Making Hummer Style Snorkel for TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Making Hummer Style Snorkel for TJ

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 07-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
Coffee1997TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Making Hummer Style Snorkel for TJ

So here is the theory. Remove air box completely and replace with inline spectre product. Then add 90 degree bend and up pipe to a precleaner. Perhaps the one from centri unless others have found a better one. This would build a RiverRenegadesc intake with out having to keep the old box with paper square filter design. Please give input I think I'm going to try this unless someone can talk me out of it.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/17006_7000_07.htm
http://www.centriprecleaner.com/specs.html

Coffee1997TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #2
stottman
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds cool, do it and take lots of pics
Unread 07-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
LostJeeper

Im kinda working on same thing right now with spectre which has a air filter already. Im sitting inside the cowl just need to figure out how to do rest.
jeep-20pics-20just-20now-20010.jpg  
LostJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'm getting rid of a Enginaire cap if you are interested. It's lower profile IIRC.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f130/...e-cap-1373046/
Unread 07-07-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
Coffee1997TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Nice LostJeeper that is the route i want to take. It looks good on your rig. does it look like it can be sealed at least splash proof around where it pulls apart for cleaning the filter?
Unread 07-07-2012, 12:33 PM   #6
DerekXJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Take a look at my thread about the spectre intake..........Its still on the first page here. called.

"Spectre intake BIG problems" .......before you continue with this idea. Especially on your 97!
Unread 07-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
Coffee1997TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Follow DerekXJ's post!!! Anyone following this post this is a major design flaw. Not one that will stop this project but needs attention. Anyone trying this mod need to consider completing the job in one go. If like me you were planning on doing it in stages we could end up Drowned like DerekXJ. The 90degree up turn as well as the precleaner will be needed to prevent this from happening.
Thank you for your post DerekXJ. This will still work but without the cap we are just begging to get hydolocked. I'm considering a water trap like on a sink or crapper with a drain plug to allow removal of water before it is ingested. I need to make some measurements to see if there is room. Though it should not be necessary with the precleaner on top.
Unread 07-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #8
DerekXJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee1997TJ View Post
Follow DerekXJ's post!!! Anyone following this post this is a major design flaw. Not one that will stop this project but needs attention. Anyone trying this mod need to consider completing the job in one go. If like me you were planning on doing it in stages we could end up Drowned like DerekXJ. The 90degree up turn as well as the precleaner will be needed to prevent this from happening.
Thank you for your post DerekXJ. This will still work but without the cap we are just begging to get hydolocked. I'm considering a water trap like on a sink or crapper with a drain plug to allow removal of water before it is ingested. I need to make some measurements to see if there is room. Though it should not be necessary with the precleaner on top.
What are you referring to by a precleaner?
Putting a hummer snorkel in the cowl should eliminate ALL water from getting in!

Tags
diy , intake , pre-filter , snorkel

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.