Missing Backfire at every startup - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Missing Backfire at every startup

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-28-2014, 07:54 PM   #1
ssgpate
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Missing Backfire at every startup

Hello, I have a 1997 Jeep Wrangler recently purchased. Every time I start the vehicle about 15 seconds later it starts missing or backfiring and after about 4-6 seconds clears right up and doesn't do it again until the next startup. If you put it to the floor it will go right through themissing but I should not have to do that. It misses hot or cold it does not matter. I have replaced the following parts with no change to the situation.

The Jeep runs great other then that one issue at startup. at this point I need some interference to figure this out as I am running out of parts to replace. I didn't mind buying the parts anyhow just so I will have all new parts but at this point im tired of spending money. Any help is much appreciated.

Rear O2 sensor
New PCU
MAP sensor
IAC Motor
TPS
Plugs
Wires
Rotary button
Distributor cap

ssgpate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2014, 08:06 PM   #2
chevy2169
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Wires plugged in incorrect firing order? Bad distributor timing?
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipsh**s.
chevy2169 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2014, 08:24 PM   #3
SpaceWrangler
Gnarly Adventurer

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Location: Where the Girls Dance Different With Familiar Grace
Mine has done that for years. Just let it warm up a minute.

My Epic Five-Week Cross-Country Jeep Safari
SpaceWrangler is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2014, 08:43 PM   #4
ssgpate
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy2169 View Post
Wires plugged in incorrect firing order? Bad distributor timing?
Yes they are, other then the few seconds at startup it runs perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceWrangler View Post
I know man but that is annoying and there has got to be a reason for this stumble.
Unread 11-28-2014, 09:33 PM   #5
SpaceWrangler
Gnarly Adventurer

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Location: Where the Girls Dance Different With Familiar Grace
The issue might be low fuel pressure at startup, resulting from [partial] fuel rail leakdown overnight, back into the tank.

Cycle the ignition switch a couple times to "prime" the fuel system and see how she likes it.

My Epic Five-Week Cross-Country Jeep Safari
SpaceWrangler is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2014, 04:24 AM   #6
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

It's happened to mine before. It's a failed heater in the upstream O2 sensor.

Unplug the sensor, the connector is clipped to the intake manifold near the firewall. If you find the problem doesn't occur with the sensor unplugged, replace the sensor. If it were to still happen with the sensor unplugged the sensor would not be the cause.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2014, 07:47 AM   #7
ssgpate
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Jeep View Post
It's happened to mine before. It's a failed heater in the upstream O2 sensor.

Unplug the sensor, the connector is clipped to the intake manifold near the firewall. If you find the problem doesn't occur with the sensor unplugged, replace the sensor. If it were to still happen with the sensor unplugged the sensor would not be the cause.
Would that matter if the vehicle is warm? mine does it hot or cold. I think the front o2 is he only sensor I have not replaced.
Unread 11-29-2014, 05:55 PM   #8
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Depends how bad the heater element has gone and just how cold it gets between starts.
Disconnecting the sensor is a free and easy way of finding out if it's the cause of your problems.

Sent from my B15 using JeepForum

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Unread 12-10-2014, 07:06 PM   #9
ssgpate
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Johnny Jeep thanks you were right it was a failed upstream o2 sensor, the Jeep has not missed since I replaced it. Thanks
Unread 12-11-2014, 04:46 AM   #10
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the update. It helps if threads come to a conclusion when they are found by a search.

Unread 12-12-2014, 01:28 AM   #11
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceWrangler
Huh? This mindset doesn't make any sense to me? Why would you instruct someone to just ignore a problem when they clearly asked for help with fixing it?

PO I'm glad you got it fixed!

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
oakmckinley is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2014, 11:59 AM   #12
ssgpate
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm a tech Advisor on Modded Mustangs, and I would never give advice to a person and say deal with it I have been for years. There is always a solution to every problem you just have to be willing to dig in the weeds.

Although I was optimistic about the resolution I proceeded with the install anyhow. It doesn't make sense why it would buck like that because I thought the PCU was in open loop until it warmed up and bypassed the front o2 sensor.

Either way she is fixed and I appreciate the advice.

Spacewrangler my advice to you would be change your front o2 sensor and report back to this thread with the outcome.
Unread 12-13-2014, 12:42 PM   #13
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgpate View Post
... It doesn't make sense why it would buck like that because I thought the PCU was in open loop until it warmed up and bypassed the front o2 sensor...
I didn't go into the detail of why these symptoms occur in this thread. Having a look at post #9 in the thread linked below should help it make more sense...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/scan-tool-2855634/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.