MetalCloak Clearance Diagrams... MetalCloak vs. Others - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > MetalCloak Clearance Diagrams... MetalCloak vs. Others

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 08-26-2009, 04:45 AM   #46
OrangeLJ
Va Beach
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'm running them with 2.5" suspension lift and 35 MTRs - no complaints and huge fan here -

OrangeLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2009, 06:29 AM   #47
JOXJ87
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeLJ View Post
I'm running them with 2.5" suspension lift and 35 MTRs - no complaints and huge fan here -
Checked out the profile pics. great looking jeep. It looks like the 35s could be 37s with the fronts!! anything rub when you get flexed out? This is the exact setup i want but i am leaning towards RC 2.5 and i was thinking a 1" body lift but if it clears really well with just the 2.5 i may rethink the body lift or size of lift. Thanks.

Cole
JOXJ87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2009, 07:22 AM   #48
bebout
2006 TJ Wrangler 

OrangeLJ, you got a head on shot?
bebout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2009, 07:27 AM   #49
OrangeLJ
Va Beach
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have a bunch of pics on my facebook account (same tag "orangelj") that are full size - tried to put some here but did not have time to scale them down for post. If your on facebook you can check them out there to include head-on shots or email me and I'll email pictures to ya.

Cole, I get zero rub and have flexed her out every which way to Sunday. The only thing keeping me on 35's vs. bigger is the 4.88 limitation on my front D30 (gears) and braking performance (I have a VANCO kit on order, forever now, and am hoping to get it soon). I have thought about doing a 1" BL a few times but only to facilitate putting a belly-up in and raising my gas tank - at the end of the day I don't need the lift and have not been inclined to add additional, to date, for just those purposes.
OrangeLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2009, 08:39 AM   #50
matsonian
MetalCloak'd

1977 CJ7 

Quote:
I have a bunch of pics on my facebook account (same tag "orangelj") that are full size - tried to put some here but did not have time to scale them down for post. If your on facebook you can check them out there to include head-on shots or email me and I'll email pictures to ya.
You can also see OrangeLJ's pics on the MetalCloak fan page on Facebook...

Login | Facebook

Check it out and become a fan!

For quotes or customer service Click Here

Lots and Lots of Videos: https://www.youtube.com/metalcloak

Last edited by matsonian; 08-26-2009 at 02:21 PM..
matsonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2009, 09:49 AM   #51
JOXJ87
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Cole, I get zero rub and have flexed her out every which way to Sunday. The only thing keeping me on 35's vs. bigger is the 4.88 limitation on my front D30 (gears) and braking performance (I have a VANCO kit on order, forever now, and am hoping to get it soon). I have thought about doing a 1" BL a few times but only to facilitate putting a belly-up in and raising my gas tank - at the end of the day I don't need the lift and have not been inclined to add additional, to date, for just those purposes.
That was why i was looking to do a 1" BL now i am thinking 1.5" sus and then do a 1" BL and get the tires the clearance i need. 4.88s and brakes are up there on the list. I am trying to decide right now if i want to do the Rodeo axle in the rear since it has disc brakes already and then beef them up. BUT i have a 4.88 30 and 44 already under my MJ i could swap over with some brackets. From the time i seen these fenders on a mag cover i have wanted them. Cheaper to lift afterwords and low cog. anyways back to the topic at hand.

Cole
JOXJ87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2009, 10:42 AM   #52
Chilly
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I just installed the kit on my LJ with a little help over the phone from Matson and Doug. I agree the kit is not cheap but after researching flat fenders, high line fenders and rock sliders for almost a year I decided this is the best one for trying to get large tires without sacrificing too much COG. The install went smooth and the guys at Metal Cloak are awesome to work with. I have not been able to take my rig off-road yet but will write more and post pics later on this. In my opinion if you're building a show rig buy cheap parts but if you want to buy a rig that you can beat on then suck it up and spend the money on the good gear or pay for a tow home when it breaks on the trail.
Unread 08-27-2009, 11:17 AM   #53
marylandjeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormTrooper05 View Post
I have Metalcloak fenders on my TJ with no lift and 35 inch tires and they do not rub at all. I have a few critiques of the fenders but would certainly buy again.
what are your critiques?

i'd like to see more pictures of these on rigs without the flares.
marylandjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2009, 07:08 PM   #54
StormTrooper05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The fenders (at least the ones I have) rub on my hood. I could prevent this buy pushing the fender mount hole out to the edges of the bolts but then the fenders do not sit flush with my body tub. Also not in the installation instructions, was that I had to cut a tab of the washer fluid container and it will not fit were it was before. Now it sits a little to the rear of factory spot. Also it will not fit under the support bar that attaches to the grill. Another is that on the later year TJ's (mine is a 05) there is a small vacuum cylinder below and forward of the master cylinder. I had to mod the factory bracket and drill two holes in the fenders to install the bracket. The last problem was that after paying $600 for the fenders and $89 for powder coating the two battery trays that come with the fenders come unpainted and were actually rusting in the box when it arrived at my door. I sanded, cleaned with acetone and painted the trays with 3 coat's of flat black Rustoleum Exopy paint.

