Manual belt tensioner question... missing tensioner bolt? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Manual belt tensioner question... missing tensioner bolt?

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-30-2008, 10:03 PM   #1
JFamily
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Manual belt tensioner question... missing tensioner bolt?

After looking at the Haynes manual and realizing that mine doesn't match theirs (alternator pivot/slide what?) I did a quick search which led me to finding mine under the power steering pump. The odd thing is that it the "red rectangle" bolt in Stu's pic below is not there.

Does that seem odd? How is it held then? Just the pulley tightened really good? That's kind of scary

I am assuming that to get the belt off, I'll need to loosen the bolt in the middle of the pulley, naturally it's frozen on, so it's currently bathing in some Blaster, but the missing tensioner bolt kind of threw me off. Can you buy a replacement bolt? Should I even worry about it?

JFamily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2008, 10:15 PM   #2
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The pulley is locked down by the through bolt. You could actually adjust the belt tension utilizing a pry bar or such then tighten the pulley. Not the most elegant way, but...
Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2008, 10:23 PM   #3
apexjeepinjoe
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Is the hole there for the bolt? I changed a belt on Saturday and I was glad the bolt was there made it easy to adjust. I am sure you should be able to buy a new one. On the one that is seized blast it and keep trying it will break loose.

2012 Wrangler Rubicon(my woman's ride)
2002 Wrangler Apex Edition(with lots of goodies)
1988 Comanche(stock for now)
1970 Jeepster Commando(a work In progress)
apexjeepinjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2008, 09:06 AM   #4
JFamily
1997 TJ Wrangler 

yeah, there is a hole, just missing some parts. You have to place the pulley by hand and tighten it down at the same time (all the while making sure that the pulley is level)

anyone know what this tensioner is "officially" called or the OEM part number? I've looked at Rock Auto and a couple of other places and haven't found one...

thanks
Unread 04-21-2008, 10:23 AM   #5
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

The bolt part number is 6503198, $9.20 list price.

In case your pulley wheel doesn't have the correct block on the back, with the threaded hole for the tensioner bolt...
The part number and description for that is 53010149 COLLAR, Tensioner Adjustment, Tensioning Adjusting. ($5.70 list)

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2008, 08:54 PM   #6
JFamily
1997 TJ Wrangler 

thanks jonny
I was on the phone with the dealer when I saw your post and he was like "uhhhhhh" then I gave him the part numbers and he was like "oh, yeah, well I already found them, I knew that"

big difference, eh?

Unread 04-21-2011, 08:25 PM   #7
Bam4739
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Does anyone know the part number to the bolt that goes into the pulley collar for a 2.5L 1997 Tj?
Bam4739 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2011, 03:37 PM   #8
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Same part number for 2.5 and 4.0.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Unread 04-23-2011, 08:18 PM   #9
Bam4739
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not talking about the one in red but the one that's on the idler pulley just below it and to the right.
Bam4739 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2011, 05:27 AM   #10
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

In that case part number is 34202029. Bolt is M10 x 1.5 x 50mm long. Without pulling mine I can't say for sure if it has a wider shank or if it's 10mm along the whole length.

Unread 05-24-2011, 04:23 PM   #11
mike19968

Same Bolt problem

Hey...I've got the same issue with my bolt. I went to and called Rock Auto Parts, but they couldn't find the part or the part number. Any suggestions on where I can find this bolt and collar?
mike19968 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2011, 12:12 AM   #12
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Dealership only as far as I know. If you don't have one near you, you could try one of the online dealers.

Unread 05-25-2011, 07:57 AM   #13
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hmmm, going to have to pick one of these up. Mine hasn't had that tensioner since I got it from the previous owner, I've always just dealt with tightening it by hand. I've gotten pretty good at it, but I'm sure this is much easier; I'm kind of anxious now. Thanks for the P/Ns!
geiman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2011, 09:49 AM   #14
JMAC90YJ

1990 YJ Wrangler 

This was just sent to me last week and helped me out .

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/attac...ler-pulley.jpg
JMAC90YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2011, 10:40 AM   #15
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAC90YJ View Post
This was just sent to me last week and helped me out .

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/attac...ler-pulley.jpg
Very nice, that will come in very useful.
geiman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.