Manifold finally cracked. Long term problems? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Manifold finally cracked. Long term problems?

RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 11-10-2004, 01:25 PM   #1
htownjeep
What's that noise?

Manifold finally cracked. Long term problems?

Was just wondering if driving it around a while will be a big problem? If so, what are the problems I'm facing by doing this? Happened a few weeks ago and now it's getting louder and louder. Don't know if it's in my head, but it seems like I've lost a lot of power. Doesn't get up and go like she used to! Any thoughts?(except obviously replacing it! Just don't have the cash now!)

Unread 11-10-2004, 01:34 PM   #2
Killian

Many muffle shops can weld these areas for 30 bucks - that is, of course, the crack is at a place reachable to them without removing the piece. Make a few calls to the local shops. they may surprise you with how cheaply you can get away with it for a while.

As to your original inquiry, I do not know for sure what long term problems you will encounter.
Unread 11-10-2004, 01:38 PM   #3
jeepin_coug

I felt a loss of power when mine cracked. I don't think there's any major effects, except power and mpg. How many miles are on the jeep? I've seen a few threads on here that people got the manifold replaced through jeep under warranty. Try doing a search in here for cracked manifold.
jeepin_coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2004, 02:24 PM   #4
DonDonn

cracked manifold will get you a lot of posts!!! It's all too common. I think I drove mine that way for about a couple months and maybe it was in my head too, but I thought it seemed more powerful once I replaced it. My only advice is save up enough to get a Banks! Do a search on Manifold and you'll see a lot of people reccommending them. It was a pain, but I replaced it with some help from my father-in-law, and now that it's done I'm really glad that I didn't skimp and get a cheapie. I really don't want to have to do that again! Good Luck!!!
DonDonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2004, 02:33 PM   #5
jeepin_coug

I replaced mine with a Borla header. I would have gone with the banks, but i needed it right away and they were on back order. I'll agree it's a pain to install but well worth it.

If you have the crack welded it will just break again.
jeepin_coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2004, 03:43 PM   #6
joeyt17
2001 TJ Wrangler 

mine was slightly cracked when i purchased my jeep at 68,000....it jsut made a slight rumble, sounded pretty nice on acceleration. then it cracked more at 78,000 7 months later and got obnoxiously loud. just when i thought it couldn't get worse one of the pipes completely split on the way to the badlands.....the thing sounded like a revved up corvette engine when it was just idleing. from what i've expereinced lose power and your gas mileage will drop majorly (i went from 17 to 10 along with a slow response when you hit the gas). from what i read you have a possibility of losing an O2 sensor or ruining your cat (i just read that on the forum during a search)....the check engine light will eventually come on because the O2 sensor is not getting the right readings mine also had a hard time ideling with teh completely cracked manifold...it would bog down and jump up which was most likely relaved to the O2 sensor not getting the correct readings

i purchased a replacement on ebay from megapartz. its $121 after shipping and comes with a free gasket kit. it has a lifetime warranty and fit right on without any problems. from what i read all the headers are prone to cracking (even banks and borla will crack) but with those you have to send in the cracked manifold before you get a new one.....which results in atleast 2 weeks of downtime for your jeep! megapartz states all you have to do is contact them if you have a problem and a new one is shipped out immediately.
joeyt17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2004, 04:00 PM   #7
htownjeep
What's that noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyt17
(i went from 17 to 10 along with a slow response when you hit the gas). from what i read you have a possibility of losing an O2 sensor or ruining your cat (i just read that on the forum during a search)....

Yeah, did a search and it came with about 500 results. I didn't see any titles relating to what I was looking for. I was wondering about the O2 mostly or doing any long term damage to my engine. It'll be a few more weeks before I can get the cash to replace it...

Someone asked about my mileage and warranty...Nope, I have about 105k and it's a '98. I can imagine the laughter I'd get if I even asked for it!

Thanks for the replies!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.