Is mine a long arm or not? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Is mine a long arm or not?

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 10-16-2004, 04:10 PM   #1
BigTimber
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Is mine a long arm or not?

I bought a '01 TJ with a 4.5 Rubicon Express lift. I am always asked if it is a "Long Arm" lift. How can I tell?

BigTimber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2004, 04:15 PM   #2
red99tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimber
I bought a '01 TJ with a 4.5 Rubicon Express lift. I am always asked if it is a "Long Arm" lift. How can I tell?

youll have real long control arms, hence the name long arm
Unread 10-16-2004, 04:40 PM   #3
BigTimber
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Do long arms use the stock mounts or different frame mounts? Mine use the stock mounts.
Unread 10-16-2004, 04:41 PM   #4
RockRunner85
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Basically if the control arms are short, around 16" or so, and attach to the frame with factory looking mounts its the short arm lift. If they are long and go to a new t-case skid with a crap load of bolts its the long arm kit.

RE 3.5 SuperFlex & Front Trackbar / JKS 1.25" BL & MML / 35x12.5 MTRs on 15x8 AR-23s / Currie Anti-Rock / Jeeperman Bumpers / Rokmen Sliders / York OBA / Harbor Freight 8k Winch
RockRunner85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2004, 04:41 PM   #5
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

Quote:
Mine use the stock mounts.
then yours is the normal short arm kit...the long arms will bolt to an aftermarket skid plate...

Greg
BigWaylon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2004, 04:43 PM   #6
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

here's a long arm kit on an Unlimited:

Greg
BigWaylon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2004, 05:17 PM   #7
BigTimber
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thank You all for the Info. on this. Is there a kit to convert my RE lift to a "Long Arm"?
'01 TJ, 4.0 , Airaid Cold Air intake, Airaid TBS, Optima Blue Top, 32RH Auto Trans w/Deep Pan, D30 ARB 4.88 / D44 ARB 4.88, 4.5" Rubicon Super Flex lift w/SYE, OME shocks, JKS Quicker Disconnects, 35" BF Goodrich M/T km2's, Black steel wheels, Viair 400P, Soft Top w/tinted windows, Viper Alarm, Sirius Satellite Radio, Pioneer w/CD, Amp and 12" Sub, Kickers, Cobra 29 WX-NW-ST C.B., Fire Extinguisher, Hi-Lift jack, Warn 9.5ti winch, LoD front & rear bumper w/tire carrier, LoD rockers, Hella lights.
Unread 10-16-2004, 05:40 PM   #8
ONE JEEPBRO

Quote:
Thank You all for the Info. on this. Is there a kit to convert my RE lift to a "Long Arm"?
yes, go to www.rubiconexpress.com and they have upgrade kits for the long arm system. NOT cheap though, runs around 1,000+ buckaroo's.
[COLOR=red][B]MODS: [/B] [/COLOR] [B]4.5 RE SUPERFLEX / 33inch SSR'S / WARN REAR BUMPER / JEEPERS & CREEPERS T-BODY / J&C DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM / J&C FRONT & REAR DIFF GUARD / WARN XD9000i WINCH & RECOVERY GEAR / ARB BULLBAR / PSC FULL ROLL CAGE / L.E.D TAILLIGHTS / IPF 930 SUPER RALLY LIGHTING / COBRA 75 WX ST CB / POWER TANK PT-10 OBA / TOM WOODS C/V / GARMIN 60CS GPS[/B]
[COLOR=red][B]CURRENT PROJECT:[/B][/COLOR] [B]Nth DEGREE ARMOR INSTALL[/B]
ONE JEEPBRO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2004, 07:42 PM   #9
StealthTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner85
Basically if the control arms are short, around 16" or so, and attach to the frame with factory looking mounts its the short arm lift. If they are long and go to a new t-case skid with a crap load of bolts its the long arm kit.

Mmmmm, what's this then ??

Fred
[b]Misc[/b] - Tera 2wd lo.
[b]Tires[/b] - 35x12.50 MT/R's siped on 15x7 Champion Beadlocks.
[b]Recovery[/b] - Warn XD9000i
StealthTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2004, 07:55 PM   #10
RockRunner85
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthTJ
Mmmmm, what's this then ??

