Manual Transmission Leaking Massive Amounts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Manual Transmission Leaking Massive Amounts

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 07-01-2010, 12:59 AM   #1
sergeantspud
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Manual Transmission Leaking Massive Amounts

So today for the first time in months I drove my jeep for around a 40 mile trip on the freeway (2800rpm roughly 70mph) and all was well until tonight when I walk back out to my jeep after getting off work and noticed a huge oil puddle* under the center of my jeep. After inspecting, it looks like its either coming from the Tcase or transmission but I want to say there could be a leak in the shifter boot? Is there a seal up there?

*Exaggeration disclaimer- it was more several spots to add up to a large wet spot in the pavement. Also my whole rear axle is covered in the oil.

I'm wondering if this could be due to the recent freeway travel? And any other places it could be leaking from? Ill try to post pics tomorrow.

sergeantspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 10:09 AM   #2
sergeantspud
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Pics-

4th picture- Shows how the leak originates from the shift boot back because in front of that is not wet.

5th picture- I took out the fill plug today and noticed that there was oil missing (obviously) but the residue inside of the plug looked almost like mayonase with consistency. Quite odd because I changed out the transmission oil with Redline MT-90 just a few months ago.
img_1388.jpg   img_1395.jpg   img_1397.jpg   img_1398.jpg   img_1402.jpg  

Unread 07-01-2010, 10:30 AM   #3
unlimited4x4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I am just guessing at this, but it appears the spray area seems to start above where the drive shaft in the first picture enters the transfer case. Is there a seal where the shaft enters the case that could have failed?
unlimited4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2010, 08:10 PM   #4
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Clean it off and drive it again.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #5
sergeantspud
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I cleaned it off and changed all the fluid. About half of it was missing. As I was draining it however, there somehow go water inside of the fluid. It was white and the first few drops were clear water. I don't know how that happened because it hasn't rained in months and theres no water around here in the desert. But my theory is that the water caused foam to form as I was on the freeway and oil came out of the vent on top by the shifter.
Unread 07-02-2010, 08:36 PM   #6
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Doesn't your vent tube attach to the top of your bellhousing?
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2010, 08:40 PM   #7
TJLover99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Was this the first time you have driven your jeep since it last rained?
TJLover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2010, 09:08 PM   #8
sergeantspud
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Im not positive where the vent tube connects but there also just a plain vent at the top in the 3rd picture next to the shifter.

And its my daily driver, so maybe condensation?
Unread 07-02-2010, 11:37 PM   #9
asknight
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sometimes they'll blow oil out the shifter tower if the vent line becomes clogged. Check those while you're under there and see what gives.

I can't explain the water if you haven't been playing submarine.
asknight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manual , standard , tranny , transmission , leak , leaking

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.