Manual says no snow chains on Sahara or Rubicon - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Manual says no snow chains on Sahara or Rubicon

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 01-09-2009, 04:39 PM   #1
Sia Bani
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Manual says no snow chains on Sahara or Rubicon

Figure there are clearance issues somehow? I now have 31x10.5s, will I be oka with chains if I need them? (I have ATs, but CHP requires chains even those with 4wd and snows at times...)

ClubSportiva.com
Sia Bani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
NMLJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Im sure it's a clearence issue. The best way to tell would be to put them on and see where your at. If you use them make sure you get them as snug and use tensioners. Also the faster you go, the more they will expand.

-2006 Impact Orange LJ-

THE HARDEST THING ABOUT A ZOMBIE OUTBREAK WOULD BE PRENTENDING NOT TO BE EXCITED
NMLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2009, 05:04 PM   #3
HipCheck_1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

What is the law in California? I found a web site that says you only need to carry chains if you have a 4wd vehicle and they leave it up to you to decide if you should use them:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/tr...ins.html#where

If I have 4-wheel-drive, do I need to carry chains?

Yes. Even though weather conditions may not warrant the use of chains on 4-wheel-drive vehicles at a particular time, to enter a chain control area, you must have a set of chains (for one drive axle) for your vehicle in your possession. If conditions worsen or you have trouble controlling your vehicle, you must stop and install the chains.

Looks like you can just keep a set in the Jeep and not really have to use them...
Low Ouput 4-cyl Jeep club member #151
HipCheck_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2009, 05:05 PM   #4
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

It's got to be an issue with the stock OEM wheels that are put on these? A backspacing issue!
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2009, 05:06 PM   #5
Sia Bani
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipCheck_1 View Post
What is the law in California? I found a web site that says you only need to carry chains if you have a 4wd vehicle and they leave it up to you to decide if you should use them:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/tr...ins.html#where

If I have 4-wheel-drive, do I need to carry chains?

Yes. Even though weather conditions may not warrant the use of chains on 4-wheel-drive vehicles at a particular time, to enter a chain control area, you must have a set of chains (for one drive axle) for your vehicle in your possession. If conditions worsen or you have trouble controlling your vehicle, you must stop and install the chains.

Looks like you can just keep a set in the Jeep and not really have to use them...
The above quote is correct for "R1" codes. For R2/R3, the chp may require even those with snows AND 4wd to use chains; I think R3 is no one can drive the route, or something

ClubSportiva.com
Unread 01-09-2009, 05:08 PM   #6
HipCheck_1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

What are the R-1, R-2 conditions that I hear about?

Although Caltrans does not post signs with these designations nor use them to announce chain controls to the public, they are used internally within Caltrans and the CHP as a kind of shorthand to describe chain restrictions and may be included in traffic reports disseminated by various news outlets.

There are three primary categories of chain restrictions, as shown below:

R-1: Chains are required on all vehicles except passenger vehicles and light-duty trucks under 6,000 pounds gross weight and equipped with snow tires on at least two drive wheels. Chains must be carried by vehicles using snow tires. All vehicles towing trailers must have chains on one drive axle. Trailers with brakes must have chains on at least one axle.

R-2: Chains are required on all vehicles except four-wheel-drive vehicles under 6,500 pounds gross weight and equipped with snow tires on all four wheels. Chains for one set of drive wheels must be carried by four wheel-drive vehicles using snow tires.

R-3: Chains are required on all vehicles without exception.

R-1 and R-2 are the most common conditions. A highway will often be closed before an R-3 condition is imposed. Some local areas may use variations of these designations. You must follow the directions on the signs posted for chain controls or any instructions given by Caltrans or CHP personnel at chain control check points, even if these are at variance with broadcast road condition reports or information contained herein.
Unread 01-09-2009, 05:08 PM   #7
Sia Bani
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLENJEEPTJ View Post
It's got to be an issue with the stock OEM wheels that are put on these? A backspacing issue!
Ah, well in that case, with the new wheels I have, I should be good given they stick out a hell of a lot farther than the stockers. I got 4" backspacing on my cragars

ClubSportiva.com
Unread 01-09-2009, 05:09 PM   #8
Sia Bani
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you. Yes, and for this reason, I have to carry a set, and if I have to buy a set to carry, it might as well fit, right?

Quote:
What are the R-1, R-2 conditions that I hear about?

Although Caltrans does not post signs with these designations nor use them to announce chain controls to the public, they are used internally within Caltrans and the CHP as a kind of shorthand to describe chain restrictions and may be included in traffic reports disseminated by various news outlets.

There are three primary categories of chain restrictions, as shown below:

R-1: Chains are required on all vehicles except passenger vehicles and light-duty trucks under 6,000 pounds gross weight and equipped with snow tires on at least two drive wheels. Chains must be carried by vehicles using snow tires. All vehicles towing trailers must have chains on one drive axle. Trailers with brakes must have chains on at least one axle.

R-2: Chains are required on all vehicles except four-wheel-drive vehicles under 6,500 pounds gross weight and equipped with snow tires on all four wheels. Chains for one set of drive wheels must be carried by four wheel-drive vehicles using snow tires.

R-3: Chains are required on all vehicles without exception.
R-1 and R-2 are the most common conditions. A highway will often be closed before an R-3 condition is imposed. Some local areas may use variations of these designations. You must follow the directions on the signs posted for chain controls or any instructions given by Caltrans or CHP personnel at chain control check points, even if these are at variance with broadcast road condition reports or information contained herein.

ClubSportiva.com
Unread 01-09-2009, 05:11 PM   #9
HipCheck_1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sia Bani View Post
Thank you. Yes, and for this reason, I have to carry a set, and if I have to buy a set to carry, it might as well fit, right?
Now don't start getting all logical on me...

