Don't spare the water containers. Even in Sept it can get fairly warm. It is arid out there. You loose a bunch of moisture just breathing and that is with no exercise. The rule of thumb is: 1 gal/person/day.

I would also recommend a personal locator beacon (PLB - about $200.00). Yes, I know that you are not wheeling alone (excellent plan), but if you need assistance in a hurry and can't move that is the best way to summon help. Depending on where you are, it can take hours to get to civilization via the trails and cell phones typically don't have good coverage.

Have a GPS available. Get the Charles Wells trail book at www.funtreks.com.
RockyMnt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2015, 01:56 PM   #5
DezertTJ
Phrasing
 
DezertTJ's Avatar
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 5,043
Map of Moab, lots of money, the spare parts you mentioned, and a good attitude if anything breaks. Looks like you're ready
__________________
06 LJ Rubicon: AZ Backcountry LJ Build

Quote:
Iím very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany
DezertTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2015, 02:03 PM   #6
Andy5150
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Palm Harbor, Fl.
Posts: 584
If you could swing it, re-gear to 4.88,s .
Andy5150 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2015, 04:08 PM   #7
armyRN
Web Wheeler
 
armyRN's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Copperas Cove, Texas
Posts: 2,346
As mentioned previously, a way to air down and air your tires back up (and monitor air pressure). You'll be doing a lot of highway travel to get to some of the trails (and then on the return trip back to camp). And with all the money it sounds like you'll be tossing at your Jeep do a gear change (also previously mentioned).

A CB radio is also pretty much a requirement. You'll miss out on a lot of stuff on the trail if you don't have one. Get a reasonably good quality CB radio, and don't skimp on the antenna. And then get the antenna tuned for maximum effectiveness. Sounds like you'll be doing a convoy to Moab; hopefully every vehicle will have a CB.

You might want to plan a down-day where you're not on the trails so you can explore the town and give your vehicles a once-over before hitting the trails again. There's a lot to do in the surrounding area.

Oh; and if a bear does it in the woods, then you might need to too. Work out the logistics ahead of time so you're prepared when the time comes out on the trail (especially if you've got ladies or kids with you). I put a Trasharoo bag on the spare tire of my TJ (they're awesome by the way), and in it I had a folding toilet seat and all the accessories that one would need to accomplish the mission (TP, wet wipes, etc.). You might think it is funny carrying all that stuff, but out on the trail you will be a HERO if/when it is needed.
alaska-yukon-jeep-copy.jpg  
__________________
You can teach manners, but you can't teach class.

Trailer build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/m...hread-1180456/
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2015, 06:04 PM   #8
billytoad631
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: LONG ISLAND, NY
Posts: 70
me and my friends are really serious about planning a trip to moab within the next year or so. from long island NY to moab. I will be saving this thread to look back on for when the time comes

if you can afford it go to 4:56's. driving across country on stock gears will be a lot of strain on the jeep. despite what others say don't go 4:88's with your 6 speed you will sit to high on the freeway. 4:56's are perfect for highway driving (witch you will be doing a lot of lol)
billytoad631 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2015, 07:56 PM   #9
Partsmke
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 390
Moab is a great place to wheel, it is either sandstone with a lot of grip or desert, you don't find a lot of large floating rocks to get over. The trails can be very challenging especially in a short wheel base Jeep TJ(non-Unlimited), fortunately most of the trails have bypasses if the situation becomes too tough. The terrain has a lot of cliffs and can be a little intimidating if you haven't wheeled trails that are like that.
There are 4x4 shops in town along with parts stores with plenty of pieces if you break. I've found the people in those businesses to be great at helping you with your parts needs and they don't take advantage of you. Hauling a ton of extra parts and fluids will only drag you mileage down and take up room. Make sure that you have done meticulous inspecting and servicing, the long trip will be tougher than the trails. Have a great time enjoy the scenery it is fabulous - take a lot of pictures.
Partsmke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2015, 10:16 PM   #10
88hatchy
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florida, Colorado
Posts: 1,012
You'll want 4.88:1 gears, it will make a world of difference.

