MCE Generation II Fenders - 3.5" and 6" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > MCE Generation II Fenders - 3.5" and 6"

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-23-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
footman
1999 TJ Wrangler 

MCE Generation II Fenders - 3.5" and 6"

So I have a 1999 TJ that was originally from Boston, the salt belt of the US. Needless to say my jeep has its fair share of rust. Iíve got a big cancerous hole of rot in the front drivers fender. I donít always get to go out with the club wheeling but when I do I donít have to worry about trail damage as my passenger front fender shows the result of an altercation with a tree while coming down off a rock. Now these types of superficial wounds usually never bothered me, but one day as I was cruising into work I was following a Porsche and a Challenger, I forgot to mention that my jeep is also my daily driver. As I pulled into a parking spot I had this weird feeling of embarrassment as I crawled down from my jeep and walked past those blemishes. I thought to myself, my rig doesnít have to look like this just because I wheel it.
In steps Mike, from Modern Classic Enterprises. About a year ago MCE came out with their flat fender kits. These were a great economical way of getting a bit more room up front and customers raved about the flatties. Soon to follow the flattie release, industry and various state laws screamed for a flattie with a flair . Months and months went by, teaser pictures surfaced and tentative dates released. I have to be honest, I email and called Mike on a regular basis because I was ready to transform my Jeep, oh and I was ready to go to 35ís. Well, MCE delivered and about 2 weeks ago, sitting on my doorstep was a big ol box.
Tearing into the box first thing I noticed was how well MCE packaged their product. Second thing I noticed was how great these fender with integrated flairs looked and how ridged yet flexible the material was that they were made out of. I looked over the well written instructions and made sure all hardware was present. Iím ready for the install!
I removed the flairs and the hood latches. Side note here, If you are going to do this go ahead and get new latches.. One of mine was siezed and turned within the plastic base making it impossible to remove. I had to break the base and get a pair of vise grips on the head of the bolt. I then used the supplied template and marked out my lines to be cut. Another side note, you may want to leave a little more on than the template bc Iíve found that the last bolt doesnít have much fender to attach to. Out came the cutoff disks and air saw, make sure you have at least 4 disks because the double part of the fender eats them up.
After removing the cut off fenders I decided I wanted to drive around for a day like that because, well it looks dang cool. Ok back to work. I mock fit the MCE fenders and realized my rockers were going to be in the way. I decided it would be easier to notch the flairs so out came the dremel and a small cutoff disk. I also noticed that the transition from the top of the fender to the factory fender was pretty blocky so I filed the edge down to a nice sooth angle.
I prepped the fenders and then sprayed a plastic paint adhesive/primer. In between coats I trimmed the rear flairs and prepped and sprayed primer on them also. I used Duplicolor match paint for my jeep and sprayed both fenders and rear flairs. In between coats of paint, I drilled 3 inch holes in the grill and installed JK directionals. A couple coats of clear and I let them sit over night.
The next morning I installed the red MCE fenders, shut the hood and stood back to admire. My Jeep looks so aggressively clean, MCE fenders were the perfect remedy for this transformation. Of course I had to go play in the back yard.
Overall the MCE fenders with integrated flair is a great alternative to tube fenders. MCEís customer service is top notch and ready to help. I believe that these fenders are best suited for the person who wants to clean up their trail scarred jeep and gain a little wheel room. Installation was fairly easy that most wheelers could do at home. These fenders netted me roughly 2 extra inches and so now come some 35ís.

2011-08-16-19.38.49.jpg   2011-08-16-19.39.11.jpg   2011-08-16-19.42.03.jpg   2011-08-20-11.36.03.jpg   2011-08-20-11.37.14.jpg  

footman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2011, 11:37 AM   #2
footman
1999 TJ Wrangler 

cont photos of MCE flaties w 3"flair
2011-08-20-14.36.05.jpg   2011-08-21-18.24.52.jpg   2011-08-21-18.25.43.jpg   2011-08-21-18.30.39.jpg   2011-08-21-18.32.00.jpg  

Unread 08-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #3
footman
1999 TJ Wrangler 

roughly 2 in gain in clearance
2011-08-21-19.12.38.jpg   1314454252698.jpg   1314454263493.jpg  

Last edited by footman; 08-30-2011 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: photos added
Unread 08-25-2011, 03:34 PM   #4
WAC_Jeeper

1997 TJ Wrangler 

MCE Generation II Fenders - 3.5" and 6"

