Metallic Rattling Noise- worse after installing new muffler! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Metallic Rattling Noise- worse after installing new muffler!

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-28-2014, 04:37 PM   #1
samlancashire
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Metallic Rattling Noise- worse after installing new muffler!

Hey guys,

I drive a '03 TJ with a 2" budget boost. Muffler was getting bad, making all kinds of noises. Replaced it last weekend with a Dynomax SuperTurbo. The heatshield was falling down a bit so I bolted it back up.

One of the noises that I had before that I assumed was the heatshield has become a bit louder and is happening more frequently. It sounds like pieces of metal rolling around inside a tin can. Happens between 1700-2000rpm, whether the wheels are turning or not.

One thing I noticed after my newb muffler install is that the tailpipe is almost touching the rear track bar. I tried to knock the tailpipe against the trackbar with my hand but it was pretty sturdy and I can't see this as being the cause of the noise. Am I wrong? What else could this noise come from?

One more thing that might be pertinent:
Halfway through the muffler install I realized I bought a wrong sized fitting. Didn't feel like going back to Canadian Tire so I left the project over night. I had the skid plate off and was supporting my transmission with a floor jack.
The piece of **** jack drooped over night and let the tranny hang by itself. Nothing seemed damaged and the jeep drives just fine.

samlancashire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2014, 04:42 PM   #2
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Heat shield on catalytic converter? Or the converter itself?

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2014, 04:16 PM   #3
samlancashire
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Heat shield is pinned up fine everywhere. Tried banging on the cat with a rubber mallet and didn't sound like anything was loose inside.

Edit: I've also checked transfer case fluid since my original post and it is good.
Unread 04-29-2014, 04:33 PM   #4
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

When my cat went bad,it only rattled when the Jeep was running.Banging on it didn't produce any noise.It got progressively worse and louder.
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
Yeap its your nuts that giving you the trouble here...... Get the right ones
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2014, 05:48 PM   #5
samlancashire
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
When my cat went bad,it only rattled when the Jeep was running.Banging on it didn't produce any noise.It got progressively worse and louder.
Good to know. Won't cross cat off the list yet.

Broken bits inside the cat is also a good explanation for the noise getting worse after replacing my muffler. I used a sawzall to cut the old muffler out and it definitely shook things up a bit.
Unread 04-29-2014, 06:03 PM   #6
joek81d

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Any contact with your rear shock? Check your exhaust manifold bolts for tightness as well.
Unread 04-29-2014, 07:12 PM   #7
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Get someone to help and rev the engine to make the noise while you go under the jeep and locate it. Sounds like it could be the cat.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2014, 10:08 AM   #8
samlancashire
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Any contact with your rear shock? Check your exhaust manifold bolts for tightness as well.
Will try to get underneath it this weekend and have a look at manifold/flange bolts. Rain in the forecast for next 7 days
Unread 05-03-2014, 04:57 PM   #9
samlancashire
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Update on this: I had a chance to get underneath the jeep today. I'm 99.9% sure it is the two mini cats up at the manifold. They each have a thin layer of metal around them which I guess is a type of a heat shield that is rusting and falling off. If anyone knows what I'm talking about can I just rip these shields off?
Unread 05-03-2014, 07:35 PM   #10
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by samlancashire View Post
Update on this: I had a chance to get underneath the jeep today. I'm 99.9% sure it is the two mini cats up at the manifold. They each have a thin layer of metal around them which I guess is a type of a heat shield that is rusting and falling off. If anyone knows what I'm talking about can I just rip these shields off?
If it is just the shields, you can remove them. My replacement mini cats and y-pipe did not come with the oem style shields. Been fine for 70k miles now...
Unread 05-11-2014, 04:03 PM   #11
samlancashire
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Removed one of the shields. Noise went away but I took it up the road and back (~10km) and my engine light came on- P0122 Throttle Position Sensor A Circuit Low Input.
I felt my hand around the two cats after my trip, and the air is quite a bit warmer outside the one without the shield now, and there are fuel lines close by that felt pretty hot (I could keep my hand on them but they were quite hot). This OBD code seems totally unrelated, but is it possiblly to do with warm fuel...?
Unread 05-11-2014, 07:34 PM   #12
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Just a coincidence. The TPS is in the throttle body and is not directly exposed to fuel. Also, anything near the cats even with the shield will warm up pretty hot. They'll normally be anywhere from 500-800 degrees.
Unread 05-12-2014, 05:49 PM   #13
samlancashire
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks BYuen. Replaced TPS today, problem solved. Totally coincidental.

Edit: $72 for what I think is just a potentiometer? Damn!
Unread 05-12-2014, 07:00 PM   #14
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Haha I'm assuming you got the Mopar part? That's good though, I wouldn't trust aftermarket when it comes to parts like that. The markup is high. Usually you can find it cheaper online. Only problem is, when you need it you often need it now and can't wait for it to be shipped. Also, if you get to know the guys well enough at the parts counter on a first name basis, sometimes they'll give you a discount.
Unread 05-13-2014, 06:37 PM   #15
samlancashire
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, Mopar. I'm also in Canada, car parts and certain things just seem to be more expensive! Honestly I could've ordered one off eBay for a quarter of the price. The engine light just bothers the hell out of me.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.