I think a lot of people exaggerate most of the terrain there. There are some VERY challenging trails, for sure, but most of the "difficult" trails can be driven with 33" tires (or smaller). I've personally driven a few "difficult" trails on 31" tires and a single locker.
__________________
1997 TJ - Current project: Simple build --> LCG, 35s
1988 Civic Hatch - Runs 12's, gets 30 mpg
88hatchy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2015, 11:15 PM   #11
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired
 
Knuckelhead's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 16,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyBlue View Post

What else should I be looking at for those of you that have made this trek?
Pack what you would normally would for a remote trail. Everyone will help you in a time of need, but nobody wants to give up their spares and goods to someone who didn't come prepared.



Try to go to the top of the rim, its a bit unnerving going up. I'm sure some of the people on the trail will give you some help and direction.
__________________
TSB Information: http://www.automd.com/tsb/jeep_m/wrangler_mm/2000_y/
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 02:13 AM   #12
WeezyBlue
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Brunswick OH
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellin View Post
Serp belt! That would ruin a trip pretty quick
Hadn't thought of that one. Good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaggan123 View Post
Get some u joints, gas and water cans, a way to air up, tire patch kit. And don't forget extra fluids, oil, gear, trans, transfer case, and antifreeze.
All fluids for sure. I just completely flushed my coolant system. I am still undecided on how to handle the air situation, but it will need addressed. I figured one or two spare ujoints of each applicable size. I just installed an OR-Fab tire carrier but didn't get the one that can hold jerry cans because I didn't want to kill my departure and I think it looks goofy. I was going to take a 5 gallon water cooler like the Gatorade branded ones they use at football games. Is gas really going to be an issue out there? If so I'll strap a couple cans in the bed of my buddy's truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMnt1 View Post
I would also recommend a personal locator beacon (PLB - about $200.00). Yes, I know that you are not wheeling alone (excellent plan), but if you need assistance in a hurry and can't move that is the best way to summon help. Depending on where you are, it can take hours to get to civilization via the trails and cell phones typically don't have good coverage.

Have a GPS available. Get the Charles Wells trail book at www.funtreks.com.
I have an technician class FCC license, that was my plan for emergency contact, but I don't have a radio yet. I was going to pick up an FT2900R but it's sort of down the list of to-dos. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to carry my ancient Magellan GPS with it's offroad mapping function or get a receiver/transmitter dongle and hook it directly to my MacBook Pro. I'm a bit of a nerd and the latter sounds more fun.
I'm currently building an amazon shopping list of things to get in prep, and that book is on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezertTJ View Post
Map of Moab, lots of money, the spare parts you mentioned, and a good attitude if anything breaks. Looks like you're ready
Should I get a map ahead of time? I was under the impression the visitor center(s) there would have the most up to date and useful maps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy5150 View Post
If you could swing it, re-gear to 4.88,s .
It's a definite want-to-do but it's not at the top of the list. Depends on how things are looking at work. I'm putting in 84 hours a week right now so I've got the unexpected cash for all this prep. Can't rely on it to continue though. Having adequate spare parts is an absolute must, first and foremost. I don't want to be a drag on anybody else that's going with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
A CB radio is also pretty much a requirement. You'll miss out on a lot of stuff on the trail if you don't have one. Get a reasonably good quality CB radio, and don't skimp on the antenna. And then get the antenna tuned for maximum effectiveness. Sounds like you'll be doing a convoy to Moab; hopefully every vehicle will have a CB.

You might want to plan a down-day where you're not on the trails so you can explore the town and give your vehicles a once-over before hitting the trails again. There's a lot to do in the surrounding area.

