Manifold for beginners - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Manifold for beginners

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-27-2010, 03:09 PM   #1
TheBeast
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Manifold for beginners

I removed my exhaust manifold this weekend to replace what I thought was a bad gasket. Turns out to be a crack on the OEM manifold. So now I'm thinking might as well upgrade to headers instead. What is everyone getting as replacement?

1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg  
TheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 03:14 PM   #2
USMC_XJ
2003 WJ 

I got another stock one off Ebay. $82 withe free shipping. I have always made sure to get the extended things in the tubing like the OEM's have. The aftermarket headers don't have these, and are prone to cracking too.

The one I replaced on my dads 97 TJ has been fine for 2 years and I just replaced mine on my 94 XJ about 3 months ago. All is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob99
The next time you want to tell a story but not get people's opinions, rather than post it on an internet forum, open up Microsoft Word, type your story there, then click on the little X in the top right corner and then hit yourself in the head with a sledge hammer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquat
If he finds the yj section im putting round headlights on mine.
USMC_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 03:16 PM   #3
jerseyjeep22
1997 TJ Wrangler 

how hard are they to take off/get back on? I have a crack in my manifold and I haven't dealt with it yet
jerseyjeep22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 03:19 PM   #4
JCWJEEP
2010 JK Wrangler 

The OEM manifold is just as good as any aftermarket header. A lot of people just go with the ebay replacements with the flexible fittings. The cracking is caused by warping and flexing created by the heat the pipe goes under and combine that with the length of the header and it's bad. It seems that the units with the flex tubing help alleviate this problem some but eventually it'll happen. The aftermarket headers don't have that feature and are more likely to crack.

Or you could have that crack repaired and then run it until it breaks again.
Unread 04-27-2010, 03:21 PM   #5
purplepig
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I am happy with the Banks that was installed by the PO years ago. I would check for the best warranty.
purplepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 03:51 PM   #6
TJ311
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I agree that it actually looks like a half way decent design for a stock manifold. I'd say if you got an aftermarket one, make it a stainless header AND add a small piece of flex pipe somewhere after the flange.
TJ311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 04:28 PM   #7
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Get an OEM 2 piece manifold for the 2000 and newer 4.0L. Have a "Y" pipe made at an exhaust shop. It's the best setup you can do for pre 2000 4.0L engines...

Unread 04-27-2010, 06:11 PM   #8
TheBeast
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, I have a 99 so 2-piece is not an option. Looks like majority are just stock aftermarket manifolds. Some are Borlans, Banks, etc. I checked Autozone and they have Dorman for $188, 1yr warranty. Then I checked Checker's and they have Dorman also for $260, lifetime warranty. Both comes with the gasket already. I think I'll just get the Checker's. I took a lot of pics (one reason why it took me 5 hours to remove it plus I'm a newbie at this). I'll post my write up here later.
Unread 04-27-2010, 06:34 PM   #9
tjsean0308
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I think Knuckelhead meant that for about the same money at the exhaust shop and a trip to the "you pick it" for a two piece manifold, you could have a possibly more permanent solution. welcome to the 4.0 they all crack like that, the motor is so long and the manifold heat cycles so much. Even mine on the 4cyl cracked. I went with the banks (one of very few 4cyl options) been good for two years now.

best of luck.
Unread 04-27-2010, 06:38 PM   #10
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeast View Post
Ok, I have a 99 so 2-piece is not an option.
why do you think that?
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 07:11 PM   #11
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeast View Post
Ok, I have a 99 so 2-piece is not an option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsean0308 View Post
I think Knuckelhead meant that for about the same money at the exhaust shop and a trip to the "you pick it" for a two piece manifold, you could have a possibly more permanent solution. welcome to the 4.0 they all crack like that, the motor is so long and the manifold heat cycles so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
why do you think that?
The option is there for you, use it...
Unread 04-27-2010, 07:30 PM   #12
Rcajun
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I gotta an extra 2 piece laying around if your interested.
Rcajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 08:45 PM   #13
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

that crack does look repairable, if you are looking for the cheapest route.
Unread 04-27-2010, 10:07 PM   #14
TheBeast
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the suggestions. I re-read Knucklehead's post and I misunderstood. I don't want to go cheap and just patch things up but I also don't want to be too different that I have to take extra steps to get or install the parts I need. Changing the manifold is not something I'm comfortable of doing. I'm just a newbie in both the Jeep world and doing something very extensive like this. Baby steps for now.
Unread 04-27-2010, 10:56 PM   #15
uvalax236
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Banks has a lifetime warrantee. Im on my second header from them. First one lasted 3 years...lets see how long this one lasts.
RE 4.5 Springs/BrakeLines/HD TB, Currie Steering, VVME 3000k, 6000k HID Systems, IPF H4 Headlights,
315/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers on Moab's, 5.13's and TruSpeed
uvalax236 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.