Mirror relocator brackets... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Mirror relocator brackets...

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 08-04-2010, 02:05 PM   #1
Foofighter23
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Mirror relocator brackets...

I just bought mirror brackets so I can take my doors off and drive legal. They mount to the lower two torx screws on the windshield side, and then use the existing mirror hardware.

I'm concerned about damaging the paint where they attach, should some tape go in between the brackets and the body?

Also, I've read here that the original screws are hard to remove, should I use anti-sieze when putting them back in, or go with loc-tite?

Foofighter23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 02:08 PM   #2
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well, you're probably going to damage the paint no matter what you do. If anything, you can get some of that backing material they put behind rocker panels...that would be decent protection, and it wouldn't let water pool in between the two pieces of metal and rust both of them - which is what tape would allow.

Use neither anti-seize nor threadlocker. Get a torque specification on the original hardware and duplicate it. Or, just snug them down and check them again several times in the next few weeks.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
jerseyjeep22
1997 TJ Wrangler 

yeah mine were a real pain in the ***. I ended up scratching some of the paint, stripping two of them. Had to drill them out and use an ez out. Not a great experience, although it was worth it in the end of course lol
jerseyjeep22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 02:14 PM   #4
Foofighter23
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Gotcha, never thought about the moisture issue. I'm going to do it when I have a decent amount of time to spare just in case I need to drill them out as well...

Thanks for the info.
Unread 08-04-2010, 04:57 PM   #5
jerseyjeep22
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foofighter23 View Post
Gotcha, never thought about the moisture issue. I'm going to do it when I have a decent amount of time to spare just in case I need to drill them out as well...

Thanks for the info.
definitly don't do it in a rush, and take your time. Since they painted over the torx, sometimes it seems like the actual size is a little too big. If it seems like the size that fits has a little too much wiggle room, take the next size up, and gently tap it in with a hammer.
jerseyjeep22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 05:06 PM   #6
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

use some RTV between the two.
Unread 08-04-2010, 05:19 PM   #7
JeSimmers
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foofighter23 View Post
I just bought mirror brackets so I can take my doors off and drive legal.
Not legal in PA to run without doors unless one drives a CJ, as doors were an option when purchasing the Jeep. With that said, most cops wont bust your balls over it though. This is no joke, my friend got pulled over last week 2 times! Once in Bloomsburg and once in Danville.
Red Jeep Club Member #454
JeSimmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 05:24 PM   #8
TurtleMacLeod
2006 LJ Wrangler 

^^^Yeah, we were just talking about this at kNOwwheretojeep's show in York, PA this past Saturday. . . seems that a couple of guys have tried to challenge it, but to no avail.

It's really easy to get them out . . . took a few minutes on my TJ and on my LJ. The damned JK was more of a PITA, but that's typical. Should only take you about fifteen minutes to do both sides. I want to say that it's a number 27 Torx. I used some double-sided tape that has a thin layer of foam in it, helps prevent damage to the paint. I had my TJ set up like that for about four years with no problems at all, and I just used it again on my LJ to mount the CJ-style mirrors.

RED JEEP CLUB #602
TurtleMacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 05:27 PM   #9
Foofighter23
2005 TJ Wrangler 

No kidding? I was going to ask my brother in law, as he's a cop in Bethlehem. Anything that seems fun, I guess...

I'm going to do it anyways :P
Unread 08-04-2010, 05:38 PM   #10
JeSimmers
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have been lucky I guess as I run without doors ALL of the time in the summer...even in my dress clothes and my 50 mile round-trip commute. Now I'm a little nervous as it appears the local cops have nothing better/more important to do than pull people over for things like this...what a joke.
Red Jeep Club Member #454
JeSimmers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mirror , relocation , bracket , torx , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.