Oh; and if a bear does it in the woods, then you might need to too. Work out the logistics ahead of time so you're prepared when the time comes out on the trail (especially if you've got ladies or kids with you). I put a Trasharoo bag on the spare tire of my TJ (they're awesome by the way), and in it I had a folding toilet seat and all the accessories that one would need to accomplish the mission (TP, wet wipes, etc.). You might think it is funny carrying all that stuff, but out on the trail you will be a HERO if/when it is needed.
I have a Uniden mini-cb installed now that recently stopped working. I'm going to hook it up fresh off the battery and see what's up with it. I'm guessing one of my solders gave in. I have a Wilson Flex4 antenna that might need replacing. It got beat up pretty good in a parking garage in Ann Arbor last summer. I have an SWR meter I tuned it with. However, when I installed my tire carrier I removed my Arizona Rocky Road mount and have yet to reinstall the antenna. The OR-Fab carrier comes with a tab but I'm not confident that will be an adequate ground. The whole setup will get thoroughly worked over once the weather warms up. A down day is a good idea, we were going to mostly play it by ear. We're going to take 2 days to get there, spend 5 days there, then 2 days to get back. I have read about the issue with waste, but had forgotten about it until you brought it up. I'll look into that Trasharoo, thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billytoad631 View Post
me and my friends are really serious about planning a trip to moab within the next year or so. from long island NY to moab. I will be saving this thread to look back on for when the time comes

if you can afford it go to 4:56's. driving across country on stock gears will be a lot of strain on the jeep. despite what others say don't go 4:88's with your 6 speed you will sit to high on the freeway. 4:56's are perfect for highway driving (witch you will be doing a lot of lol)
I agree 4.56s would probably be better because the 6 speed is geared so low, but I was planning on 4.88s eventually anyway. I would rather be over geared than under geared, and I already drive slow on the highway, somewhere I rarely go. MPGs just tank above 65 when you're driving a brick wearing a cape. Plus my commute to work is only 1/2 mile. Either way, it's one of the reasons we're planning 2 days each way. Take our time and have a rest halfway.

Your fastest route from Long Beach would take you less than 10 miles away from my starting point, and you'd be about 8 hours out. We're leaving the morning of September 5, you're welcome to crash at my place if you want, sent me a PM or reply if it's a possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partsmke View Post
Moab is a great place to wheel, it is either sandstone with a lot of grip or desert, you don't find a lot of large floating rocks to get over. The trails can be very challenging especially in a short wheel base Jeep TJ(non-Unlimited), fortunately most of the trails have bypasses if the situation becomes too tough. The terrain has a lot of cliffs and can be a little intimidating if you haven't wheeled trails that are like that.
There are 4x4 shops in town along with parts stores with plenty of pieces if you break. I've found the people in those businesses to be great at helping you with your parts needs and they don't take advantage of you. Hauling a ton of extra parts and fluids will only drag you mileage down and take up room. Make sure that you have done meticulous inspecting and servicing, the long trip will be tougher than the trails. Have a great time enjoy the scenery it is fabulous - take a lot of pictures.
That's honestly the thing I'm most concerned about, my wheelbase. I'm not afraid of some heights. I wheel in a local quarry with vertical drops and I fly occasionally for barely-affordable fun. I'm really excited for the scenery. I didn't really know about all the local shops, that's good to know. I'm not too worried about paying more in fuel to carry supplies, I'd rather be safe than sorry, but room is always an issue. I want to be just as prepared on my return trip if something decides to break on the side of the highway in the middle of Nebraska. I just drove my Jeep from Cleveland to Key West this summer. The Jeep didn't miss a beat and was surprisingly comfortable for a long drive. I just wore ear plugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88hatchy View Post
I think a lot of people exaggerate most of the terrain there. There are some VERY challenging trails, for sure, but most of the "difficult" trails can be driven with 33" tires (or smaller). I've personally driven a few "difficult" trails on 31" tires and a single locker.
I've read that before, but it's definitely good to hear it first hand from somebody who's been there (I assume) and I'm sure my friend with the F150 will be happy as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
Pack what you would normally would for a remote trail. Everyone will help you in a time of need, but nobody wants to give up their spares and goods to someone who didn't come prepared.



Try to go to the top of the rim, its a bit unnerving going up. I'm sure some of the people on the trail will give you some help and direction.
Sweet can't wait. I loaned my spare tire once to my friend who sliced a tire on his Jeep with no spare a few years back. I was more than happy to help... but he also screwed up his tie rod. The 100 mile drive home completely ruined my spare.

