Mirrors for when doors are off - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Mirrors for when doors are off

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 11-24-2006, 06:01 PM   #1
solbergg

Mirrors for when doors are off

I'm making a christmas wish list at the moment, and I'm trying to find some items that cost less than $100. I will eventually want to ride with no doors when it gets warm again, but I heard you legally have to have side view mirrors installed when you do it. So, does anyone have recommendations on cheap, convenient mirrors that also look decent?

solbergg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2006, 06:11 PM   #2
Beefstew
Jub Jub

2006 TJ Wrangler 

lol, waste of money... ive been stopped four times with out the mirrors, its illegal if there not on and i dont even think the cops noticed... concerning safety... the wrangler doesn have that many blind spots, its not hard to tell whats around you if your cruzin around with out a top and doors... imo there a waste of money..., but if some ones ginna buy em for ya by all means get em... quadretec has a small variety of mirrors to choose from.
Beefstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2006, 06:15 PM   #3
Jim Shanks
2001 TJ Wrangler 

They're not very cheap, but $50 I think for the Quick Mirror 2, In Iowa you only "need" one so I just bought one for the drivers side. I've been pretty happy with it.

Jim
Jim Shanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2006, 06:16 PM   #4
stogie25
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You can buy mirror relocation brackets and reuse your mirrors. These brackets only work with my stock '97 mirrors. I scrounged a set of new mirrors that I bolted to my hard doors so I wouldn't have to change them twice a year.
http://www.rockcrawler.com/techrepor...rors/index.htm
97 Black TJ (one owner), BFG KM2 35s, 4.7L Stroker, ARB's, Dana60 rear, Dana30HP Front Warn manual hub conversion, 6 inch mostly Tera long arm lift. Rhino lined tub. Allied Rock 8 beadlocks. Tera-Low 4:1. Sanden OBA. Sniperfab tube fenders.

My Build Thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m.../#post12717920
stogie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2006, 06:46 PM   #5
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stogie25
You can buy mirror relocation brackets and reuse your mirrors. These brackets only work with my stock '97 mirrors. I scrounged a set of new mirrors that I bolted to my hard doors so I wouldn't have to change them twice a year.
http://www.rockcrawler.com/techrepor...rors/index.htm
Same here, just got the brackets and moved from door to the brackets. $25.00 haven't seen anything cheaper.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2006, 07:20 PM   #6
NEWtoTHEjeepLIF
Web Wheeler

Q-tec has some for like $35...That is for a whole new mirror setup.
NEWtoTHEjeepLIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2006, 07:21 PM   #7
steveinmedford
2014 KL Cherokee 

I use long stem Harley-Davidson mirrors. They fit right into the door hinges. easy on/easy off.

$20 each. Maybe cheaper on e-bay.
Unread 11-24-2006, 07:25 PM   #8
waketek

Everything I have found in the Florida state statutes says you only need one rearview mirror unless your rear window is covered (i.e. large trucks). Here's two links that I believe confirm it...

Quote:
"Every vehicle, operated singly or when towing any other vehicle, shall be equipped with a mirror..." -- 316.294
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/...316/Sec294.HTM

Quote:
"(2) A person shall not operate any motor vehicle upon any public highway, road, or street, on which vehicle the rear window is composed of, covered by, or treated with any material which has the effect of making the window nontransparent, unless the vehicle is equipped with side mirrors on both sides that meet the requirements of s. 316.294." -- 316.2954
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/...16/Sec2954.HTM

Oh, and here's a link on some "budget mirrors" with parts from Pep-boys on 4x4xplor.com:

http://www.4x4xplor.com/doorless-mirror.html

Last edited by waketek; 11-24-2006 at 07:43 PM..
waketek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2006, 07:28 PM   #9
NewLaw83
2004 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepit.com/

http://www.jeepit.com/images/2003_br...e_03_model.jpg

these are what i have from jeepit.com. you get the brackets from them which fit on your door hinge and then you can go to autozone and get 6" convex mirrors ( i actually like these better than the mirrors that are on the door). it only takes a minute to put these babies on. Im extremely happy with it. I didnt want to do the mirror relocation brackets because the door would hit the mirror out of place if opened wide enough. it also only cost me a little over $30 for everything.

Sam
NewLaw83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2006, 07:30 PM   #10
solbergg

So we arent required to have sideview mirrors in Florida unless we dont have a clear rearview? That's awesome!
solbergg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2006, 08:05 PM   #11
spd76
2007 JK Wrangler 

I bought the relocation brackets from quadratec right after I bought my jeep. I like having the side mirrors on regardless if it's illegal or not.
#56 of the Low Output 4Cyl. Jeep Club
spd76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2006, 08:12 PM   #12
wrnglrguy
2008 JK Wrangler 

Need to check with your state about "mirror laws". I have run my Jeep in 4 different states with no doors/no side mirrors. I have passed many cops, even driven along side of them and been next to them at stop lights. Maybe it wasn't worth their trouble, but I was never pulled over. I have never actually heard of anyone getting a ticket for this. I am sure someone will post on here that they have, but I think it is rare. With the top off/down, and doors off, I think side mirrors are pointless anyways. Just turn your head and look to see if the coast is clear (that's actually what your taught to do anyways in drivers-ed, but people get lazy over time). Most states only require a rear view mirror unless your rear view is obstructed, ie, a cargo truck, or something similiar.

Most people use side mirrors incorrectly anyways. Most use them to look back behind their vehicle, when they should be used to look along the side of their vehicle and in the lanes to the side, taking away "blind spots".
wrnglrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2006, 10:12 PM   #13
Zice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I really hate the looks of my side mirrors, and most of the time they are either dirty, covered in mud or not positioned correctly to see anything because of my door pushing them around... If it werent illegal I would do away with them... and I just might anyhow.
Zice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 12:42 AM   #14
toomanytoys

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveinmedford
I use long stem Harley-Davidson mirrors. They fit right into the door hinges. easy on/easy off.

$20 each. Maybe cheaper on e-bay.

What he said. I keep one in my console for my random decisions to take my doors off. On the note of relocation brackets. Have any of you guys run into the welds breaking on the nuts behind the w/s frame? I have a pair of the brackets, but worried about the welds breaking, plus I didn't want to bugger up the paint on the bolt heads.
toomanytoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 02:28 AM   #15
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

i got some brackets from JCW that also hold spot lights. they were like $50 or so, and they used my stock mirrors

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.

Last edited by RnEmOvr; 07-31-2008 at 02:03 PM..
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.