I have been talking with Metalcloak about all of these issues and they have assured me that they are working to improve their products. I would certainly recommend the fenders over all others. Being a mechanic and in multiple jeep clubs in my area I have had the opportunity to install many other flat fenders and the Metalcloaks are by far the easiest to install and the best built fenders I have seen.
StormTrooper05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2009, 11:43 PM   #55
matsonian
MetalCloak'd

1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormTrooper05 View Post
The fenders (at least the ones I have) rub on my hood. I could prevent this buy pushing the fender mount hole out to the edges of the bolts but then the fenders do not sit flush with my body tub. Also not in the installation instructions, was that I had to cut a tab of the washer fluid container and it will not fit were it was before. Now it sits a little to the rear of factory spot. Also it will not fit under the support bar that attaches to the grill. Another is that on the later year TJ's (mine is a 05) there is a small vacuum cylinder below and forward of the master cylinder. I had to mod the factory bracket and drill two holes in the fenders to install the bracket. The last problem was that after paying $600 for the fenders and $89 for powder coating the two battery trays that come with the fenders come unpainted and were actually rusting in the box when it arrived at my door. I sanded, cleaned with acetone and painted the trays with 3 coat's of flat black Rustoleum Exopy paint.
Thank you StormTrooper05. We appreciate all the feedback from our customers not only about our products, but about the entire MetalCloak experience. Recommendations, suggestions, and even the rarely reported problem are all looked at as an opportunity to make our products even better.

For instance, we are now shipping our replacement battery and package trays powdercoated, a simple thing and something we could have thought of, but simply were not focused on as part of product development.

Also the best testers of our instructions are the real world environments of our customers. We solicit your feedback and use it to improve the process. Whether it was questions from Chilly or the problems experienced by StormTrooper05, we immediately rework the instructions as needed to better describe every step and the installation of everything from the factory gear to the tiniest bolt. We don't want you to have to be a weekend machinist to enjoy a MetalCloak product.

Our goal is to continue to make the best possible products, and create the best possible experience, but we can only do that with your feedback, so thank you.

Last edited by matsonian; 08-28-2009 at 12:14 AM.. Reason: Fixin a typo... ;-)
Unread 08-28-2009, 12:14 AM   #56
techna
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have been watching this thread and Metal Cloak fenders are in my immediate future. While it may be obvious to others, I just cant quite decide if the fenders on 6thelement's Jeep are equipped with the 4" or 6" flares. Can anybody enlighten me?

Hey Stormtrooper05,
I am just down I-10 (at the loop) from you and would love to take a look at your fenders. Katy is an easy drive for me when you have the time.
techna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2009, 12:24 AM   #57
matsonian
MetalCloak'd

1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by techna View Post
I have been watching this thread and Metal Cloak fenders are in my immediate future. While it may be obvious to others, I just cant quite decide if the fenders on 6thelement's Jeep are equipped with the 4" or 6" flares. Can anybody enlighten me?
Thank you techna. 6thelement is running the 4" flares front and rear.

Unread 08-28-2009, 12:30 AM   #58
matsonian
MetalCloak'd

1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandjeeper View Post
i'd like to see more pictures of these on rigs without the flares.
Here's one from Ryan, a customer who posted his pics on his club website...

You can see the original post here...

ringranchrockers.com • View topic - Shaken it down

Unread 08-28-2009, 12:32 AM   #59
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, I'll bite. I posted doubts about the additional clearance compared to the TnTs I have, and now I see how these work. As for price, they really are not too far from the TnTs, I paid over 600 shipped for mine, and had to drill all the accessory mounting holes myself, as well as clean up the welds and paint the fenders. I understand the TnT fenders have addressed the drilling of the holes but I believe still have bare metal.

After seeing pics of the MetalCloak fenders in action, as it were, I do have one comment:
Cap the open tubes facing to the sides. Preventing rust is a priortiy on my Jeep, and those look like a great place to start cancer. Any area where mud/dirt can collect should be smoothed and closed off from the elements. (IE the point where the sheet metal meets the tubes on the underside got body putty on mine before paint.)

Are the inner fender liners removable? One thing I LOVE about my tube fenders is how easy it is to work on stuff lower on the block. (The TnTs I have have some inner liner, but I believe it's less than the MetalCloak liner length.)

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2009, 02:25 PM   #60
matsonian
MetalCloak'd

1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodyrider View Post
After seeing pics of the MetalCloak fenders in action, as it were, I do have one comment:
Cap the open tubes facing to the sides. Preventing rust is a priortiy on my Jeep, and those look like a great place to start cancer. Any area where mud/dirt can collect should be smoothed and closed off from the elements. (IE the point where the sheet metal meets the tubes on the underside got body putty on mine before paint.)

Are the inner fender liners removable? One thing I LOVE about my tube fenders is how easy it is to work on stuff lower on the block. (The TnTs I have have some inner liner, but I believe it's less than the MetalCloak liner length.)
Boodyrider... thanks for biting!

Have you seen the new models of the fenders? Earlier this year we released a major product upgrade which includes our self centering solid mounting system for the flares. This eliminated the open tubes.

Here is a shot of a Raw Metal system test mounted on a YJ w/ 6" Flares...

Here is a fender without the flare...

As for the inner fender, good question and one that has not come up before. The answer is essentially no. Our inner fender liner fully replaces the stock inner fender while providing that extra clearance needed, and even though it is bolted to the fender, and therefore, seemingly un-boltable, it is also bolted to the replacement battery trays and the front grill and would be difficult, at best, to remove.

Thanks again!

Last edited by matsonian; 10-19-2009 at 04:20 PM..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.