Manual swap questions - JeepForum.com

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 04-21-2017, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
BucketTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Manual swap questions

I have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler sport with the auto I know I need the trans and the pedal is there anything that is needed that doesn't stand out?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-21-2017, 08:59 AM
oIIIIIooIIIIIo
1988 MJ Comanche 

You'll need the hydraulic master and slave cylinder. This comes as one piece with the line. The petal mount is there. You will need to find a transmission that is set up for the transfer case. You'll need the clutch and internal shifting fork. You will also need the neutral safety switch and to remove the fuse so it will work.
You could leave the switch out this is what people do so they can start in gear on a hill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 18 Old 04-21-2017, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
BucketTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oIIIIIooIIIIIo View Post
You'll need the hydraulic master and slave cylinder. This comes as one piece with the line. The petal mount is there. You will need to find a transmission that is set up for the transfer case. You'll need the clutch and internal shifting fork. You will also need the neutral safety switch and to remove the fuse so it will work.
You could leave the switch out this is what people do so they can start in gear on a hill.

So when I get my trans should I just pull the transfer case with it?

post #4 of 18 Old 04-21-2017, 09:04 AM
oIIIIIooIIIIIo
1988 MJ Comanche 

That's what I did. They used two different spline counts. 21 and 23. The 23 spline were used later.

BucketTJ likes this.
post #5 of 18 Old 04-21-2017, 09:10 AM
oIIIIIooIIIIIo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Transmissions were BA10/5 which were made by Peugeot, they are total junk. Then there is the AX-15 which is an Asian warner trans. You can find these in Dodge Dakota, although here you would need a jeep belhousing if it is from a dodge. Then there is NV 3550. This is made by new venture gear, same company that makes your transfer case.

BucketTJ likes this.
post #6 of 18 Old 04-21-2017, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
BucketTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oIIIIIooIIIIIo View Post
Transmissions were BA10/5 which were made by Peugeot, they are total junk. Then there is the AX-15 which is an Asian warner trans. You can find these in Dodge Dakota, although here you would need a jeep belhousing if it is from a dodge. Then there is NV 3550. This is made by new venture gear, same company that makes your transfer case.

Do I need to get a diffrent drive shaft when I get a diffrent transfer case

post #7 of 18 Old 04-21-2017, 10:11 AM
oIIIIIooIIIIIo
1988 MJ Comanche 

I doubt it but you could measure when I replaced the trans in my Comanche I got the front shaft with trans and case. This was easier for the wrecking yard with less to take apart

BucketTJ likes this.
post #8 of 18 Old 04-21-2017, 10:13 AM
oIIIIIooIIIIIo
1988 MJ Comanche 

I would go to navak adapters and read up on transmissions. They have all the transmissions and the dimensions on their site

BucketTJ likes this.
post #9 of 18 Old 04-21-2017, 01:36 PM
greenmachine99

1999 TJ Wrangler 

You'll also need a manual pcm, or send your pcm to someone who can tune out the auto programming. Your CEL will be on if not.
post #10 of 18 Old 04-21-2017, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
BucketTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Are they in the dash

post #11 of 18 Old 04-21-2017, 03:30 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Personally, unless something is wrong with your present 32RH automatic transmission, I would consider it a downgrade to convert it to a 5-speed manual. I actually converted my '97 TJ's OE 5-speed manual transmission to the 32RH automatic for the major benefits automatics provide on tougher trails. Increased low-end torque and an infinitely low 1st gear ratio being two of the benefits of an automatic over a manual transmission.

Few truly understand automatics and have any idea of their significant benefits for offroading. The boost in offroad abilities the swap to the automatic gave were pretty much on the same level as when I had previously installed front & rear lockers.

Our Technical Staff is working to fix our database error problem, thank you for your patience.

Getting
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When you have a choice, buy American made.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 18 Old 04-21-2017, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
BucketTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Personally, unless something is wrong with your present 32RH automatic transmission, I would consider it a downgrade to convert it to a 5-speed manual. I actually converted my '97 TJ's OE 5-speed manual transmission to the 32RH automatic for the major benefits automatics provide on tougher trails. Increased low-end torque and an infinitely low 1st gear ratio being two of the benefits of an automatic over a manual transmission.

Few truly understand automatics and have any idea of their significant benefits for offroading. The boost in offroad abilities the swap to the automatic gave were pretty much on the same level as when I had previously installed front & rear lockers.
Right now my 32 is slipping in and out of gear and it's grinding. I'm only going the manual route becouse there is one in my local junkyard.

Jerry Bransford likes this.
post #13 of 18 Old 04-21-2017, 04:44 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucketTJ View Post
Right now my 32 is slipping in and out of gear and it's grinding. I'm only going the manual route because there is one in my local junkyard.
Understandable. No used or rebuilt 32RH transmissions anywhere? You could order and receive it and get it swapped in before you could make the conversion to the manual transmission.

Not to mention you will also need a replacement 2000 model year ECM (engine computer) programmed for the 4.0L engine and manual transmission. Otherwise you'll be getting a constant Check Engine light from your current computer wondering why it's not getting the right signal back after it signaled the automatic transmission's torque converter to lock up and it not getting the required confirming information back that it did so.

Our Technical Staff is working to fix our database error problem, thank you for your patience.

Getting

When you have a choice, buy American made.

post #14 of 18 Old 04-21-2017, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
BucketTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Understandable. No used or rebuilt 32RH transmissions anywhere? You could order and receive it and get it swapped in before you could make the conversion to the manual transmission.

Not to mention you will also need a replacement 2000 model year ECM (engine computer) programmed for the 4.0L engine and manual transmission. Otherwise you'll be getting a constant Check Engine light from your current computer wondering why it's not getting the right signal back after it signaled the automatic transmission's torque converter to lock up and it not getting the required confirming information back that it did so.
No sadly there isn't any rebuilt ones around me I've tried calling around and got no where. I might end up sending it in I don't really wanna mess with the computer

post #15 of 18 Old 04-21-2017, 08:36 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Jerry, it will trip the CEL as soon as you power it up without the TCC connector plugged in. It doesn't need to try and lock it up.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.