2Likes
  • 1 Post By regrebierf
  • 1 Post By hsracer

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-07-2017, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
hsracer

Misfire on left turns

Hi All,

Not new to the forum, but forgot my old username.

I have a '97 TJ SE with 130k miles that I am having a peculiar issue with. It has developed a misfire/hesitation, but only in left turns. It only starts doing it after a few minutes of driving after it has warmed up. Gentle left turns, hard left turns, doesn't really seem to matter, but it is only in left turns. It runs beautifully in right handers and going straight. That being said, it generally only happens in 3rd gear or higher. I recently replaced the exhaust manifold, but that is the only major work that I have ever done on it (~5 years). So far I have replaced the spark plugs, spark plug leads, distributor cap, and distributor rotor. I also noticed that the throttle body return spring was broken and replaced that. Other than that, I really have no idea where to start. Any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-07-2017, 01:56 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Check for frayed wiring next to the steering shaft that passes down through the driver's side of the engine compartment. Especially next to the little u-joint on the steering shaft.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-10-2017, 11:06 AM
regrebierf
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I had a similar issue in turns and it ended up being the wiring bundle to the TPS / IAT. I took the tape off (it was old and stiff) and let the wires stretch a bit and re-taped it and there was no issue. I think there might have been some wear in the wires and taking off the tape and moving them around a bit either gave better contact or seated them in the connector better or fixed a spot where the wire might have been grounding out. Not sure.

I found it by turning the engine on and CAREFULLY wiggling all the wires in the engine bay. Listen and watch how the engine responds when you wiggle a certain wire or connector. Wiggle them around the back of the engine bay, near any point where they could contact metal and ground out, and also near the connectors. Don't wiggle the crap out of them and break em. Don't get your hand chopped off on the fan. Don't tear a finger off on the belt. Just be careful and this is a great way to narrow stuff down.

Also, what Jerry said. Frays are a sure sign. He may have been the one who helped my find my wiring issue a couple of months ago. If that fails, try my method and repost.

Good luck!
jefflayton likes this.

1998 Moss Green Pearl TJ Sahara "Jeffrey"
Boy Scout Jeeper #127
Eagle Scout Jeeper #147

post #4 of 7 Old 08-11-2017, 08:02 AM
JeffBowser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yup, running down through there is the IAC, TPS, CPS, and O2 sensor wires. I have had the exhaust burn through both my O2 and CPS sensor wiring. Possible you have a bare wire making an intermittent ground contact against the steering shaft or exhaust.....
post #5 of 7 Old 08-12-2017, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
hsracer

Thanks for the idea guys. I spent a while crawling around the engine looking for anything that could be catching on the steering shaft, but didn't find anything. When I get home on Monday I will have to start checking all of the wires in the engine bay. Thanks again!
post #6 of 7 Old 08-17-2017, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
hsracer

Fixed it! The O2 sensor cable had come unhooked and was resting on the drive shaft. When in left turns the the drive shaft would push into the exposed wires and was causing a short. Replaced the O2 sensor and the misfire/hesitation went away
Jerry Bransford likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-17-2017, 04:59 PM
regrebierf
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Awesome news!! Pretty satisfying to find the problem and resolve it yourself, right?! ???

1998 Moss Green Pearl TJ Sahara "Jeffrey"
Boy Scout Jeeper #127
Eagle Scout Jeeper #147

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.