Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Making the rear upper control arm adjustable with a camshaft bolt?

699 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  TheBoogieman 
#1 ·
OK, been told that I can make my rear STOCK upper control arm have a camshaft bolt. 2000tj what is the problems doing this? I got the jeep off the ground and wheels off and I am looking at this. comtemplating the problems I am going to run into by doing this.

any thoughts on this.

Who else has done this task?

What did you run into?

Thanks

#2 ·
OK, been told that I can make my rear STOCK upper control arm have a camshaft bolt. 2000tj what is the problems doing this? I got the jeep off the ground and wheels off and I am looking at this. contemplating the problems I am going to run into by doing this.
Don't, the use of a cam bolt there doesn't work out for long. Those who have done it say it won't hold the pinion angle for long and then end up having to weld it in place. This was something that was tried a lot years ago but few try it now after early negative experiences with it.

In my personal opinion, it's far better to install adjustable upper rear control arms there instead.

#4 ·
Exactly. I used a BFH to try to knock those slugs out before learning many years ago that it wasn't a good way to go and I got nowhere. I don't know why the factory bothers to stamp that slot outline into the bracket, it certainly isn't something that can be knocked out with reasonable force.

#7 ·
good and cheap dont often go together.

if i was using all stock arms except the rear uppers, and price was that important, i would look at rough country. they are about as cheap as u will find, and not be totally horrible quality.

if money was not the deciding factor, i would look into an arm with johnny joints on both ends.
currie, savvy, rokmen, clayton ect...

also double adjustables would be nice for quick changes to the pinion angle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.