Melted my fuel tank... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Melted my fuel tank...

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!

Unread 05-25-2011, 05:14 PM   #1
TexanTJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Melted my fuel tank...

I hope others can look at these pics and learn from my bonehead moves. This could've ended very badly.

Started off the day in Dallas visiting family. My tailpipe had been having some clearance issues with my pass side shock and upper control arm mount. I decided to do away with the rattles with a sawzall.

I ASSUMED it would be fine for the 200 mile trek home, where I'd rebend/reweld my tailpipe back on.

A few hours in I noticed my fuel was getting low. Pulled off at a gas station, went to fill up and gas started pouring all over the ground as fast as I could put it in.

Got a friend to tow me home, dropped the tank and heres what I found.

Everyone please learn from my stupidity and don't cut corners. Thank goodness my Jeep didn't end up as a flaming fireball. I found a used tank out of an 05 for $150 bucks and will be throwing it in this weekend.

My question is... I was about to pull the trigger on a genright comp tank until I stumbled across the used stocker. I am starting to like the idea of more clearance between the diff and fuel tank. Are there any skidplates that offer more clearance (both ground clearance and diff to skid) that anyone can recommend (for use with the factory tank).

Regards

Unread 05-25-2011, 05:21 PM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Savvy. Improved ground and differential clearance.
Unread 05-25-2011, 05:23 PM   #3
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Holy Cow batman. That is really bad. You definitely could have been blown sky high. Then I would have seen you on the evening news. Glad to hear your okay.
JBTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2011, 05:24 PM   #4
MooSe7
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Unread 05-25-2011, 06:13 PM   #5
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Savvy
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2011, 06:43 PM   #6
tinyjeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

glad your not roasted, go savvy!
Unread 05-25-2011, 07:01 PM   #7
odinseye84
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The only problem I see with the 05 tank is it might have the fuel spray issue. I just had mine replaced on my 05, a faulty valve in the filler tube causes gas to spray out when the pump clicks off. I would try to test it first. There is a whole thread dedicated to this.
odinseye84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2011, 07:04 PM   #8
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Wow! Go buy a lottery ticket!

Glad to hear you made it.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2011, 07:44 PM   #9
Cjensenr
2006 TJ Wrangler 

This really shows the strengths and weaknesses of plastic gas tanks....

C.
Cjensenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2011, 08:11 PM   #10
Slacker1201
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The Big Man was looking after you!
Unread 05-25-2011, 08:36 PM   #11
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Wow!
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2011, 08:38 PM   #12
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker1201 View Post
The Big Man was looking after you!
While I don't care to dispute who was or wasn't looking out for him, this is at least the 5th time I've seen this and this one is mild. A couple of the others I've seen wound up with holes in them big enough to shove a softball through.
Unread 05-25-2011, 09:15 PM   #13
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I still have my stock tank sitting in my garage from when I replaced it with an aftermarket one for more clearance. All you'll need is a fuel pump If you want it, it's from an 05. You can pay shipping + $75 for the trouble and it's yours with the stock skid in case yours is trashed. But if looking for aftermarket armor, go with a savvy skid for sure. I never had the overflow issue until I replaced mine with an aftermarket tank lol.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=152304

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Bennettj13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2011, 10:16 PM   #14
TheMusicMan

Do I understand correctly that you rewelded/bent your exhaust to point up towards the floorboard and rear of your vehicle?.....

TheMusicMan.
TheMusicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2011, 10:22 PM   #15
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMusicMan View Post
Do I understand correctly that you rewelded/bent your exhaust to point up towards the floorboard and rear of your vehicle?.....

TheMusicMan.
I think he chopped it at the beginning of the bend to clear the rear axle.
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.