I guess my point was if they don't/won't fit the odds that you will need them are slim since they probably will close the hwy before they force everyone to use them and I wouldn't let it stop me from going skiing/snowboarding.

California is a crazy state though, Colorado doesn't require chains at all with 4 wheel drive vehicles.

Last edited by HipCheck_1; 01-09-2009 at 05:24 PM..
Unread 01-09-2009, 08:04 PM   #10
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Hipcheck is full of incorrect information.

Depending on Which Tires you are running, you may get by a bit longer without chains with a 4wd vehicle.

But when the sign says "Chain Up" they don't care what you drive - it's chain it or walk. And this includes Colorado. (If you think you can walk 50 miles in subfreezing weather...)

They force Everyone to use chains LONG before they close highways.

Sia Bani - the reason the owners manual said that is because of the wheels and tires those particular models came with. Other than that they were no different than any TJ.

Only an idiot would carry chains that don't actually fit. Making the cop believe you're okay is one thing - but what if you ACTUALLY need them (If you think you can walk 50 miles in subfreezing weather...)
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2009, 09:07 PM   #11
Bishop Creek
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I live in the Eastern High Sierra of California, (an area that gets some of the heaviest snows in the U.S each year) and frequntly drive between Bishop, CA and Reno, NV on Highway 395 in heavy snow. I have driven in R-1, R-2, and R-3 conditions many, many times. I carry chains, but have not had to chain up in over 20 years.

A few years ago, while returing to Bishop from Carson City (a 160 mile trip) I hit heavy snow and blizzard conditions all the way home. Highway 395 here ranges from 4,000 to almost 9,000 in elevation.

It was bad and I could hardly see, snow was up to my hubs, and when I stopped to scrape my windshield of ice and snow, my door froze shut and I had to put my foot on the tub to yank it open to get in. I trudged on with my BFG ATs and finally made it to the bottom of Sherwin Grade near Bishop only to find out that that they had closed the highway a couple of hours earlier. No wonder that I didn't see any other vehicles on the road. This was beyond R-3 conditions, yet with four wheel drive and ATs I made it fine.

About the only place in Northern California where they make you chain up is on I-80 between Sacramento and Reno, and US 50 between Tahoe and Sac. Mainly because of all the inexperienced city drivers from the Sacramento and Bay areas.

Last edited by Bishop Creek; 01-09-2009 at 09:35 PM..
Bishop Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2009, 11:05 PM   #12
Sia Bani
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, and I'll be having to deal with the CHP that's fed up with those drivers on those roads

Thanks for the comments guys. Yes, it's unlikely the chp will check the chains (it's happened to me, and I've said ya, the chains are in the trunk, and they let you pass).

However, I don't have ANY set at this point, so even though I have snows and 4wd, and can actually drive , I'd need a set so might as well carry a set that'd be useful.

ClubSportiva.com
Unread 01-10-2009, 10:08 AM   #13
Bishop Creek
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Since you mainly will be carrying them and not using them, I recommend that you get the cable type chains for your Jeep. They are easier to put on and will have the potential to do less damage to your fender flares should they come lose during driving. They also are less likely to rub inside your wheel wells. Use chains a lot? Get heavy duty type chains.
Unread 01-11-2009, 11:38 AM   #14
HipCheck_1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop Creek View Post
I live in the Eastern High Sierra of California, (an area that gets some of the heaviest snows in the U.S each year) and frequntly drive between Bishop, CA and Reno, NV on Highway 395 in heavy snow. I have driven in R-1, R-2, and R-3 conditions many, many times. I carry chains, but have not had to chain up in over 20 years.

A few years ago, while returing to Bishop from Carson City (a 160 mile trip) I hit heavy snow and blizzard conditions all the way home. Highway 395 here ranges from 4,000 to almost 9,000 in elevation.

It was bad and I could hardly see, snow was up to my hubs, and when I stopped to scrape my windshield of ice and snow, my door froze shut and I had to put my foot on the tub to yank it open to get in. I trudged on with my BFG ATs and finally made it to the bottom of Sherwin Grade near Bishop only to find out that that they had closed the highway a couple of hours earlier. No wonder that I didn't see any other vehicles on the road. This was beyond R-3 conditions, yet with four wheel drive and ATs I made it fine.

About the only place in Northern California where they make you chain up is on I-80 between Sacramento and Reno, and US 50 between Tahoe and Sac. Mainly because of all the inexperienced city drivers from the Sacramento and Bay areas.
Exactly....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sia Bani View Post
Yes, it's unlikely the chp will check the chains (it's happened to me, and I've said ya, the chains are in the trunk, and they let you pass).
and again that was my point...

Thanks.

Hey BlueFlame can you please show me where Colorado requires chains on non-commercial 4 wheel drive vehicles? I drive there at least once every year to snowboard and I haven't heard of them requiring chains. Thanks. (not being a smart ***, I really want to know.)
Unread 01-11-2009, 12:43 PM   #15
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Exactly....
Hey BlueFlame can you please show me where Colorado requires chains on non-commercial 4 wheel drive vehicles? I drive there at least once every year to snowboard and I haven't heard of them requiring chains. Thanks. (not being a smart ***, I really want to know.)
Everywhere it snows or gets icy - in any state, there can be times when chains are required. It might be rare in your experience, but it does happen.
Around here its more often for ice, but in the high mountains packed snow gets slick enough they require chains.

There are various levels, traction tires required, carry chains, chains installed, and closed...

Here is the info you requested for CO-
http://www.cotrip.org/winterdriving/chainregs1.htm
http://www.cotrip.org/winterdriving/chainregs.htm
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.