Manual Tranny fluid change surprise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Manual Tranny fluid change surprise

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-18-2014, 06:12 PM   #1
huntbrew
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Manual Tranny fluid change surprise

Hello Jeep Fam,

Over the past few weeks I've noticed that my shifting has gotten a little rougher than usual so I figured I'd check the trans fluid level. It was at the correct level but was fairly dirty so I ran to advance and grabbed some pennzoil synchromesh. When I pulled the drain plug out there was quite a bit of nasty metal shaving gooped in dirty fluid..... Is this a concern!? I baby it when I shift because I've had friends who are rough and grind gears all the time which is obviously terrible for your rig! Should I take it to a transmission shop and have them take a look? Or am I just overreacting to normal wear? I'd really appreciate some wisdom and tech support because I've never messed with my transmission on any of the vehicles I've owned.
Thanks guys!

huntbrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2014, 06:16 PM   #2
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Change the oil. Drive it around. If it's better, good. If not, take it to the shop.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2014, 08:11 PM   #3
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

mine has always been clean. recently it has gotten noisy in every gear but 4th.my magnet was covered with metal slime and some larger slivers as well
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2014, 08:21 PM   #4
Andy5150
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I change my fluid once a year in 3550. I use Pennzoil Synchromax. I only have about 9 or 10 thousand miles on the fluid each time, but with a body lift, its a ten minute job. I bought the Jeep with about 70,000 miles, and I,m now about 104,000 miles, and it shifts like butta.
Andy5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2014, 11:11 PM   #5
huntbrew
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the replies guys! I changed out the fluid no problem and once I cleaned off the drain plug I realized that it's actually a magnet so that would make sense why it had some shavings on it. Filled her up with synchromax and as Andy5150 put, "it shifts like butta"!
huntbrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2014, 08:22 AM   #6
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Fine metal particulates are pretty normal, and if the fluid had never been changed there'll be quite a lot. It's sizable pieces of metal to be concerned about.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2014, 10:29 AM   #7
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

i had some the size of staples. its a howler for sure so its losing a bearing
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
fluid , manual transmission , tj , tranny

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.