Mass Air Flow Sensor???? HELP PLEASE - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Mass Air Flow Sensor???? HELP PLEASE

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-08-2007, 10:52 AM   #1
MRS. TRUE
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Mass Air Flow Sensor???? HELP PLEASE

Hi all...Yes, I did do a search first for this topic so please don't get angry with me! But I'm really at a loss on tis one and I could use some help, please?!

I've read (on here) that TJ's (I've got a 97 4cyl) do NOT have Mass Air Flow Sensors...HOWEVER, when I called my local dealership's svc. department yesterday a guy in the shop told me they DO have on and transferred me to the Parts Dept. so they could tell me where it was located...I'm told it's next to the manifold. A little vague but now I'm confused.

Do 97 Wranglers have or NOT have Mass Air Flow Sensors?

The reason I'm asking is this:
Engine bogging down, Gas Mileage has dropped from about 18-22mpg to oh um gee...77 miles is now a full tank of gas for me (12 gallon tank) and lest I forget the "GO GO GADGET BLACK SMOKE" that I've got billowing out the back when I'm accelerating. I know it's running rich and I need to fix her! I checked the diagnostic codes and I got P0171 "System Too Lean, Bank 1" and the only error coming up on my odometer is code 12 which tells me the battery has been disconnected within the last 50 starts. SO, tune up was done, fuel injecter cleaner dropped in the tank and now I'm reading that 9 times out of 10 if you just clean the MAF sensor it will solve alot of the problems...of course it could be my 02 Sensor too...

Any direction you guys can point me is sooo appreciated.
thanks
L

MRS. TRUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2007, 11:26 AM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I don't see a mass air flow sensor listed anywhere in the '97 factory service manual, just a MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor someone might have confused for the mass air flow sensor. Running rich usually means a bad upstream (nearest to the exhaust manifold) 02 sensor. But I don't know what could be causing the black smoke other than bad engine rings.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2007, 11:29 AM   #3
MRS. TRUE
1993 YJ Wrangler 

leaks?

So maybe if I have a exhaust leak upstream from the O2 sensor it's getting confused and dumping too much fuel...ya think?
Unread 06-08-2007, 11:33 AM   #4
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRS. TRUE
So maybe if I have a exhaust leak upstream from the O2 sensor it's getting confused and dumping too much fuel...ya think?
Your 97 TJ's 02 sensors are old and when the upstream 02 sensor goes bad, and they do go bad, it will incorrectly tell the computer the mixture is too lean which will then make it way too rich. I'd start by replacing the upstream 02 sensor. The downstream 02 sensor mounted on the catalytic converter has nothing to do with this so don't waste your $$$ replacing it too.

Unread 06-08-2007, 11:37 AM   #5
TJ on the Rocks

Who's the dealer You called ?
[SIZE="4"][/URL][/B][COLOR="Red"][/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE="3"][URL="http://www.stickylee.com/catalog/index.php"]www.stickylee.com[/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/CENTER][/SIZE]
TJ on the Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2007, 11:47 AM   #6
MRS. TRUE
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I called the dealership that I bought it at...Harrisburg Chrysler Jeep

I really appreciate the help guys.

How difficult is it to get to the upstream O2 sensor? What's it near?
I've got a Hayne's manual on my list of things to pick up...I know, it's all there but can anyone tell me what the O2 sensor is close to?

I hate to sound stupid...like maybe I should know these things but I'm learning as I'm doing!

Thanks again.
Unread 06-08-2007, 11:53 AM   #7
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The upstream sensor should be mounted just below the exhaust manifold. It threads into the exhaust just like a spark plug does and is replaced pretty much the same way. Just make sure the new 02 sensor you buy has four wires (some only have two wires) and that it has the same plug as your existing 02 sensor does. You can find an 02 sensor meant for the TJ that will have the right plug on the wiring but generic 02 sensors won't.

Unread 06-08-2007, 12:26 PM   #8
TJ on the Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRS. TRUE
I called the dealership that I bought it at...Harrisburg Chrysler Jeep

I really appreciate the help guys.

How difficult is it to get to the upstream O2 sensor? What's it near?
I've got a Hayne's manual on my list of things to pick up...I know, it's all there but can anyone tell me what the O2 sensor is close to?

I hate to sound stupid...like maybe I should know these things but I'm learning as I'm doing!

Thanks again.
No sweat , we all had to learn this stuff too .

If You're sure that's the part You need , I can help You get it much less $$$ than Hbg. Jeep would want for it .

Do this : Call Warner Chrysler Jeep in Hummelstown at 717-566-2519
Ext. 5 for parts . One of my best wheeling buddies is the parts manager there .
Ask for Scott Minich and tell him Sean ~ the Rausch Creek / High - N- Mighty trail guide referred You .
He just told me they have one in stock and that he'll sell it to You at my price .

Sean
[SIZE="4"][/URL][/B][COLOR="Red"][/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE="3"][URL="http://www.stickylee.com/catalog/index.php"]www.stickylee.com[/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/CENTER][/SIZE]
TJ on the Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.