Magnetic mirror for doorless? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 Old 06-26-2008, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
jcssurf
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Magnetic mirror for doorless?

I've got full doors on the Unlimited and I've never really liked aftermarket mirrors or brackets that people use when they run doorless. Plus I've got a congo-cage rack which eliminated half of the brackets I could use anyways.

So I was thinking of taking a cheapo mirror from an autoparts store, adding some magnets to the base, and slapping it on the body whenever I take the doors off. If I did a good job, it would look like a permanent mirror and I doubt people would be that inclined to steal it. Or I could even pull it off when I park and throw it in the console.

I like running doorless and I don't even know if mirrors are required in VA, but I want one because I feel safer with it. So I went to Advance Auto at lunch and wasn't that impressed with their styles. So then I googled "magnetic car mirror" and found this:

http://www.cargoviewmirror.com/index.html

It seems like just what I want and big enough to see a blind spot just fine. Plus it's cheap. I might go ahead and order it. If it doesn't work so well I may use it for it's intended purpose (keeping an eye on my surfboards).

Opinions?

2004 TJ-L with 3-4" of lift, 35's, and no money

The Unlimiteds shall inherit the earth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 06-26-2008, 12:18 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

With the leverage a mirror would have against a magnetic base, I doubt it'd hang on through very many bumps/dips in the road. And one fall to the street would likely break the mirror's glass. It'd have to be a REALLY strong magnet for me to have any faith in it.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #3 of 48 Old 06-26-2008, 12:20 PM
_Yeti_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

That is pretty cool. I would avoid a magnet for fear that it would damage the paint. I would think the wind resistance would cause it to slide a little and I doubt that is good for the paint.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Carolina Offroad

post #4 of 48 Old 06-26-2008, 12:22 PM
lynn

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I like it!!

Now I know what I'm going to do with those two speaker magnets I've been saving... make my own magnetic mirrors...

Make a scratch-free base for it. It should be fine for doors-off street and highway driving. On the trail, toos them in back.

Lynn
'05 LJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 48 Old 06-26-2008, 12:34 PM
ranger140892
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Consider the fate of the vehicle behind you on the highway when a magnetic mirror falls off your Yeep.
post #6 of 48 Old 06-26-2008, 12:43 PM
tjopilot

Good call JCSSURF! Thats exactly what I've been looking for just in case I get pulled over by a cop in my beach town. Any idea how many inches across the mirror is?

2001 Wranger TJ with 4" Skyjacker lift and 35" BFG Mud Terrains on Cragar 8s
post #7 of 48 Old 06-26-2008, 01:28 PM
newracer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Notice that all the pictures show it mounted on a horizontal surface, not a vertical one. I doubt it will stay on a vertical surface.

post #8 of 48 Old 06-26-2008, 01:34 PM
Wireless
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
With the leverage a mirror would have against a magnetic base, I doubt it'd hang on through very many bumps/dips in the road. And one fall to the street would likely break the mirror's glass. It'd have to be a REALLY strong magnet for me to have any faith in it.
Ask and you shall receive, put 3 or 4 of these babies in a non-scratch base: http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=B999

The question isn't so much is it doable (they carry even stronger magnets) it becomes one of cost/performance. By the time you get a powerful enough magnet, have you priced yourself out of making it practical? I like the idea though, innovative!

R
post #9 of 48 Old 06-26-2008, 01:46 PM
ranger140892
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireless View Post
Ask and you shall receive, put 3 or 4 of these babies in a non-scratch base: http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=B999

The question isn't so much is it doable (they carry even stronger magnets) it becomes one of cost/performance. By the time you get a powerful enough magnet, have you priced yourself out of making it practical? I like the idea though, innovative!

R
And even with a super magnet, does thin Yeep sheet metal have enough mass for the magnet to attract? Most of the magnet's force would be unused. Placing another super magnet on the other side of the sheet metal would help but I would never trust it.
post #10 of 48 Old 06-26-2008, 01:48 PM
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

A friend of mine had a magetic mirror on his omni years ago, I've been looking for one ever since. I will email the company and see if they will give us one to test out. I gave them a link to this thread. Unless of course someone is willing to spend $27 and report back to us?
post #11 of 48 Old 06-26-2008, 02:04 PM
bremz8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

i used to deliver pizza the magnets used for a car topper have a rubber sleeve or covering rather and have a ton of strength on body panels i would trust them infact im going to use the magnets off my old car topper to magnetize my lights when i get my jeep back tonight
post #12 of 48 Old 06-26-2008, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
jcssurf
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I've got a giant LED lamp held to the side of my Jeep tub (by the inside of the door) by a magnet about the size of a silver dollar, and it hasn't moved an inch since I put it there. There are plenty of strong magnets out there, and if your base was big enough you wouldn't need a very strong one. Think about all of the emergeny lights that people flip on top of their trucks, or pizza signs that have a ton of wind resistance...all magnets.

I don't think they show any vertically mounted ones because that defeats the purpose of what they are selling it for. They are selling it as a way to watch roof-top cargo.

A little felt or rubber could keep it from damaging paint. That would be easy.

I'm probably going to do it. I'll report back what I find. It would be pretty slick if it works. I have not ruled out making one, either.

2004 TJ-L with 3-4" of lift, 35's, and no money

The Unlimiteds shall inherit the earth.
post #13 of 48 Old 06-26-2008, 03:05 PM
ieatchickens
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I don't like the idea of driving behind your Jeep going 70 into a headwind. There is some serious wind resistance wanting to pop that magnet off your vertical surface and attack me.

I don't see why all these mirror mounts are being sold with such a simple idea like this:

http://www.4x4xplor.com/doorless-mirror.html

Why not use that door hinge thats just sitting there?

98' SE, Chili Pepper Red, grizzly wheels, 126AA/103AA to 129AA/105AA coil swap, 3/4" spacer, 31 Yoko Geolander AT, soft top, rear view mirror turned upside down, door straps twisted, rubicon wipers, optional factory rear sway bar, doors & top on.
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club Member #1
06' Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 liter V8
99' Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 liter V8
post #14 of 48 Old 06-26-2008, 04:32 PM
brrempel

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Magnets out of a computer hard drive placed on each side of my hand will stick together. They will stick a mirror to your Jeep and hold it on through a tornado.

post #15 of 48 Old 06-26-2008, 06:08 PM
sealion2288
1998 TJ Wrangler 

A vacuum (suction) mount would be safer. I use similar mounts on my boat (for portable GPS and XM receiver)without fail...I'm sure they would stay put on the road. Much less chance of damage to your paint, as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.