Congrats on the huge win!
Name: Joe Zumwalt
Full Width Dana 60 Front W/ARB and 5.38 Gears. Picked it from a junk yard and completely rebuilt it
Full Width Sterling 10.25 :Rear W/ARB and 5.38 Gears. Picked it from a junk yard and completely rebuilt it
Custom Built 3 Link Front Suspension W/1 Ton Steering. All home built using Genright frame brackets as the base. 1 ¼ Johnny Joints on both ends
Custom Triangulated 4 Link Rear Suspension. All home built using Genright frame brackets as the base. 1 ¼ Johnny Joints on both ends of 2 X .250 wall DOM Tube. Triangulated using a RuffStuff axle truss.
14" ORI Struts Front and Rear, Custom Mounts Done By A to Z Fabrication.
Atlas II Transfer Case
A to Z Fabrication Roll Cage Tied Into the Frame
ORE Rock Sliders
A to Z Fabrication Front Bumper/W Stinger
Home built rear bumper
Genright Tube Fenders Front and Rear. Rear fender flares are welded into the corner guards.
Home Made Rear Full Corners
Banks Exhaust and Cold Air Intake
39.5 X 13.50 X 16 IROCK Super Swampers mounted on MT 16x10 Wheels
Disk brake conversion on the rear Sterling using TMR industries conversion kit and Chevy Brake calipers.
Dodge 2500 master cylinder conversion for more braking power.
Alpine sound system
I will try and keep the story behind this Jeep short. I was a typical Rubicon owner who figured his Jeep was going to do just fine with a 5 inch long arm lift and 37 inch tires. I started breaking things as I like to play hard. I spent a year chasing my tail as I was breaking axle shafts and tearing up the drive train. After breaking both front chrome moly shafts on one run, I decided it was time to do things right.
Not knowing on what the heck I was doing, I just dug right in. I completely tore apart the Jeep. I ended up with the second bay of my garage looking like a junk yard. I started with pulling the D44s, transfer case and transmission. I removed the front clip so I could install the Genright tube fenders. I completely stripped the interior and used the UPOL Raptor kit to line the tub. I next spent a good 2 days grinding and cutting everything off the frame. One that was done, I started rebuilding the D60 and Sterling. I completely stripped them both, ground off the old brackets and had them sand blasted. I rebuilt everything on the axles except the gears. For this I took them to Fleet Pride, where they installed 5.38 gears and ARB lockers.
I dreamed this was going to be a 2 month project, but it turned into 2 years. Between being way more work than I thought it was going to be, and doing a deployment to Afghanistan, I was finally able to finish it the first week of April. I had a lot of great help along the way and some great mentoring. A to Z Fabrication did a fantastic job for their part. I have come away from this project with a wealth of knowledge and skills that will last me a life time. I learned to weld, plasma cut, bend, analyze and figure out a lot of stuff. Again, the people on this site and pirate have been fantastic in making my dream come true.
Today was the maiden voyage and it handled awesome. I took on some very nasty rock climbs and made them all. Overall I would say this thing does everything it needs to do. I will be moving back to California this summer and will be 30 minutes from the hammers. I plan on wheeling this thing hard and continue to make it better.