I have a list of things I must have before I go (that I don't yet have), and things that I'd like to get once the must-haves are taken care of.

Have:
4" Savvy lift w/ trackbars and shocks
1.25" JKS BL
1" Brown Dog MML
Currie steering
Antirock
OPDA retrofit (stripperguy)
35" KM2s on 15x8 MT alloys
OR-Fab carrier
CB
Hand throttle
Freshly rebuilt tcase
Trucklite headlights in the mail! stock RH is full of water...
Aftermarket stereo for tunes
GoPro and D200 for recording awesomeness
Spare wheel bearings
Stock bottle jack and hilift jack
tent/sleeping bags/cooler

Must procure/do:
Front axle shafts, RCV?
Rear axle shafts, Ten Factory?
UCF UHC Tcase skid
UCF lopro mount
Rear Tom Woods driveshaft
Either a front driveshaft rebuild with spare joints or a new Tom Woods shaft, depending on spline engagement after lift.
Spare ball joints
Spare ujoints, at least one per size
4-5 lb ABC extinguisher and Drake mount
First aid kit
Spare alternator/starter (making noise)/serpentine belt?
Spare fluids
GOOD jumper cables (mine are junk)
On board air (or alternatively a cheaper and slower plug in compressor)
Trim and remount my gas tank 1" higher (free, just have to do it)
Assorted spare bolts
A campfire coffee percolator. That's definitely a must. Most important, maybe.

Would like:
Black magic pads
Centric rotors
4.88 regear and rebuild kit
Sliders (haven't settled on brand)
Rokmen rear bumper
Rokmen corner armor
TNT Guardian front bumper
2 meter radio
Winch (there is one on the F150, however.)
Auxiliary lighting
MCE fenders (I think. Not 100% sold on them yet)
Fix my cruise control ( although I drove to FL without it - not bad)
Awesome local craft beers along the way (since I heard buying in UT is terrible)
Jeepforum lifetime membership

With all this gear in the back on a trip, how do you guys tie it down? I keep looking for cargo nets that strap to the floor or at the least flat across the surface of the tub and I find nothing. I would like to have everything easily accessible but firmly strapped down.

Anybody have more detailed info on camping in the area? I was discussing renting a house with my friends but some of them want to camp. I love camping, but I was thinking camping for a week straight might be rough. Any good local camp grounds with decent showering facilities? How busy are the public camping areas in September? Suggestions?

Good local eats? I'm a sucker for a fantastic burger
__________________
KD8UCX
CURRENT: '05 TJ Rubicon
Past: '06 TJ SE
WeezyBlue is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 06:05 AM   #13
BYuen
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: , Arkansas
Posts: 4,698
Great suggestions above. When my family went in 2007, we rented a satellite phone so we could communicate back into town to the people who didn't go on the trail with us. That was a nice ability and it wasn't that expensive. Bring plenty of water too, as mentioned above. With the dry air and high altitude, it really sucks the water out of you.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 07:07 AM   #14
88hatchy
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florida, Colorado
Posts: 1,012
The F-150 is going to have a tough time on anything more the "moderate" trails.

I would return those fancy headlight and put that money towards a re-gear.
__________________
1997 TJ - Current project: Simple build --> LCG, 35s
1988 Civic Hatch - Runs 12's, gets 30 mpg
88hatchy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 07:53 AM   #15
armyRN
Web Wheeler
 
armyRN's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Copperas Cove, Texas
Posts: 2,346
There's a KOA campground on the other side of town. When I went out there for the Easter Jeep Safari I stayed there. I think they (and everybody else) raised their prices for the EJS, but the restrooms were EXTREMELY nice (thank goodness as my wife isn't really a camper, and I had our two daughters with us too). If you can get hold of the paper they put out for the EJT it describes all the trails and tells all about camping and such in the area (even if it's last year's edition). It's like a huge magazine actually - pretty much will have all the answers to your questions about Moab.
__________________
You can teach manners, but you can't teach class.

Trailer build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/m...hread-1180456/
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.