Manual Transmission drain/fill plugs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Manual Transmission drain/fill plugs

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 01-01-2004, 08:11 PM   #1
Pinebarrensboy
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Manual Transmission drain/fill plugs

I was under my jeep the other day, and was going to check my trans fluid, but I noticed the fill and drain plugs have octagon shaped fittings, and not the usual square shape which the front and rear differentials use, which you can use regular ratchets to loosen. Any one have any idea what I can use to get them loose???

2003 Rubicon
2.25" Budget Boost / Skyjacker 7000 Hydros
265/75/R16 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Pinebarrensboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2004, 08:31 PM   #2
macb

17mm hex key, sears has em for about $8-$10 I think.
or you can use a bolt the right size with a few nuts on it to form an insert so you can use your 17mm socket.

[url=http://www.cafepress.com/H2RT]No Bling - H2 Recovery Gear[/url]

Bob Supplee:supplee@ionet.net or (405) 799-8977
Stu Olson's great jeep resource site: [url=http://www.stu-offroad.com]www.stu-offroad.com[/url]
macb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2004, 12:10 AM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Are you sure you're talking about the tranny and not the transfer case? My AX-15 tranny has hex-head bolts for the drain and fill holes. What year and model Jeep do you have?

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2004, 06:52 AM   #4
Owen

Jerry he has the NV3550. It has the drain fill plugs he is talking about... I know because I also have that tranny.

I carry a bolt with countersunk nuts on it to get them out. Beats spending $10 for an allen key I will use once in a blue moon or lose.... it cost me less than a dollar and I can use a regular open ended wrench on the bolt to get the plugs in and out.
Unread 01-03-2004, 04:48 PM   #5
Pinebarrensboy
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies guys....well it turns out I needed to get a 17mm hex that I could use on a 3/8's ratchet. I looked around a few stores, and could not find one that size, the biggest they had was 10mm. I decided to go to the hardware store, and took a 17mm x 2 inch bolt, and screwed on two nuts, with this other kind of nut in the center which is fat on one side, and skinny on the other (I'm not sure of the name of this). This seems to work well, I was able to use my 3/8's ratchet with a spark plug socket and fitted the bolt on, it fit perfectlly into the hex fittings on the transmission, and I was able to get them out easily. I wish I could get a photo up here for the others to see, I think I spent only a $1.50 or so when everything was said and done, certainly worth the small investment.

2003 Rubicon
2.25" Budget Boost / Skyjacker 7000 Hydros
265/75/R16 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Pinebarrensboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.