With the 3.5" released a couple weeks ago, we've finally got the 6" ones about to release in 2 weeks. With our other thread started by Jerry Bransford (Thanks again Jerry!) being mostly dedicated to the Generation I fenders, I though it might be time for a new thread for the fresh new fenders. Here is a link to that thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ne...angler-959981/ If you missed the specs in the original thread on the Generation 2 fenders, here they are:

-1-piece design
-Constructed of extremely durable TPO plastic, it is basically like a newer ATV fender for your Jeep!
-Lifetime Warranty against cracking: This is a revolutionary plastic that is so durable that we can offer this warranty to the original purchaser. 4-wheeling does not void the warranty.
-Available in a 3.5" width, with 6" very soon and 4.5" soon thereafter
-Rubber grommet mounting on the rear of the flare to allow it to pop-off if a hard impact occurs there, and easily pop on again.
-Installs on a trimmed (per our instructions and template) OEM fender
-UV stable
-Made in the USA!

Here is a quick video of durability testing of the Generation II fenders:

(That's Albert Vandervelde of www.can4x4.com doing the crushing while testing the new 40" MTR stickies!)

Here are some shots of the 3.5":

And some of the upcoming 6" fenders:

We always welcome questions and comments.

Thanks,

Mike

97 TJ, MCE fenders and flares, heavily used and reliable on 35's.

MCE, LLC

Patented Off-Road Plastic "FLEXIBLE FENDER" - made in the USA - A Modern Twist on a Classic Icon

www.flexiblefenders.com

***LIKE us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bothel...547844?ref=sgm***
WAC_Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2011, 03:40 PM   #5
Barcus
1998 TJ Wrangler 

your pics arent working FYI...the video is.
Unread 08-25-2011, 03:48 PM   #6
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I see them just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2011, 04:01 PM   #7
Barcus
1998 TJ Wrangler 

sorry, it could be my internets
Unread 08-25-2011, 06:16 PM   #8
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Would you post some more pictures of the 6 inch versions at a distance?
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2011, 06:51 PM   #9
WAC_Jeeper

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sure:

I'll try to snag a few more before Jason takes this Jeep camping tomorrow AM. Until then, here are a few of an earlier prototype (basically looks the same except for the gloss black).

Thanks,

Mike

MCE, LLC

Patented Off-Road Plastic "FLEXIBLE FENDER" - made in the USA - A Modern Twist on a Classic Icon

www.flexiblefenders.com

***LIKE us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bothel...547844?ref=sgm***
Unread 08-25-2011, 09:23 PM   #10
Barcus
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Pics work fine...must be work computer. I REALLY like those 3.5" ones. Nice work.
Unread 08-25-2011, 09:26 PM   #11
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Hmmm...The 3.5s look the best but I still don't like how they look like an afterthought...
EugeneTheTJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2011, 09:32 PM   #12
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice, I like the new Gen II fenders! Seeing you purposely grind the fender into that rock wall was priceless, only a true Jeeper would see the purpose behind your demo and enjoy trying that for himself after installing them.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2011, 10:49 PM   #13
TheDragonfly
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The durability is quite impressive! Are there matching rear flares in the works?

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thedragonflys-build-1183537/"]My Build thread[/URL]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thedragonflys-build-1183537/#post11184362"]Hanson Winch guard Bumper overview[/URL]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thedragonflys-build-1183537/index2.html#post11235131"]Hanson Rear Bumper overview[/URL]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thedragonflys-build-1183537/index2.html#post11235178"]Hanson Tire Carrier overview[/URL]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thedragonflys-build-1183537/index3.html#post11275729"]Rollbar Rifle mount in TJ with Kolpin ATV Rhino Grips[/URL]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thedragonflys-build-1183537/index3.html#post11275788"]Firestik II and Firefly flex comparison[/URL]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thedragonflys-build-1183537/index2.html#post12821434"]Rokmen Slider Install[/URL]
TheDragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2011, 10:59 PM   #14
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

On my list of **** to buy now. YES

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2011, 10:44 AM   #15
WAC_Jeeper

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the comments and questions. Yes a rear flare is in the future but unfortunately I am not quite sure on the ETA. We are wrapping up the full line of front fenders and then we'll concentrate on the rears.

Jerry - ya it was pretty funny: we smashed into quite a few rocks trying to get photos and video, and we heard more than a few "you're gonna do what?!" from folks on the trail runs. Usuaully then would they realize our fenders aren't metal.

We also almost yard sale'd that Jeep on the first day - we took a wrong line on purpose trying to get the tire to jam up into the fender. We were glad it didn't roll as we drove that Jeep to and from Moab.

Thanks,

Mike

MCE, LLC

www.flexiblefenders.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.