Metal piece found in transmission fluid (pic) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Metal piece found in transmission fluid (pic)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-26-2012, 01:36 PM   #1
Scott2pt0
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Metal piece found in transmission fluid (pic)

I changed my tranny fluid a couple months ago but just finally dumped the old stuff today (pure laziness, I know). When doing so, an inch long piece of metal came out. I've probably put 1,000 miles on the Jeep since I changed the fluid with no noticeable issues, but seeing this thing come out has me a bit freaked out. Any idea as to what this is? Thanks in advance!

Scott2pt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Since its been a couple of months since you changed fluid, is there a remote chance that the piece of metal ended up in what ever you caught/stored the fluid in between then and now?
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
Scott2pt0
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Olson View Post
Since its been a couple of months since you changed fluid, is there a remote chance that the piece of metal ended up in what ever you caught/stored the fluid in between then and now?
Yes, very remote though. The container was just an open tub that has been sitting next to where I park the Jeep in the garage but no one walks on that side of it nor gets in the passenger seat while it's in the garage.

One end of the piece has some damage as if it was broken off something so I'm fairly sure it came out with the fluid.
Unread 05-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #4
BLK00TJ
Creepy Crawler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'm hoping someone just played a cruel, sick joke on you.
BLK00TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2012, 08:14 PM   #5
77351wcj5
2003 TJ Wrangler 

What diameter is it? Does your reverse lockout still work?
77351wcj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2012, 09:39 PM   #6
auburnhunter
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I don't know the links and I have not searched for them, but I have seen three other threads with almost the exact same picture as this. All reported that it came out of the transmission during a fluid change and the pin always looked broken on the end. Hope this helps.
Unread 05-26-2012, 10:24 PM   #7
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnhunter View Post
I don't know the links and I have not searched for them, but I have seen three other threads with almost the exact same picture as this. All reported that it came out of the transmission during a fluid change and the pin always looked broken on the end. Hope this helps.
I was just thinking that..."I've seen this picture before." I do so LOVE transmission mysteries...as long as they're not mine.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 07:08 AM   #8
Scott2pt0
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnhunter View Post
Hmmm, intersting. I did a quick search for "metal piece in transmission fluid" and came up empty but I'll try digging better. Thanks.
Unread 05-27-2012, 07:11 AM   #9
Scott2pt0
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, it is identical to what this guy found. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/me...ssion-1228905/ Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like he came to a conclusion. Crazy.
Unread 05-27-2012, 07:42 AM   #10
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2pt0
Wow, it is identical to what this guy found. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/me...ssion-1228905/ Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like he came to a conclusion. Crazy.
Looks like the locator pin. Use the link in my sig to see a PDF.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #11
n5xl

Is it from your 3550 or is it from an AX-15? Just happened to be glancing at some pics of an AX15 rebuild and saw this and though it looked very similar.

The entire rebuild with pics is here

http://www.4wdmechanix.com/Moses-Ludel-Rebuilds-the-Jeep-AX-15-Transmission,-Part-1-Disassembly-Inspection.html

How the hell a roller bearing could get dislodged from its cage once its installed in this AX15 is beyond me so I'm hesitant to say its a candidate...but it sure looks to be about the right size. I'm really hoping its just the locator pin mentioned.
n5xl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #12
Scott2pt0
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
Looks like the locator pin. Use the link in my sig to see a PDF.
That seems to be right. Thanks. Please forgive the ignorant question, but am I at risk of my tranny falling out? What is the solution I'm looking at?
Unread 05-27-2012, 08:06 AM   #13
cphilip
2010 JK Wrangler 

This is purely a guess... but if it was a locator pin it would probably only serve to line something up during assembly. And probably doesn't serve any purpose after that point.

I recall some Ford Trannys that had a plastic plug or pin that was designed to push out and often was found in the pan later that also did something along these lines and scared people when they found it. But my memory is rather foggy on the specifics.
cphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 08:11 AM   #14
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2pt0

That seems to be right. Thanks. Please forgive the ignorant question, but am I at risk of my tranny falling out? What is the solution I'm looking at?
I'm sorry, but I have no idea what the answers are to those questions. You might try Googling "nv3550 locator pin" and see what turns up.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #15
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphilip
This is purely a guess... but if it was a locator pin it would probably only serve to line something up during assembly. And probably doesn't serve any purpose after that point.

I recall some Ford Trannys that had a plastic plug or pin that was designed to push out and often was found in the pan later that also did something along these lines and scared people when they found it. But my memory is rather foggy on the specifics.
True on the fords although I don't recall being scared by it . Then again, it didn't look like a sheared pin either

The fact that more than 1 have been found to no ill effects sort of points that way. I think it may be more common than realized.

Sent from my Android using JeepForum
SlackJaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.