Fred
You got me there. Is that a custom front axle with custom short arms?? Looks like it'd give you a better ride. Want to fill me in?

RE 3.5 SuperFlex & Front Trackbar / JKS 1.25" BL & MML / 35x12.5 MTRs on 15x8 AR-23s / Currie Anti-Rock / Jeeperman Bumpers / Rokmen Sliders / York OBA / Harbor Freight 8k Winch
RockRunner85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2004, 08:09 PM   #11
FlexyTJ

Its a medium length J-arm. Not a true LA though.
Unread 10-16-2004, 09:20 PM   #12
StealthTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner85
You got me there. Is that a custom front axle with custom short arms?? Looks like it'd give you a better ride. Want to fill me in?

Those are the Currie J-Arms, installed on a HP D30 axle. I also have the J-Arms installed on the rear axle.
All the advantages of a "long arm" kit, and none of the disadvantages.
This is considered a "medium arm"....

A *big* problem with the typical LA kit, if you play (wheel) in the big rocks, where clearance is a premimum, is the lose of clearance from those 'ole long arms hanging way down there.
They get hung up all the time, and have been bent on a somewhat regular basis.

What needs to be done, with the control arms, when you lift a Jeep, is to try and get the angle back, as close as possible, to parallel to the ground, when the Jeep is sitting level.
If you go look at a lifted Jeep with stock length arms, you'll see that the logically way to do this would be to raise the end of the arm that's been moved downward. Right ? That would be the axle end. When you lift a Jeep you move the frame up higher from the axle, thus "lowering" the axle end of the control arm, or, looking at it the other way, raising the frame end of the arm.
The logical thing to do is to bring the axle end of the arm back up, towards the frame end.
The LA kits don't do that, as it involves welding and some moderate fabrication ability. So, what they do is raise the frame end of the arm (which is already above the axle end) higher, and then, to try and moderate the angle, they make the control arm long, moving it back to the edge of the xfer case.
Look at the photo (above) of the LA kit that Bigwalon posted, and it'll become obvious what I'm talking about.

Another goal, is to try and have the axle, when it articulates, move more straight up and done, instead of in an arc.
Again, the LA kits do that by lengthing the arms.
The J-Arms do it by the way that they wrap under the axle, mounting on the other end.
Regarding the effective angle of the arm, it doesn't matter how the arm bends nor how deep the bend is. The effective angle is a straigth line drawn between the center of the two mounting points.
Put a straight edge (edge of a piece of paper or something), up to the screen, in the photo that I posted above, and set it such that the straight edge goes from the center of the mounting bolt on the axle, to the center of the mounting bolt on the frame. Notice how little angle is in the arm now.

Fred
[b]Misc[/b] - Tera 2wd lo.
[b]Tires[/b] - 35x12.50 MT/R's siped on 15x7 Champion Beadlocks.
[b]Recovery[/b] - Warn XD9000i
StealthTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2004, 10:19 PM   #13
Stormtrooper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Hey, whats the deal with the weld down the length of the axle tube? Looks like it was made from scratch.

From the looks of it, the J-arm only gives about 5-6" of extra length. Compare this to almost 20" of extra with the long arm. The long arm swings on a 38" or so radius which makes the axle movement more "up and down". Less so with a shorter arm and the same lift.

I've never heard of anyone bending a long arm, but i have beat the crud out of wimpy stamped (stock) control arms. I'm gonig to go out on a limb here and say that the long arms are WAY superior to the J-arm or for that matter any short arm lift. My 2 centz.
Unread 10-16-2004, 10:28 PM   #14
camoTJ

I have seen mulitple long arms bend, so you just have to sleeve then again haha. the thing that looks like it sucks about the currie arms is they, cut down your ground clearance a bunch, I would rather slide on my long arms then get hung up on the front of that j-arm
camoTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2004, 10:30 PM   #15
Broadway
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The only complaint I hear about J-arms is the loss of clearance due to the fact that extend about 2-1/2 to anout 4 1/2" below the axle and are always banging and hanging up on rocks and what not, how ever, because the rocks hit the J-arm at the curve there is hardly any damage to the J-arm There are advantages and disadvantages to both. I would personally opt to make stronger Longarms.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.